Linux Foundation Linux Mark Program

linuxuser010101

I just received confirmation today that our (my wife and I) Linux sublicense has been approved and we now have the approval to burn distros for distribution and use all Linux Logos. We are listed as Linux-Thai license number 20120902-0406.

I am currently working on a Buddha ubuntu AKA "BuddhaBuntu" project with Pali and Sanskrit capabilities for Buddhist Studies, I'm also trying to do something cool with Zenix because other than the wall paper it's not a great distro. My wife is good at setting up distros in Thai for people that can not read English, we can also set up machines to run Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German and French, for free of course.

Anyone want to help?

you may want to mention the kind of help you're looking for (packagers, artwork, doc writers, etc...)

Yes biggrin.png all of that. We are trying to build a Linux / Opensource community in general, any and all help is welcome. I'm not sure where to even begin to be honest as we are not running a business, I never imagined posting something like this on TV. We have space at CMU to meet and work (for those in Chiang Mai) and we should be getting some funding at least enough to get a little space at Pantip Plaza or somewhere like that. I guess graphics design is the is the first step logo, website, etc. I have all of the iso files for burning DVD's and live CD's and access to heavy printing equipment for user manuals and packaging. our website is http://www.linuxth.org/ and it needs building as it was just registered when we got the license. So, tons of stuff to do. We are also working with http://atbu.org/ on their Linux Slax6 distro http://atbu.org/files/BuddhistSlax6.iso

So, suggestions, comments and any and all help is welcome.

Interesting. I am not entirely sure what this is really all about. What is a Linux-Thai license?

Logos and reworking a *buntu distro seems more like the final step. If working towards full Pali and Sanskrit capabilities, wouldn't one start with developing xfonts and extending the existing bitstream derivatives or Opentype fonts? What about tex/ latex? Do you know what is out there in addition to the freely available unicode fonts for typesetting Romanized Pali?

Edited by Morakot

Interesting. I am not entirely sure what this is really all about. What is a Linux-Thai license?

Logos and reworking a *buntu distro seems more like the final step. If working towards full Pali and Sanskrit capabilities, wouldn't one start with developing xfonts and extending the existing bitstream derivatives or Opentype fonts? What about tex/ latex? Do you know what is out there in addition to the freely available unicode fonts for typesetting Romanized Pali?

In order to legally package and distribute Linux products and use the logo (even for free) you need to apply for a license from "Linux Foundation Linux Mark Program", this is where Linus Torvalds is based http://www.linuxfoundation.org/. As opensource products you can start a new project/product or you can work on existing projects/products or you can just give classes, free distros, books, etc. Our idea was to just form an opensource community and let people use their gifts not limited to programming as in most cases. When you apply for the license you need a name, our distribution name and the name on our license is "Linux-Thai" this is primarily for identification. We will be the only bi-lingual Linux organization in Thailand and we did this with ASEAN in mind.

just my opinion but if you want to start a project like this and ask for volunteers, you may want have something to present to the crowd. not nececessarly code but at least a to do list, a time line, design goals, something... or i'm afraid nothing will happen. not trying to be rude or discouraging but things won't just happen "like this"...

just my opinion but if you want to start a project like this and ask for volunteers, you may want have something to present to the crowd. not nececessarly code but at least a to do list, a time line, design goals, something... or i'm afraid nothing will happen. not trying to be rude or discouraging but things won't just happen "like this"...

I think, they already have some t-shirts and a logo.

also, not answering to someone asking about the very core feature of your project (Morakot's first post) won't help. again, not trying to be harsh, just a thought...

I understand what you are saying and I do agree. I guess just the excitement of actually being given the license overwhelmed us. The first plan is to see how much funding we have (including our own money we want to contribute) and decide which space we want to work in (university or computer shop). I was just kind of throwing this out there to see if anyone had interest and what skills interested people had and make a plan from there. We do not have logos or t-shirts or anything other than iso files and blank disks, we do need to design packaging and have it produced and I have no idea where to get the disks printed professionally (not burned, labeled). So, that is the kind of stuff we are looking at now. We went to Pantip Plaza today and looked at space, it's a bit depressing to be honest and I think it would cost a ton of money to make it comfortable. So, I'm kind of picking your brains and I'm not sure if this is the place to do it.

i think i'm a bit confused right now. are you trying to create a ubuntu variant or you have it already and just want to distribute iso's? if it's about giving away iso's only then maybe you should not invest into CD's and packaging and all that stuff at first (BTW when i mentioned packagers, i was talking about applications packagers, just in case). why not starting with planning an install party at the uni, 2-3 CD's, a couple of USB drives and see how succesful this is.

ubuntu for Buddhist Studies already exists as does Zenix however it seems development on them stopped and the distros are hard to find. There is much more work that can be done on these 2 distros which is something we would like to do we would also like to have people test the current versions out and tell us what they think they need or don't need. I understand what you meant by " packagers" (LMAO) but we do need to make shinny packages and design logos as well because the people with the money like shinny things not necessarily functional things (I figure they all use Mac anyway).

