What Are The Chances Of Getting Extorted By Thai Customs, If I Bring In A 1.75 L Bottle Of Booze?

sam3384

Okay so I understand that you can only bring in 1 L per person of alcohol into the Kindgdom.

But what if I bring a large 1.75 L bottle and stash it away in my checked luggage.

Just for the record I have brought 1 L of alcohol plus several smaller bottles of wine and even had them x-rayed after collecting my luggage.

No questions were asked thankfully...

So assuming my bag gets scanned again, what is the liklihood of Thai Customs bringing out the old measuring stick to legally extort me 400% because I have an extra .75 L of booze? Are they really that anal to penalize a person because I am in fact carrying 26 oz more than my legal allotment of 33 oz?

I'll take your honest opinion whether it be positive or critical. (Don't worry I got thick skin I can handle it) wink.png

I don't know about extortion but I think the worst case is that the liquor might be confiscated?

They seem to X-ray boxes occasionally in the Green Channel, but not bags, in my limited experience.

I guess if questioned I might pretend to think the duty free allotment was one bottle, or mumble something about your spouse, who has already cleared Customs, and sharing the allotment.

• Like 1

PENALTIES FOR CUSTOMS VIOLATIONS

A fine amounting to 4 times the value of undeclared items plus tax and duty, or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, and undeclared items are also confiscated.

Typically the consequences for importation of alcohol in excess of your permitted allowance is a combination of on-the-spot fines and/or confiscation/seizure of the excess material. Thai customs tends to enforce the importation allowances of alcohol and tobacco quite strictly as these items carry substantial taxes, and too many people think they can flout the law.

Us the excess ciggerettes analogy, people who bring in more than 200 are taken to the Customs building where a huge bill magically appears, pay it or go to jail for smuggling - the bill for an additional 200 cigerettes brought into the country can easily run to 15,000 baht, you decide which way you want to go. And yes, the customs guys are very active on this front.

so I understand that you can only bring in 1 L per person of alcohol into the Kindgdom.

But what if I bring a large 1.75 L bottle and stash it away in my checked luggage.

and with the difference in price for 0.75l you buy a condo? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

In the last 10 years, I have entered the Kingdom about 60 times. I have NEVER had a bag xrayed or been asked to stop.

Just wait until they are busy with other travellers (20 seconds) , then just walk through.

Having said that, I never bring anything illegal through as I live here & grog is cheap & I don't smoke.

Take your chances but be responsible if caught.

Cheers

• Like 1

I had a bag x-rayed once. It happened to be the only time I had a bottle (1.1l of Bundaberg rum) and a carton of cigarettes. The operator of the x-ray machine didn't even bother looking at the screen as the case went through.

Thank you to everyone for all the good feedback. I liked the suggestion of lomatapo. Although it seems highly doubtful I would even get my bags x-rayed and even then more unlikely I would get problems for having a large bottle of alcohol. The 15,000 baht penalty which equates to legal extortion would really but a damper to the beginning of a holiday.

I just wish you could pay a reasonable duty penalty like when entering the States with more than the legal allotment. Oh well... Back to the drawing board.

In the last 10 years, I have entered the Kingdom about 60 times. I have NEVER had a bag xrayed or been asked to stop.

I HAVE had my checked luggage x-rayed when leaving baggage claim, more than once. It may depend more on the time of day, but it does happen.

I HAVE had my checked luggage x-rayed when leaving baggage claim, more than once. It may depend more on the time of day, but it does happen.

...and on a regular basis too.

...and on a regular basis too.

Chiang Mai Customs almost always select one bag, from my 3-4 (including carry-ons), to X-ray.

Whereas Bangkok seem much more relaxed, perhaps they don't feel under any pressure, to justify their jobs ?

Thank you to everyone for all the good feedback. I liked the suggestion of lomatapo. Although it seems highly doubtful I would even get my bags x-rayed and even then more unlikely I would get problems for having a large bottle of alcohol. The 15,000 baht penalty which equates to legal extortion would really but a damper to the beginning of a holiday.

I just wish you could pay a reasonable duty penalty like when entering the States with more than the legal allotment. Oh well... Back to the drawing board.

Can I just ask, without sounding rude .... Why do you call it "legal extortion"? The fine is the fine ... don't like it, don't bring it. Just because you don't agree with the Thai import duty/law you call it extortion?

The 15,000 baht penalty which equates to legal extortion would really but a damper to the beginning of a holiday.

Legal extortion? Another view is it's a hard slap in the face to one who has disrespected the customs people and the Kingdom. I wonder what, if anything, the customs people put in the immigration & customs databases when someone is caught smuggling. And what that means the next time immigration scans their passport.

Edited by ItDontMeanAThing

Can I just ask, without sounding rude .... Why do you call it "legal extortion"? The fine is the fine ... don't like it, don't bring it. Just because you don't agree with the Thai import duty/law you call it extortion?

It's extortion because most countries would just make you pay a small duty fee, like in the States. By letting the customs officials penalize you for as much as $500 USD amounts to "legal extortion". I call it this because although it's a ludicrous law, it's perfectly legal once I step into their turf.

