Sukhothai Business District Flooded

webfact

Good news. Plodprasob just promised on a Thai TV channel that he would resign should Bangkok get flooded.

If you take a poll tomorrow from most of the people in the flood zone they will probably say "open the bloody sluice gates at those dams, ...all the way now"!

Fully open 2 gates either at Bhumibol or Sirkit for 14 days, then the authorities can simulate the scenario very close to the 2011 flood if not bigger than it. Sluices gate operation shall be handled experts. It is extremely wrong to take for granted a senior technician knows how to handle it. What is the tricky part? Incompetent gate operators has tendency to assume down stream water level by looking level rise immediately after the gate. This is a deadly mistake since most of the time water level rise after the gate is very much lower then the possible rise at dowstream. I think what had happened to Sukhotai currently carried the same sign of such mistake. I derived this conclusion based on the fact that Plodprasob said that the authorities had lowered the sluice gate to enable repair work to be done on the breached dyke. I can't think of any reason why the sluice gate upstream had to be opened when floods had already occurred. If the sluice guide belong to either Bhumibol or Sirkit, I can conclude right now that it was a terrible mistake. There is no reason for any sluice gate at these two dams to be opened except to supply the waters to stakeholders. If I were him I would have instruct EGAT to reduce power generation from Bhumibol and Sirkit down to 30% or even lower. By doing this the Chao Pharaya peak discharge will reduce by 350-400 cubic meter per second until the Chao Pharaya water level falls back below the lowest flood level. This helps to reduce flood levels at many areas downstream.

Thank you for your excellent input. It never ceases to amaze me the real experts that exist in the TV membership. We have lawyers, we have rail engineers, motor car structural engineers, police, medical staff etc etc, and on this thread we have someone who really knows what they are talking about regarding dam operations! wai.gif I just wish you could get a consultancy job with the Thai Government, there could be many people much better off at the moment (and with dry feet) if you could.

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water hasn't gone down where I live in the middle of town for 2 and a half days now seriously need to sort it out.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

Much sympathy, but Plodprasop has promised the water will be gone in 2 days blink.png (that was stated yesterday), keep us advised and I hope you and your kin remain safe.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Gabion floodwall being built to control Sukhothai flood

image_20120912102717B8843CF3-B1EB-BBE2-1D7DBED493EA1ED8.jpg

SUKHOTHAI, Sept 12 - Thailand's Third Army Commander led teams of soldiers and mobilised equipment to build a gabion flood wall in an attempt to control the floodwater rushing from the Yom River, which is submerging the Sukhothai provincial seat.

A rock-filled gabion is being built to reach a height of 1.5 metres behind the flood levee at the Yom River. The work was 40 per cent complete as of Wednesday morning.

Meanwhile, the broken levee base, which allowed the floodwater to gush into the city, is being fixed by sheet piles to slow down the floodwater.

The new structure is expected to recover the flood situation after giant rock and sand bag embankments failed to handle the fast flowing floodwater, from upstream North.

Local authorities use boats to distribute relief supplies to affected villagers.

About 80 pumps will be used to drain water out after the floodwater is brought under control. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-12

Good news. Plodprasob just promised on a Thai TV channel that he would resign should Bangkok get flooded.

If you take a poll tomorrow from most of the people in the flood zone they will probably say "open the bloody sluice gates at those dams, ...all the way now"!

Fully open 2 gates either at Bhumibol or Sirkit for 14 days, then the authorities can simulate the scenario very close to the 2011 flood if not bigger than it. Sluices gate operation shall be handled experts. It is extremely wrong to take for granted a senior technician knows how to handle it. What is the tricky part? Incompetent gate operators has tendency to assume down stream water level by looking level rise immediately after the gate. This is a deadly mistake since most of the time water level rise after the gate is very much lower then the possible rise at dowstream. I think what had happened to Sukhotai currently carried the same sign of such mistake. I derived this conclusion based on the fact that Plodprasob said that the authorities had lowered the sluice gate to enable repair work to be done on the breached dyke. I can't think of any reason why the sluice gate upstream had to be opened when floods had already occurred. If the sluice guide belong to either Bhumibol or Sirkit, I can conclude right now that it was a terrible mistake. There is no reason for any sluice gate at these two dams to be opened except to supply the waters to stakeholders. If I were him I would have instruct EGAT to reduce power generation from Bhumibol and Sirkit down to 30% or even lower. By doing this the Chao Pharaya peak discharge will reduce by 350-400 cubic meter per second until the Chao Pharaya water level falls back below the lowest flood level. This helps to reduce flood levels at many areas downstream.

Thank you for your excellent input. It never ceases to amaze me the real experts that exist in the TV membership. We have lawyers, we have rail engineers, motor car structural engineers, police, medical staff etc etc, and on this thread we have someone who really knows what they are talking about regarding dam operations! wai.gif I just wish you could get a consultancy job with the Thai Government, there could be many people much better off at the moment (and with dry feet) if you could.

Get real. That would generate massive loss of face. Would he get a work permit? Would anybody take notice of a farang? He not Thai, no understand. There had already been ample evidence that it is thought that the physical laws that govern the World do not apply in Thailand. I am patiently waiting for some moron come up with the idea of buying huge fans to push the rain back up into the sky.

Get real. That would generate massive loss of face. Would he get a work permit? Would anybody take notice of a farang? He not Thai, no understand. There had already been ample evidence that it is thought that the physical laws that govern the World do not apply in Thailand. I am patiently waiting for some moron come up with the idea of buying huge fans to push the rain back up into the sky.

I would like to ask you about your ability to annoy complete strangers?