It would be very cool if interested people would pm me and we could set up a place to meet for those in Chiang Mai and we could do a video conference with everyone else, just a thought rather than bouncing back and forth on a forum which has lost 3 of my posts thus far and doesn't load very well for me for some reason.

A bit futile and out of topic...

But, is there any place around Bangkok where I can get Ubuntu stickers to customize some laptops ?!?

I am meeting with someone next week to do printing I can ask him, I saw what you are asking for on line but the prices were outrageous, for example a Tux decal to cover the windows button was 400 baht I was thinking more like 5 baht max. Anyway I will let you know what I find out.

A bit futile and out of topic...

But, is there any place around Bangkok where I can get Ubuntu stickers to customize some laptops ?!?

I am meeting with someone next week to do printing I can ask him, I saw what you are asking for on line but the prices were outrageous, for example a Tux decal to cover the windows button was 400 baht I was thinking more like 5 baht max. Anyway I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks...

In between, I've found this on eBay

ok - up to you, but I am dubious about your interpretation. Were you on irc about a year ago asking about this? Some of us vaguely remember something about some bhuddist orientated distro based on ubuntu.

No, that wasn't me I did not know about it a year ago nor did I have an account here on TV until very recently and only started and account because of the Linux forum here I discovered with a google search.

I personally do not have an interpretation of what the trade mark requirement states again I am not a lawyer but I was told this is what we need to do and we filled out the paperwork and spent out own money to get started. We are working within the guidelines of the law in terms of what we need to run a project and receive funding.

I am focusing on the Buddha ubuntu and Zenix projects and my wife (Jane) is focusing on the English-Thai distros. I posted here because the project has so much potential and we have a lot of funding available, I thought if other people were interested and had things they wanted to work on they could join with us or I thought some people that always wanted to contribute to project but had different skills might like to help.

That's all I'm not asking anyone for anything or any information. We have the money, the goal, the license and we are getting started, I just thought others might have a positive useful opinion as this is open source and intended to benefit everyone in one way or another.

Queen Sirikit is also supporting the Fedora Red Hat project being done here http://www.thaiall.com/isinthai/index.php

Here are two articles in English you may enjoy, they are a bit dated but you get the idea.

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/015jan06/features/asia/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/computer/213567/red-hat-reasserts-itself-in-thailand

ok - now I understand where you're coming from. :) Very happy for you getting good funding - that's a tricky first step, so congratulations on that. As for the products, you will get any amount of good and bad advice and assistance from so many points of contact with the communities associated with the distros you are workng with. I am retired now but I still take a small interest in the continuation of the open source aspects of distros and the internet in general. Freedom and self-policing are the cornerstones of the future.

The trademark and the logo of what? Every linux distro has their own......

If this does not answer your questions I can not. http://www.linuxfoun...sage-guidelines

I am not a lawyer I just abide by the rules.

Which of the following protected “trademarks” will you be using for your distro? Why?

• Linux Foundation
  • LF
  • Linux Standard Base
  • LSB
  • LSB Certified
  • IAccessible2
  • MeeGo
  • MeeGo logo
  • Software Packet Data Exchange
  • SPDX
  • Tizen
  • Yocto Project

Also a tip: You said that you are using .lmao packages. Despite these packages superb dev/null install capability, I'd say, for the sake cooperation and mutual respect, try to stick to a common format. It will make it easier in the long run!

Finally, how about organising a "Linux Tag" like conference in Thailand? This might help you to gather momentum.

Best of luck!

Edited by Morakot

The trademark and the logo of what? Every linux distro has their own......

If this does not answer your questions I can not. http://www.linuxfoun...sage-guidelines

I am not a lawyer I just abide by the rules.

Which of the following protected “trademarks” will you be using for your distro? Why?

• Linux Foundation
  • LF
  • Linux Standard Base
  • LSB
  • LSB Certified
  • IAccessible2
  • MeeGo
  • MeeGo logo
  • Software Packet Data Exchange
  • SPDX
  • Tizen
  • Yocto Project

Also a tip: You said that you are using .lmao packages. I'd say, for the sake cooperation and mutual respect, try to stick to a common format. It will make it easier in the long run!

