Getting A Free Upgrade To Business Class

autan

A friend of mine was flying from London to San Francisco on BA, in economy, yesterday, as they were in the queue for boarding the captain boarded the plane and told the crew to upgrade my mate and his wife.

I wish I had a BA captain as my next door neighbour.

And I am sure if BA management knew, the Captain would be in trouble for a total lack of professionalism . If he quietly intimated his request I could understand but to say out loud I believe would break all of BA's rules. Remember this is the company who sacked senior management for keeping their first class pyjamas after a flight.

Whether you are a global mod or not I am afraid I do not believe any BA Captain would do this.

I think you are making an assumption that it was said out loud. It would be easy for him to have a quiet word to the pursor or a member of ground staff who would then arrange it.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was flying from London to San Francisco on BA, in economy, yesterday, as they were in the queue for boarding the captain boarded the plane and told the crew to upgrade my mate and his wife.

Based on scant details this sounds, like total bullsh*t. Crew, assuming you mean cabin crew, would not be able to upgrade pax prior to the door being closed. The Captain would have had to have spoken to ground staff to make his request so that they could re-jigger the upgrade/stand-by waitlist. After that, the Captain can do as he pleases, including moving pax up to empty J or P seats, although it might backfire on him, at some point.

One would think the Captain was already on the aircraft, preparing for the flight. whistling.gif

Based on scant details this sounds, like total bullsh*t. Crew, assuming you mean cabin crew, would not be able to upgrade pax prior to the door being closed. The Captain would have had to have spoken to ground staff to make his request so that they could re-jigger the upgrade/stand-by waitlist. After that, the Captain can do as he pleases, including moving pax up to empty J or P seats, although it might backfire on him, at some point.

One would think the Captain was already on the aircraft, preparing for the flight. whistling.gif

It really hurts to say but for once I agree with lomatopo. I can not see a professional organisation like BA allowing this. Once the doors are shut and a quiet word in the CSD's ear maybe.......

Sorry I have just realised the one fatal flaw. At LHR BA crew do not board via the gate, they arrive by bus and use the air bridge steps. Sorry I do not believe the story at all.

Edited by RabC