Have 7/11 Stopped Selling Cigarettes?

Pormax

Marlboro and L&M are made in the Philippines especially for Thailand and imported from there. There is an official Philip Morris factory there. So CanadianChicken is right in that they are not imported from Canada, but he is wrong in saying that they're fake. The Marlboros are the real deal.

There are plenty of Marlboros and L&Ms in Family Marts, so I reckon there has been an almighty f*** up by 7-11's buying department.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not about to take an insult. Drinking with my mom and dad? Yes i am, my mom recenty recovered from cancer, im enjoying her company as much as i can. As for allegations against my age, you dont know where i come from in canada, boy. Ive experienced much in my small age and i still respect my ancients and elders. You have an issue com bring to my face son, eight years boxing two years muay thai... Im more of a man than you. I respect, i perservere and i learn. You ever again voice such disraspect to me and my family, give a location... I dont tolerate.

I do not quiver in fear so much as shake with laughter.

though i see an apology has been issued.

i do wonder what a Canadian would know about the machinations of Phillip Morris and Marlboro, Marlboro products are not sold in Canada.

http://www.cigarette...rlboro_Canadian

easy on the generalizations or there will be two of us handing you a cup o whoopass cheesy.gif

Im not about to take an insult. Drinking with my mom and dad? Yes i am, my mom recenty recovered from cancer, im enjoying her company as much as i can. As for allegations against my age, you dont know where i come from in canada, boy. Ive experienced much in my small age and i still respect my ancients and elders. You have an issue com bring to my face son, eight years boxing two years muay thai... Im more of a man than you. I respect, i perservere and i learn. You ever again voice such disraspect to me and my family, give a location... I dont tolerate.

i do wonder what a Canadian would know about the machinations of Phillip Morris and Marlboro, Marlboro products are not sold in Canada.

easy on the generalizations or there will be two of us handing you a cup o whoopass cheesy.gif

in Canadian parlance that would be a can o' whup-ass.

a cup o' whoopass is best consumed with pinkie extended.

Anyways, in response im likely to do any of the following, so be forewarned:

Unsnapping a Purse o’ Politeness

Decanting a Carafe o’ Contrition

Unzipping a Fanny Pack o’ Friendliness

Sipping a Demitasse o’ Diplomacy

Refrigerating the Tupperware o’ Temperance

Unscrewing a Thermos o’ Thoughtfulness

Gently Folding a Napkin o’ Negotiation

Checking the Date on a Carton o’ Caution

Serving an Apéritif o’ Avoidance

Unpacking a Portmanteau o’ Panic

Emptying a Wastebasket o’ Withdrawal

Sealing and Applying Postage to an Envelope o’ Escape

Lightly Greasing a Ramekin o’ Retreat

Applying a Beechwood Veneer to a Hutch o’ Hiding

Cleaning Out a Drawer o’ Disappearance

Edited by tinfoilhat

in Canadian parlance that would be a can o' whup-ass.

a cup o' whoopass is best consumed with pinkie extended.

Anyways, in response im likely to do any of the following, so be forewarned:

Unsnapping a Purse o’ Politeness

Decanting a Carafe o’ Contrition

Unzipping a Fanny Pack o’ Friendliness

Sipping a Demitasse o’ Diplomacy

Refrigerating the Tupperware o’ Temperance

Unscrewing a Thermos o’ Thoughtfulness

Gently Folding a Napkin o’ Negotiation

Checking the Date on a Carton o’ Caution

Serving an Apéritif o’ Avoidance

Unpacking a Portmanteau o’ Panic

Emptying a Wastebasket o’ Withdrawal

Sealing and Applying Postage to an Envelope o’ Escape

Lightly Greasing a Ramekin o’ Retreat

Applying a Beechwood Veneer to a Hutch o’ Hiding

Cleaning Out a Drawer o’ Disappearance

all good but you missed the 'eh' after each one of them ;)

busted, i'm not really canadian, i just put the flag on my luggage

I can spot your fakes a mile (ooops i mean 1.6 kms away). Back to 711 and lack of fags (dont get excited jt), Seems to me that they got caught out on this. Prob distracted by the whole don muang consession thingy, took their eye off the ball. Imagine if they stopped carrying smokes and prepaid phone cards, half of them would shut overnight.

sitting here next to an overflowing ashtray on my desk, I can tell u re marlboros, because I have smoked them, light, red and even mediums for to many years.

in europe, asia and america they taste different. probably as made in different continents, but to the point that they are not even nice until you have got used to them.

I hate buying soft packs here as many ARE NOT genuine. softpacks are easy to copy ( visit cambodia for a trial run) where as the boxes cost more to make.

so I stick to the hard packs

I bought some fags from 7 the other day - first time for 4 years.

I saw some that I'd never seen before and bought them.

Got me thinking - how on earth can mew cigarettes get themselves known to smokers when no advertising is allowed.

Maybe this no advertising has been brought on by the fag companies?

I bought some fags from 7 the other day - first time for 4 years.

I saw some that I'd never seen before and bought them.

Got me thinking - how on earth can mew cigarettes get themselves known to smokers when no advertising is allowed.

Maybe this no advertising has been brought on by the fag companies?

btw - smoking is a stupid addiction - the drug doesn't even get you high.

oops - double post - please remove one - I judge me sanity on the amount of posts I 'd here.

Edited by Johnniey

Where I am in north Thailand it seems to be ok to buy from ma&pa stores but my friend yesterday did mention that he could not get Marlboro golds at two different 7/11's. Like someone mentioned before, maybe it is a problem between suppliers and the 7/11 about said tax hike and new pricing.