Finally, how about organising a "Linux Tag" like conference in Thailand? This might help you to gather momentum.

I suspect that it was a necessary step in the acquisition of funding, not necessary in itself as anyone can set up their own "branding" without needing any licence for open-source material. The people who allocate the funds are probably beaurocrats and not familiar with the real situation on the ground.

I really cannot answer a lot of these questions until things are 100% decided because if plans change I do not want it said I gave inaccurate information. I also cannot (and will not) answer legal questions that's why we paid lawyers and all legal "stuff" will be posted on the website, I'm not evading the questions I'm just not qualified to answer the questions even if I think I understand.

It looks like we have a good team together and we are going to get started planning on Monday. We will be focusing on ubuntu Buddhist Studies edition and Zenix (As I have mentioned a few times) we will also be working on making these distros Thai friendly (including Thai Language) and we plan to distribute these distros to Buddhist Universities.

It would stand to reason that we would use the “trademarks” of the distros we are working with as well as our own we are now approved to create. Yes, it is all open source and I understand where people are coming from saying "it's free why bother?" The answer is so some idiot from Apple doesn't sue us saying it was their idea (like the concept of round) or some idiot doesn't take our open source distro and turn it into a capitalistic venture.

We have done everything step by step in accordance with The Linux Foundation, if it seems odd or something some of you would not do I have no comment or opinion but this is how we were told to proceed and we believe we are doing everything legally and in accordance with Linux terms and conditions. If someone has a comment, question or concern about our legitimacy I suggest contacting the Linux Foundation and verifying the information I have provided in the first post.

I really cannot answer a lot of these questions until things are 100% decided because if plans change I do not want it said I gave inaccurate information. I also cannot (and will not) answer legal questions that's why we paid lawyers and all legal "stuff" will be posted on the website, I'm not evading the questions I'm just not qualified to answer the questions even if I think I understand.

It looks like we have a good team together and we are going to get started planning on Monday. We will be focusing on ubuntu Buddhist Studies edition and Zenix (As I have mentioned a few times) we will also be working on making these distros Thai friendly (including Thai Language) and we plan to distribute these distros to Buddhist Universities.

It would stand to reason that we would use the “trademarks” of the distros we are working with as well as our own we are now approved to create. Yes, it is all open source and I understand where people are coming from saying "it's free why bother?" The answer is so some idiot from Apple doesn't sue us saying it was their idea (like the concept of round) or some idiot doesn't take our open source distro and turn it into a capitalistic venture.

We have done everything step by step in accordance with The Linux Foundation, if it seems odd or something some of you would not do I have no comment or opinion but this is how we were told to proceed and we believe we are doing everything legally and in accordance with Linux terms and conditions. If someone has a comment, question or concern about our legitimacy I suggest contacting the Linux Foundation and verifying the information I have provided in the first post.

I hope you know this: The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to fostering the growth of Linux.

If you don't mind me asking, what precisely did you pay lawyers for? Who told you to proceed 'in accordance with Linux terms and conditions' [sic]? This is the first time I heard someone joining the Linux Foundation on this basis: i.e. 'so some idiot from Apple doesn't sue' [sic]! ermm.gif ... ... blink.png

Please don't get me wrong, it's good to join the LF. Just make sure you're not taken for a ride.

Edited by Morakot

I hope you know this: The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to fostering the growth of Linux.

If you don't mind me asking, what precisely did you pay lawyers for? Who told you to proceed 'in accordance with Linux terms and conditions' [sic]? This is the first time I heard someone joining the Linux Foundation on this basis: i.e. 'so some idiot from Apple doesn't sue' [sic]! ermm.gif ... ... blink.png

Please don't get me wrong, it's good to join the LF. Just make sure you're not taken for a ride.

This is exactly what I did not want my post to turn into and exactly why I do not want to answer the "legal" questions. I'm not a PR guy and semantics elude me. The "Apple" comment was intended to be sarcastic but the point was if we do something someone does not like there is a chance they would go after us legally or call us a fraud or sue us, also with the kind of money we are dealing with we need everything in line, most of us are geeks and do not know how to deal with money in a "legal" kind of way in terms of accounting for every pizza receipt.

Of course Linux is non-profit and so should be open source (but not all is). If I had the intention of making money I would go back to my country no questions asked (it doesn't suck to spite what expats say). We also have lawyers because we are working in Thailand and we do not need any trouble setting up the foundation or with other distros nor do we want to brush up against "corruption" which has never been an issue for us but has even been mentioned in another post. The lawyers have treated us well and they are university professors doing 95% of this pro bono we are just covering their expenses.