Help, I've Got A Virus!

Neeranam

can any of you experts advise me what to do?

I have a message coming up - virusscan on-access scan messages(mcaffee I think) and says I have a new malware.i virus. I am still able to use the internet but my outlook express isn't working. Last night the screeen went strange and said it was dumping physical memory or something - I looked at it doing so and panicked and shut down the computer(pulled the plug out the wall).

It says it can't be removed - so how do I find it and delete it, and clean up the mess it has made?

Any advice?

Cheers.

Edited by Neeranam

That appears to be a McAfee name for new and unknown virus behavior (it may not really be a virus in other words) and they request you forward to them to check. There should be a file mentioned I would expect. As it is unknown removal is unknown but perhaps just removal of the file if it has not been run would take care of the problem. Will let the experts guide you when they read. Have no knowledge of McAfee but suspect it may have shut down your OE if it believes there is a problem but that is just a guess.

McAfee identifies this as a 'heuristic' malware which means it has code segments that appear to be malware but may not be. I would suggest you run Microsofts on-line malware detection program from here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Best would be to boot up the computer in "Safe mode with networking" before running it. Assuming you have another browser on your computer other then IE since you say IE doesn't run.

Best would be to boot up the computer in "Safe mode with networking" before running it. Assuming you have another browser on your computer other then IE since you say IE doesn't run.

Thanks for that - could you tell me how I boot up the computer in "safe mode" please?

Thanks for that - could you tell me how I boot up the computer in "safe mode" please?

When the computer is starting up (BIOS messages showing) hit the F8 key several times and a screen will come up showing you boot options. One will be "Safe mode" and one Safe mode with networking", select the 2nd option.

To be absolutely safe, presuming you are not on a laptop (another poster who does not put in details !!!) take out your hard drive and put it in a different machine. Scan it with Trend PC cillin online virus scan - which is the only scanner that I have found that does not give false alarms.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/global/enterprise.htm

If it finds a virus or malware, click on the name of it in the list, and it will link you to instructions of how to remove it. Some can be auto removed, others are much harder and you will have to print out the instructions and roll up your sleeves.

You can do this in your own machine too. There is a slight risk if it is a seriously malicious virus, of it wiping out your hard drives ... but not a significant risk in my experience. I have safely and easily removed malware a number of times. Usually these virus programs are after information, not trying to wipe your hard drive.

hi'

McAfee :o norton as well :D

change antivirus :D

first these 2 are invasive, slow down any system, and whatever people can say they are not the best, far from it ...

get rid of it, and change for a free solution AVG or Avast or BitDefender the cheapest of them all and the most efficient!

francois

hi'

first these 2 are invasive, slow down any system, and whatever people can say they are not the best, far from it ...

get rid of it, and change for a free solution AVG or Avast or BitDefender the cheapest of them all and the most efficient!

francois

The original Norton Antivirus application was good but now their antivirus software has just become overbearing and aggressive. The Norton software filled my registry with junk so I ditched it. I use AVG now and I have no complaints and my PC has regained its initial performance. Francois is right, Norton and McAfee are not anywhere near as efficient as some of the free ones.

hi'

francois

The original Norton Antivirus application was good but now their antivirus software has just become overbearing and aggressive. The Norton software filled my registry with junk so I ditched it. I use AVG now and I have no complaints and my PC has regained its initial performance. Francois is right, Norton and McAfee are not anywhere near as efficient as some of the free ones.

I vouch for that too.