Where I am in north Thailand it seems to be ok to buy from ma&pa stores but my friend yesterday did mention that he could not get Marlboro golds at two different 7/11's. Like someone mentioned before, maybe it is a problem between suppliers and the 7/11 about said tax hike and new pricing.

Went to 7 today to buy smokes, out of Marlboro and L &M, I asked why and was told that there is a problem with the new tax, that they can't sell them at the new price.

"Why" I asked then, "have I had to pay the new price (90 baht) for the last two weeks?"

This was met with blank stares.

I was then told that this is the case everywhere and you can't buy Marlboro or L&M anywhere in Thailand at the moment. "even Tesco" I asked, "yes" even Tesco, I was told.

Went down the street to tesco mini mart which was fully stocked with Marlboro and L&M and bought a pack.

What a bunch of idiots....whistling.gif

I don't smoke. But, I'm thinking about starting.

Seriously, you think she is hot?

Looks pretty old and beat to me.

I was being facetioussmile.png

Ok.

For a moment there I wondered if my radar was malfunctioning

It is good to know it is still calibrated.

I don't smoke. But, I'm thinking about starting.

Problem is, like all smokers, she'd smell like an old ashtray !

fackinell i smoke and it disgusts me.

though were i there in person i am pretty sure i could overcome any misgivings i may have

That's because you would smell the same as her, for me it would be a no go area.

sitting here next to an overflowing ashtray on my desk, I can tell u re marlboros, because I have smoked them, light, red and even mediums for to many years.

in europe, asia and america they taste different. probably as made in different continents, but to the point that they are not even nice until you have got used to them.

I hate buying soft packs here as many ARE NOT genuine. softpacks are easy to copy ( visit cambodia for a trial run) where as the boxes cost more to make.

so I stick to the hard packs

I have friends here that swear to the heavens that soft packs are less harsh, claiming that if they smoke hard pack they feel it the next day, but have no problems with the soft.

i think it is <deleted>, but they are adamant

Edited by tinfoilhat

Still nothing positive as regards reason for 7/11 not selling any type of cigarettes.

A lot of off the subject posts as usual which is annoying.

Went into 7/11 again today no stock at all and blank stares when I ask WHY?

If anyone can find out what is going on I would appreciate it.

Tesco are selling cigarettes but the nearest one to me is 25km away. Don't know where there is a Family Mart.

Still nothing positive as regards reason for 7/11 not selling any type of cigarettes.

Tesco are selling cigarettes but the nearest one to me is 25km away. Don't know where there is a Family Mart.

There are plenty of small shops that have cigs in stock. Of course they may not have the brand that you like. Why not go to one of the wholesaler shops? You should be able to get your cigs and save a few baht by buying a carton.

NO, they are waiting for the new higher taxed versions to arrive with different barcodes etc. (I think)

Barcodes identify the product (and selling unit) not the price, and not the batch/lot.

Any price change (due to tax or otherwise) can be made at any time the seller deems fit, without the need to change anythign in the way the product is barcoded. It's one of the main reasons for barcoding, that you don't have to relabel everythign for every price change. (Right after the main reason of being quickly machine-readable, and tracking what goes out the door)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Interestingly we got the same story at 2 different 7/11 on waiting for the new stock for higher prices, one in BKK and one in Pattaya.

Stock arrived yesterday and new price 90 Baht for Marlborowink.png Compared to 400 Baht in Australia and not that worried.

So whilst I agree that it should not make a difference with bar codes and pricing the only logical answer is TIT, and things get done a little bit differentlywhistling.gif

Most of the time I love the differences so a little hiccup like this is fairly minor.

Cheers

7/11 near me in Chiangmai are now fully stocked with all the brands absent the last few days.

Looks like all ok now.

May I hijack the thread for a minute? Recently changed from Marlboro to American Spirit back home... and I have no idea whether I can find that new brand anywhere in Thailand? Since the change, I have not been back to the LoS and thus would appreciate to learn whether I should take my own stock with me or whether I can find that brand anyplace. Thanks

NO, they are waiting for the new higher taxed versions to arrive with different barcodes etc. (I think)

Barcodes identify the product (and selling unit) not the price, and not the batch/lot.

Any price change (due to tax or otherwise) can be made at any time the seller deems fit, without the need to change anythign in the way the product is barcoded. It's one of the main reasons for barcoding, that you don't have to relabel everythign for every price change. (Right after the main reason of being quickly machine-readable, and tracking what goes out the door)

You got me curious there Winnie (I don't know how they work!) I would have to agree with you that it shouldn't be a problem to electronically alter a bar code for price differences; makes a lot of sense to me. Here is a link to changing it manually:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7843154_adjust-bar-code-price-tickets.html

You got me curious there Winnie (I don't know how they work!) I would have to agree with you that it shouldn't be a problem to electronically alter a bar code for price differences; makes a lot of sense to me. Here is a link to changing it manually:

http://www.ehow.com/...ce-tickets.html

Thanks Winnie: Now I know who to come for advice on avoiding the coppers road blocks in Chiang Mai and barcodes smile.png

Edited by bkkjames

May I hijack the thread for a minute? Recently changed from Marlboro to American Spirit back home... and I have no idea whether I can find that new brand anywhere in Thailand? Since the change, I have not been back to the LoS and thus would appreciate to learn whether I should take my own stock with me or whether I can find that brand anyplace. Thanks

I have never seen American Spirit brand in LOS.sad.png Bring your own.smile.png