Value Of Same-Sex Registration For Thai Immigration?

Swiss1960

Maybe some of you have already made this experience, have not found information while searching forum, so here my question:

If you have a legally registered same-sex relation in your country of origin (whether it's called same-sex relation, marriage, civil union does not really matter), then how would the Thai authorities view these documents?

Assume one of the partners gets a Visa to live in Thailand (work or retirement), would the Thai accept the legal documents and see the other partner as "dependant" in the VISA processing or would they say that they don't accept such documents as such a relationship does not exist in Thailand and treat both persons as individuals with regards to VISA requirements?

They are worthless in Thailand, as I have said before here and explained why - the regulations depend on the country you are IN, not the country you are FROM.

"Marriage" anywhere is ONLY valid in another country if it is consistent with the regulations of that country. That doesn't just apply to same-sex marriage but to any other type of marriage, such as child brides, polygamy, etc.

I wouldn't say same-sex marriages are worthless. However, it is correct that they are not recognized by the Thai authorities in any way.

Neither would I, Tom, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered getting mine - I was referring purely to their "worth" in Thailand (or anywhere else that does not recognise same-sex marriage/Civil Partnerships)