The 15,000 baht penalty which equates to legal extortion would really but a damper to the beginning of a holiday.

Legal extortion? Another view is it's a hard slap in the face to one who has disrespected the customs people and the Kingdom. I wonder what, if anything, the customs people put in the immigration & customs databases when someone is caught smuggling. And what that means the next time immigration scans their passport.

I'll take a slap in the face any day over having to pay an outrageous penalty.

BTW: I have never heard of custom officals blacklisting you for a minor offense such as my example. It's just a penalty and confiscation.

What you described sounds more like a kick in the balls.

Edited by sam3384

BTW: I have never heard of custom officals blacklisting you for a minor offense such as my example. It's just a penalty and confiscation.

Because you've never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Anyway why ask the question if you're negating all the answers ?

Go ahead smuggle your 1,75 liter bottle and travel in uncertainty.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

PENALTIES FOR CUSTOMS VIOLATIONS

A fine amounting to 4 times the value of undeclared items plus tax and duty, or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, and undeclared items are also confiscated.

Isn't 10 years in jail just about the maximum the Ferrari driving, allegedly drunk hi-so rich kid faces for running down and killing the motorcycle cop the other day???

Glad to see the Thai legal system has its priorities sorted out well.... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Yermanee wai.gif

LOL. No I just think within reason and weigh the risk v consequences. I suppose I could get struck by lightening but the odds tell me that won't happen either.

You need better reading comprehension. I didn't "negate everyone's answers." I told the last guy that I have never heard of people getting blacklisted for committing a very minor offense.

On post #11 I thanked everyone for their feedback and paraphrased that the risk outweighs the reward.

Other than the unecessary posturing on your part, everyone else has been very helpful here.

Yermanee wai.gif

LOL. No I just think within reason and weigh the risk v consequences. I suppose I could get struck by lightening but the odds tell me that won't happen either.

You need better reading comprehension. I didn't "negate everyone's answers." I told the last guy that I have never heard of people getting blacklisted for committing a very minor offense.

On post #11 I thanked everyone for their feedback and paraphrased that the risk outweighs the reward.

Other than the unecessary posturing on your part, everyone else has been very helpful here.

I'm not posturing I'm just telling you that you've made up your mind before asking here on ThaiVisa.

You should know that not all answers you receive will be to your liking.

Yermanee wai.gif

I went on to say that I wait until they stop others, then just walk through. It may be luck, but also some planning.

As stated, I never have anything anyhow so shouldn't really worry.

Just like beating the system I guess

OP, Attempting to import a quantity of liquor only slightly in excess of the limit is not a big deal, especially not in Thailand. If I were you, I probably wouldn't have even asked this question but I guess it depends on how well we know Thailand.

In general, you won't get stopped by customs anyway, unless you are carrying a whole lot of luggage, are very nervous or there was a tip-off that you may be attempting to bring in a prohibited item. I have only been stopped once after all these years and I was carrying a lot of luggage then.

Of course it's best to be legal, but when it comes to a slightly higher than allowed quantity of alcohol, you really shouldn't be making a big deal. The worst that could happen is confiscation of the excess or even the whole amount. In the past, I have also brought in two or three bottles of wine and there was no problem, even when I was carrying them in my Sydney airport duty free bag, clearly visible to the customs officers!

i got stopped (an officer followed alongside me, and whispered in my ear to follow him - which was quite scary)

i went in the office, and he asked if i had cigarettes with me..... i said i had 400, which is of course 200 more than the limit......

he kind of smiled, looked me up and down, and let me go

i later read on here that some guys brought in 400, and were "fined" 25,000B...... each if i remember right.....

OP, Attempting to import a quantity of liquor only slightly in excess of the limit is not a big deal, especially not in Thailand. If I were you, I probably wouldn't have even asked this question but I guess it depends on how well we know Thailand.

In general, you won't get stopped by customs anyway, unless you are carrying a whole lot of luggage, are very nervous or there was a tip-off that you may be attempting to bring in a prohibited item. I have only been stopped once after all these years and I was carrying a lot of luggage then.

Of course it's best to be legal, but when it comes to a slightly higher than allowed quantity of alcohol, you really shouldn't be making a big deal. The worst that could happen is confiscation of the excess or even the whole amount. In the past, I have also brought in two or three bottles of wine and there was no problem, even when I was carrying them in my Sydney airport duty free bag, clearly visible to the customs officers!

Go and read Post #3 again, most of your advice is plain wrong.

i got stopped (an officer followed alongside me, and whispered in my ear to follow him - which was quite scary)

i went in the office, and he asked if i had cigarettes with me..... i said i had 400, which is of course 200 more than the limit......

he kind of smiled, looked me up and down, and let me go

i later read on here that some guys brought in 400, and were "fined" 25,000B...... each if i remember right.....

I've had similar happen to me although I don't even smoke! I have known people get caught litterally minutes off the plane from the UK and they ended up being find tens of thousands of baht and heavily intimidated, to say it spoils a holiday is an understatement.