How someone turns a laudatory comment into another reason to bitch and moan is a bit mystifying.

Take a pinch of salt and relaaaaax, and breeeeath oneeeeeeee, twooooooooo, threeeeeeee annnnnnnd breath out.

Authorities plan to repair failed levee in Sukhothai in 48 hours

BANGKOK, Sept 12 - A meeting of the flood and water management committee, chaired by Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi today planned to fix eroded levee with 48 hours to control Sukhothai’s flooding.

Irrigation Department Director General Lertwiroj Kowattana,told the meeting that a 1.5 metre gabion wall with large rocks and sandbags is being used to fight floodwaters from the Yom River.

At the century old Suphanburi market, labourers and residents are working to fill sandbags and install pumps in preparation for likely flooding as the water level in the Tha Chin River rises.

In the capital, Bangkok's drainage and sewerage department director said that last night’s rain has not affected the water level in major canals as it was drained within two hours, so the overall situation is not worrying.

Meanwhile, the Red Cross invited volunteers to assemble 1,500 relief supply kits to send to flood victims in Ayutthaya. Twelve Red Cross offices across the country have mobile units on hand to assist local residents in case of emergency. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-12

So Ex- PM Abhisit was here yesterday and the current PM is here today, pointing at things and looking concerned for the pictures. Channel 7 news are also here and they are giving out food and drinks to the affected.

In the 3 days I have been made prisoner by the floods I have seen one large truck with 20 sandbags come up the soi to help an old dear with no defences againgst the water and that was 20 minutes ago. Luckily my boss a local Thai big wig walked up the soi and shouted me out this morning with some food, water and a first aid kit for me and my wife.

People could be seriously screwed in many small streets and no-one has been delegated to go house to house and at least try and check on folk in these smaller soi's.

I just hope everyone is ok.

jambco984

So Ex- PM Abhisit was here yesterday and the current PM is here today, pointing at things and looking concerned for the pictures. Channel 7 news are also here and they are giving out food and drinks to the affected.

In the 3 days I have been made prisoner by the floods I have seen one large truck with 20 sandbags come up the soi to help an old dear with no defences againgst the water and that was 20 minutes ago. Luckily my boss a local Thai big wig walked up the soi and shouted me out this morning with some food, water and a first aid kit for me and my wife.

People could be seriously screwed in many small streets and no-one has been delegated to go house to house and at least try and check on folk in these smaller soi's.

jambco984

Appreciate the first hand account and maybe I missed something or you have just worded something wrong but why are you a prisoner if your boss can walk up your Soi?

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

jambco984

Appreciate the first hand account and maybe I missed something or you have just worded something wrong but why are you a prisoner if your boss can walk up your Soi?

Sorry my house isn't under water, it's knee deep outside but I have sandbags so no water indoors, the main road at the end is nipple deep and moving at quite a pace, my boss has a boat and a small team, rich folk helping out. I joked with him, you will be in the local paper for helping he just smiled as he knows publicity for a few hours graft will elevate his status even higher.

Edited by jambco984

jambco984

Sorry my house isn't under water, it's knee deep outside but I have sandbags so no water indoors, the main road at the end is nipple deep and moving at quite a pace, my boss has a boat and a small team, rich folk helping out. I joked with him, you will be in the local paper for helping he just smiled as he knows publicity for a few hours graft will elevate his status even higher.

I hope things get better and return to normal quickly .... any word locally on when that might be expected?

• Like 1

Shabba = Legend .. Well said oh great one xxxxx

Cheers Robson I tried calling you earlier but my phones on the fritz not been able to get to the dtac shop to pay my bill so I've probably been cut off for now. I seen you called me but well I dont have a clue.

SHABBA!!!!!

jambco984

I hope things get better and return to normal quickly .... any word locally on when that might be expected?

Thanks a lot Apparently 2 more days before the water will considerably go down, its gone down a little at my end of town but Im talking maybe an inch or 2.

• Like 1

How many people have been there?

Not many.

Not an important place.

go back from where you come from and read the books about SUKS i have been here a long time and it gets flooded every year and we except this but not like it.SUKHOTHAI is one of the most important places in LOS people are in great danger and you just make fun .please dont come here its not nice JUST like YOU. I HOPE everyone eles is ok. SORRY MODS

Yingluck vows Sukhothai floods will subside in two days

The floods in Sukhothai should subside in two days and remedial action will be reaching those affected very soon, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Thursday.

She was speaking during a working trip to the flooded province Thursday.

Yingluck and her team waded through knee-high brownish water in the heart of the provincial capital to hand out food and other relief items.

The prime minister said she was confident that the situation would soon return to normal

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Yingluck-vows-Sukhothai-floods-will-subside-in-two-30190353.html

Well said Gentleman Jim,

As a resident of Sukhothai, people on this thread should shut their mouths and get the arse down here and see what is really happening you total waste of space mother fxxxxxxs !!!!!!!!!!!

Its a Thai thing...cannot blame us today, take your anger out on those with an extra 120 billion in their pockets.

Yingluck vows Sukhothai floods will subside in two days

The floods in Sukhothai should subside in two days and remedial action will be reaching those affected very soon, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Thursday.

She was speaking during a working trip to the flooded province Thursday.

Yingluck and her team waded through knee-high brownish water in the heart of the provincial capital to hand out food and other relief items.

The prime minister said she was confident that the situation would soon return to normal

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Yingluck-vows-Sukhothai-floods-will-subside-in-two-30190353.html

It's been hosing down up north for 3weeks. Rivers are full up there.

How much to fix an 80 meter wall.? 10 million? A stop in this ocean of 120,000,000,000