Walking St Violence

wans

30+ years ago, in a smallish seaside town in Denmark, you would be tempting fate walking around alone downtown after dark. There were newspaper articles daily about people getting assaulted, but thugs who would do it just out of boredom or drunkenness The police would usually not arrive until the thugs had long gone, and even when they were caught they usually got short, suspended sentences.

In all the years (about 10 now) I've lived in Pattaya and gone out in Walking Street I have never even SEEN any violence. Once or twice I've seen the results of it, i.e. people being frog marched out by the cops, that's the closest.

Most Thais are actually very laid back, but there are some Thais in Pattaya who have a short fuse with rude and drunk behavior, and for that reason it is not a good idea to mouth the F word to Thais.

If you behave I'm sure Pattaya is as safe any other holiday areas in the world.

Phil you just are not going to the right places. Wait till the Farang bars close and then walk up any of those Sois in Walking street away from the Gulf. If that does not do it then go to Pattaya South road and walk up to Soi BuaKhow between 3 and 5 AM. Weave a bit as you walk. Still no action take a left and listen for the gunshots. That's where the action is. I used to do this every night. I only got mugged once in 3 years. 2 mobile phones stolen. 1 passport and lost about 3 thousand baht. Not bad for 3 years.

Why would anybody in their right mind do this? You can find the same dodgy neighborhoods in any major city anywhere in the world. Just doesn't make sense to me.

30+ years ago, in a smallish seaside town in Denmark, you would be tempting fate walking around alone downtown after dark. There were newspaper articles daily about people getting assaulted, but thugs who would do it just out of boredom or drunkenness The police would usually not arrive until the thugs had long gone, and even when they were caught they usually got short, suspended sentences.

In all the years (about 10 now) I've lived in Pattaya and gone out in Walking Street I have never even SEEN any violence. Once or twice I've seen the results of it, i.e. people being frog marched out by the cops, that's the closest.

Most Thais are actually very laid back, but there are some Thais in Pattaya who have a short fuse with rude and drunk behavior, and for that reason it is not a good idea to mouth the F word to Thais.

If you behave I'm sure Pattaya is as safe any other holiday areas in the world.

Phil you just are not going to the right places. Wait till the Farang bars close and then walk up any of those Sois in Walking street away from the Gulf. If that does not do it then go to Pattaya South road and walk up to Soi BuaKhow between 3 and 5 AM. Weave a bit as you walk. Still no action take a left and listen for the gunshots. That's where the action is. I used to do this every night. I only got mugged once in 3 years. 2 mobile phones stolen. 1 passport and lost about 3 thousand baht. Not bad for 3 years.

Why would anybody in their right mind do this? You can find the same dodgy neighborhoods in any major city anywhere in the world. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I was looking for my girlfriend.smile.png She got off work at midnight and then liked to hang out at the Issan clubs. But she would not tell me which one so I had to check them all.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

As it happens I was walking around the Soi Diana/Soi Buakao area this morning around 3am, not stone-cold-sober to not put a finer point on it. Not even felt apprehensive in the least. You keep reading about these people with all sorts of unlikely experiences here, I think some people just must be trouble-magnets. :)

• Like 2

The big difference is that this so called attack,or handbags at 10 paces are not stuck on some message board in places like the uk.If i was having a beer in stoke and someone had a dig at me i would respond the same,he wins or i win,but i certainly wouldnt go to he stoke evening sentinel and tell them to put the attack in the local newspaper.

Pattaya is not a dangerous place,Stoke on trent is,but only where beer is being sold,same same Pattaya

• Like 1

As it happens I was walking around the Soi Diana/Soi Buakao area this morning around 3am, not stone-cold-sober to not put a finer point on it. Not even felt apprehensive in the least. You keep reading about these people with all sorts of unlikely experiences here, I think some people just must be trouble-magnets. smile.png

I think you are correct. A few years back it may have been more wild west type of stuff. Now more family stuff. I don't live there anymore now I am only a weekend tourist but I do stay in the Soi Diana/Soi Buakhow area. Nice area.

As it happens I was walking around the Soi Diana/Soi Buakao area this morning around 3am, not stone-cold-sober to not put a finer point on it. Not even felt apprehensive in the least. You keep reading about these people with all sorts of unlikely experiences here, I think some people just must be trouble-magnets. smile.png

So because you weren't robbed,assaulted or killed yesterday the place can be declared crime free?

I've seen a fair few dust -ups on WS in my time, especially when the US Fleet have been in town..

Over the years, especially since the "secret" got out among the lager lout set in the West - I've seen a fair few dust-ups around Soi Buakhao and the Soi 7 and 8 area.

They however are isolated incidents when you compare it to the bedlam which one sees in resorts in the Med past 10pm every night over the summer, or European towns and cities every weekend.

American and Aussie friends tell me the picture is very much a similar one in their respective countries (and in their favoured holiday resorts).

