English Book Shop In Bangkok_

triplex76

There are plenty of bookstores in Bangkok that sell English books, try Emporium (BTS Phrom Pong) they have Asia books and another very big bookstore (forgot the name) on the same floor.

Also other shopping centers like Siam Paragon and Central World will have bookstores selling English books.

Kinokuniya in The Emporium and the new trendy shopping center (Siam Paragon?) is as good as Barnes and Nobles and that ilk. Why wait for something that we already have? :o

Wow, I really disagree with that. The Kino in Paragon is much bigger than the one in the Emporium, that's true; but the larger stock seems mostly to be made up of engineering and business text books and other stuff that no one really buys. The stock of 'actual books,' the stuff people buy to read every day, is really awful. The closest real bookstores to Thailand are the Borders and Kinokuniya in Singapore, which really are the equivalent of the big stores in the US and the UK. The bookstores we have here are lousy.

agree with BORDERS, but as KL is nearer to Thailand than SG, I would recommend to go to the heaven of a bookstore, BORDER's at Time Square Mall, KL, near Bukit Bintang. 3 floors, huge as huge can be. only that bookstore alone is worth the flight to KL.... everytime I go to KL (and thats 2-3 times a year) I end up with carrying around 17-18 Kg "handluggage" (small sized and therefore not suspicious to the nasty airasia-staff at KLIA, in a sales-rep-suitcase)

Kinokuniya in The Emporium and the new trendy shopping center (Siam Paragon?) is as good as Barnes and Nobles and that ilk. Why wait for something that we already have? :o

Wow, I really disagree with that. The Kino in Paragon is much bigger than the one in the Emporium, that's true; but the larger stock seems mostly to be made up of engineering and business text books and other stuff that no one really buys. The stock of 'actual books,' the stuff people buy to read every day, is really awful. The closest real bookstores to Thailand are the Borders and Kinokuniya in Singapore, which really are the equivalent of the big stores in the US and the UK. The bookstores we have here are lousy.

I really wonder what it is that you are looking for.

At least in South East Asia ( I have never been to a Borders in The US or UK ), these huge stores that you are talking about are FILLED with cr*p books which can easily be bought at a quarter of the price of Borders from stores that sell remaindered books for what they are actually worth.

The huge stores have to fill the shelves with something and big, high quality stores like Kinokiniya already have all the titles that people actually buy, so the huge ones are stuck with stuffing the shelves with second rate titles at first rate prices.

Personally, I don't like wading through garbage to get to the good stuff, so I stear clear of these "super-stores" when it comes to books. Kinokiniya has an excellent selection of the best quality books and they have already pruned out the worthless garbage so that it is easy to find the cream of the crop. :D

I really wonder what it is that you are looking for.

At least in South East Asia ( I have never been to a Borders in The US or UK ), these huge stores that you are talking about are FILLED with cr*p books which can easily be bought at a quarter of the price of Borders from stores that sell remaindered books for what they are actually worth.

The huge stores have to fill the shelves with something and big, high quality stores like Kinokiniya already have all the titles that people actually buy, so the huge ones are stuck with stuffing the shelves with second rate titles at first rate prices.

Personally, I don't like wading through garbage to get to the good stuff, so I stear clear of these "super-stores" when it comes to books. Kinokiniya has an excellent selection of the best quality books

SO DOES BORDER'S, ONLY THAT THEY HAVE A MUCH BIGGER SELECTION OF EVERYTHING AND IS NOT ORIENTED TOWARDS THE JAPANESE COMMUNITY THAT MUCH

and they have already pruned out the worthless garbage so that it is easy to find the cream of the crop. :D

agree with BORDERS, but as KL is nearer to Thailand than SG, I would recommend to go to the heaven of a bookstore, BORDER's at Time Square Mall, KL, near Bukit Bintang. 3 floors, huge as huge can be. only that bookstore alone is worth the flight to KL.... everytime I go to KL (and thats 2-3 times a year) I end up with carrying around 17-18 Kg "handluggage" (small sized and therefore not suspicious to the nasty airasia-staff at KLIA, in a sales-rep-suitcase)

Thanks for that. I've never bothered to check out Borders in KL, but I will now. At least I guess I won't bump into Ulysses G there. He's happy with Kino in Thailand. But then, as Woody Allen said, clams are happy.....

I am a prolific reader and have been all of my life. I also own a small chain of bookstores selling both used and new books and I know what sells well in Thailand and what books are remaindered because they sell very poorly. These make up most of the books that are in Borders and that type of bookstore and are not in Kinokuniya.

By the way, I am American and have nothing to do with Kinokuniya, other than enjoying the English language branches of their store immensely, which are targeted at native English speaking customers; THEY ARE NOT "ORIENTED" TOWARDS THE JAPANESE. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I was in Kinokuniya just yesterday at Siam Paragon! Fabulous store! y friend (up visiting from Jomtien was able to find 3 books to finish out a series by a British author ... a couple of books of crossword puzzles etc.

I was able to buy some Sci-Fi that I had been looking for in BKK for 2 years (last book in a series X2) and language books for Khmer and a couple of basic books in Thai language. Amazing that we could do that all in one place!