Heavy Rain Causes Traffic Chaos In Bangkok; Flooding In Phetchabun, Phichit

webfact

A couple of the monks who live here at the Thai temple in Phoenix, Arizona tell me that they have talked to their families back home, up North of Phetchabun, and it's raining like crazy. Raining hard. That's what they tell me., They say their families keep their clothes in a suitcase, just in case.

The rain contributes to the unsafe driving techniques used by Thai's. Speed in the wet, too close to the car in front, lane hopping, push and shove, creating lanes because too damned lazy to wait in line then having to force their way back in, even driving down the middle of the road and not through water that is banked up against the kerb (<deleted> is that about?) and on it goes. Lots of rear enders today and no doubt more to come.

Driver education and severe penalties for sheer stupidity and road rules being broken would go a long way towards fixing the problems as would getting rid of the idiots controlling the traffic lights. Sync them up and don't have any more than 60 seconds between changes (duh - such basic stuff!) But T.i.T. Nothing will change and if they created a speed (car pool lane) lane for 3 in one car it would just create another lane of chaos. Nope - we're stuck with it I'm afraid.

Yep, my journey to work is less than 2 kms and normally takes me about 15 minutes. This morning it took over an hour. I didn't move at all for over 20 minutes at one point.

2 KMs and a nominal 15 minutes? That's about 1.6 miles in 15 minutes. Too bad Bangkok is so hot and humid. A 1.6mile walk is exercise we could all use.

• Like 1

OMG I am beside myself! Say it is not so! Flooding in BKK! How is that possible after they promised the world, no more flooding! I have lost total confidence in Thai politicians and weather scientists! Where is NASA when you need them? Oh I forgot Thailand told them to go home. I am rolling on the ground laughing my ass off. All that waste of planning, politicizing, BSing, money and now this. I guess you can truly say Karma is working for Thailand.

Edited by rbrooks

OMG I am beside myself! Say it is not so! Flooding in BKK! How is that possible after they promised the world, no more flooding! I have lost total confidence in Thai politicians and weather scientists! Where is NASA when you need them? Oh I forgot Thailand told them to go home. I am rolling on the ground laughing my ass off. All that waste of planning, politicizing, BSing, money and now this. I guess you can truly say Karma is working for Thailand.

Didn't flood up by Soi 77 (Soi Annut) and Suk area last year. smile.png

Oh Happy daaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!! Oh Happy raaaaaiiiiin!!!!!!!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh,.... Btw,.... The stubborn people of the governments are testing the flood ways. You get it???cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Maybe they seeded the clouds over Bangkok just to make the tests more realistic!!coffee1.gif.

I guess the only reason you didn't get flamed by members from 'last year flooded Bangkok areas' is that flaming is against forum rules.

BTW I live/lived in Khet Dusit, dry as a bone, sorry wai.gif

• Like 1

I can think of only one major world city: Singapore, that doesn't lock up when hit by heavy, sustained rains. Singapore only because they make owning a car so dam_n expensive that there aren't enough vehicles to jam up.

And thanks to the Brits they have substantial monsoon ditches to carry excess water away or at least they did 50 years ago.

The good news for Thailand is that the Government are offering tax discounts to buyers of new cars. Sheer bloody madness. Soon BKK will be the World's biggest parking lot.

Allow me to correct : Soon BKK wiil be the World's biggest HUB of parking...

• Like 1

And thanks to the Brits they have substantial monsoon ditches to carry excess water away or at least they did 50 years ago.

I once spent a night in one of those monsoon ditches due to a downpour of Tiger Beer on a run ashore whilst the ratings and chiefs were doing R.N. things some 45 years ago. Happy Andrew Days.

Am quietly wetting myself here. When I read the OP it took me back to the night I took a header into one of those rotten drains after a skinfull of G&T Then you post this.biggrin.pngcheesy.gif As you say ...Happy days and wasn't Singapore fun then?

Me three.

I almost disappeared down one of those goddamned drains one night after imbibing heavily at Boat Quay and stumbling home, shortly after moving to Singapore years ago. Twisted my ankle massively- thought it was broken! Learned the lesson the hard way, and managed to avoid all drains after that!

I can think of only one major world city: Singapore, that doesn't lock up when hit by heavy, sustained rains. Singapore only because they make owning a car so dam_n expensive that there aren't enough vehicles to jam up.

The good news for Thailand is that the Government are offering tax discounts to buyers of new cars. Sheer bloody madness. Soon BKK will be the World's biggest parking lot.

Like the M25 already is?

I once spent a night in one of those monsoon ditches due to a downpour of Tiger Beer on a run ashore whilst the ratings and chiefs were doing R.N. things some 45 years ago. Happy Andrew Days.

One of my messmates had a similar experience. When he woke up in the morning the first thing he saw was a cobra about 20 feet away. Instant sobriety and Olympic standard athleticism on his part. He was ragged about it for days.

Like the M25 already is?

Don't ever mention the bloody M25 to me again. When it was built, it crossed the 1st and 18th fairways of my golf club. Thus we were left with a clubhouse one side of the motorway and the course the other. They did provide a tunnel however which tended to flood. I'm almost sure that no Thais were involved but the thought lingers.

I guess the only reason you didn't get flamed by members from 'last year flooded Bangkok areas' is that flaming is against forum rules.

BTW I live/lived in Khet Dusit, dry as a bone, sorry wai.gif

My dear rubl,

There's a silver lining in every cloud!!!