In comparison, Pattaya is a sleepy old seaside town.....

That said, when I tell Thai friends that for many years now, I have wandered around Pattaya late at night many, many times while in a state of high Alcoholic Stimulation when I visit, yet have never come to any harm, they react as though I'm talking about Kabul.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Police mafia?

Motorcycle taxi mafia?

Russian mafia?

Police mafia?

Italian mafia?

etc.?

you forgot the cheese mafia....big $$$$$

The Italian mafia put a horses head in your bed and make you an offer you can't refuse.

The Russian mafia put a horses head under your bed and make you an offer you can't understand !

I've seen a fair few dust -ups on WS in my time, especially when the US Fleet have been in town..

Over the years, especially since the "secret" got out among the lager lout set in the West - I've seen a fair few dust-ups around Soi Buakhao and the Soi 7 and 8 area.

They however are isolated incidents when you compare it to the bedlam which one sees in resorts in the Med past 10pm every night over the summer, or European towns and cities every weekend.

American and Aussie friends tell me the picture is very much a similar one in their respective countries (and in their favoured holiday resorts).

That said, when I tell Thai friends that for many years now, I have wandered around Pattaya late at night many, many times while in a state of high Alcoholic Stimulation when I visit, yet have never come to any harm, they react as though I'm talking about Kabul.

The US Navy is required to be back to the ship at midnight and are policed by shore patrol in Pattaya. You have never seen a problem with the US Navy in Pattaya. Bunk if you say you did! Do you really think that if one US shore leave sailor had started some problem that, with all the anti American sentiment on Thai Visa that it would not have been posted all over the place?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

The US Navy is required to be back to the ship at midnight and are policed by shore patrol in Pattaya. You have never seen a problem with the US Navy in Pattaya. Bunk if you say you did!

I think Heavydrinker is talking about before your time.I've seen a few big fights with US Marines in marine bar.

That was before they were prohibited from entering disco's,about 10 years or so ago.

The US Navy is required to be back to the ship at midnight and are policed by shore patrol in Pattaya. You have never seen a problem with the US Navy in Pattaya. Bunk if you say you did!

I think Heavydrinker is talking about before your time.I've seen a few big fights with US Marines in marine bar.

That was before they were prohibited from entering disco's,about 10 years or so ago.

How did you know they were Marines on shore leave? Were they wearing uniforms?

So are they incapable of getting into bother before midnight?

Almost every time they are in Pattaya one hears of trouble.

For the record, I've seen them in plenty of scraps. Just have a drink at the Beach Road end of WS next time they're in town and watch the steady stream of them being pinched by their MPs and taken off.

So are they incapable of getting into bother before midnight?

Almost every time they are in Pattaya one hears of trouble.

For the record, I've seen them in plenty of scraps. Just have a drink at the Beach Road end of WS next time they're in town and watch the steady stream of them being pinched by their MPs and taken off.

Nonesense. I lived in Pattaya too long. I never saw or heard of any problems.

So you're saying the Navy lads have NEVER caused trouble....

Please....

You know the Pattaya press would be all over it if they did. And it never happens and they are in town frequently. It is just your imagination. This forum would declare a holiday if an American sailor got in trouble in Pattaya!

So you're saying the Navy lads have NEVER caused trouble....

Please....

Please don't waste your time on him.Take a look at his latest topic in the general topics forum. Edited by jbrain

How did you know they were Marines on shore leave? Were they wearing uniforms?

They're not exactly hard to spot.....

laugh.png Backpack,shorts,early twenties,short cut hair and a bottle of water.

Ya that is a real unusual outfit in Pattaya.

Oh, I forgot, you can spot them in the steak restaurants laugh.png

Ya right. Tell you what the next time you see one get in a fight you report it here and it will be the first post of a US sailor getting in trouble on Walking street! I wonder why it is that it has never been reported before about a drunken US sailor getting in a fight on Walking street on Thai Visa? It must be all the pro American military feelings on Thai Visa eh?

If they never stir trouble up why is there an armada of chaperons walking around ws area when they are in town ? :whistle:

Why don't you think there is never any problem? Are you daft? Men on a boat with no booze or women for long periods of time and then let loose in Pattaya! Of course there is an army of chaperons!laugh.png

Ya right. Tell you what the next time you see one get in a fight you report it here and it will be the first post of a US sailor getting in trouble on Walking street! I wonder why it is that it has never been reported before about a drunken US sailor getting in a fight on Walking street on Thai Visa? It must be all the pro American military feelings on Thai Visa eh?

I take it that you believe that Walking street and the US Navy visits already existed before you arrived in Thailand a few weeks ago.

I take it that you believe that Walking street and the US Navy visits already existed before you arrived in Thailand a few weeks ago.

I was here before Walking street and Pattaya existed buddy! The action was at Kilo Sip when I got here.