My Dream Of Becoming A Thai

Dear all,

I have a dream which I want to follow. And I'm almost ready to start it. My wish is to start my new life in Thailand, I have this wish since I first put my feet there in 2006. I've been living in Shanghai for the past 3 years and I had enough of pushing myself everyday in a place I never planned to live before. Shanghai caught me and doesn't want to let me go. I'm not the kind of person who request help too much. I try to find my way around but this time I find it a bit confusing with the research I did. The only help I would like to get is only to put me in the right path. Even if the track is bumpy and complicated, I will take it as long as it is legal.

Here's my situation :

Canadian citizen

Currently live and working in Shanghai, China for the past 3 years.

30 Years old

Savings that can me live at least one year in Thailand without working.

No bachelor degree, most education acquired while working

Experience in administration, trading, marketing, sales, customer service, graphic design, web coding

Want to work as independent worker or set up a business or do trading

Want to learn Thai as soon as I arrive and I can fully adapt to Thai culture

Want to live in the northern part.

Already spent about 4 months total in Thailand

Could you guys help me ?

Thanks in advance

Jean

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know what China can offer you as a foreigner, but if I were you I would surely keep my job there. Because here in Thailand you will find a HUGE LOT of obstacles that will prevent you from contribute or work or doing anything att all.

Thailand wishes you to lay low, dont make a sound and just bring your money to Thailand. So my own advise is; keep your dream alive while you slowly will be getting older, and when reaching retirement-age it is easier to slow down for you and fall into the thai-trap of living.....

It must he hell on earth as a young kid like you, to try to find a way of staying here in Thailand... You will probably feel that everyone is against you I guess.......

But a BIG Good luck from me, sorry cannot help you...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

Find your self a Thai Language School and start with an Education visa. That will give you enough spare time to investigate other avenues.

Thank you very much, it seems like a good idea.

I do not know what China can offer you as a foreigner, but if I were you I would surely keep my job there. Because here in Thailand you will find a HUGE LOT of obstacles that will prevent you from contribute or work or doing anything att all.

Thailand wishes you to lay low, dont make a sound and just bring your money to Thailand. So my own advise is; keep your dream alive while you slowly will be getting older, and when reaching retirement-age it is easier to slow down for you and fall into the thai-trap of living.....

It must he hell on earth as a young kid like you, to try to find a way of staying here in Thailand... You will probably feel that everyone is against you I guess.......

But a BIG Good luck from me, sorry cannot help you...

Glegolo

Glegolo, thanks for you thoughts. To let you know a little bit about China, it is the paradise of opportunity and making money. The place where you can make contact with anyone by just handing your business card. While this being a something that most people want, there is a price to pay like anywhere else on the planet.

The Chinese culture took a big hit in his history and affected the whole country. You can still reflect this today. It's extremely difficult to adapt to the culture and embrace it. In China, you also have your loads of multiple headaches that prevent you from going forward. A 1 day job in western countries can take 3 weeks here because of the regulations. I don't really mind about this and don't expect things to be easier in Thailand.

I also waited long enough for this to start, yes a lot of my friends are against me but I can't wait 20 years. I rather fight for it and have a goal in life than live comfortable in a place I don't want to. So thank you for your good luck and the time you took for me. I appreciate it.

Work today to live today.

Jean

"Canadian citizen

Currently live and working in Shanghai, China for the past 3 years.

30 Years old

Savings that can me live at least one year in Thailand without working.

No bachelor degree, most education acquired while working

Experience in administration, trading, marketing, sales, customer service, graphic design, web coding

Want to work as independent worker or set up a business or do trading

Want to learn Thai as soon as I arrive and I can fully adapt to Thai culture

Want to live in the northern part.

Already spent about 4 months total in Thailand

Could you guys help me ?

Thanks in advance

Jean"

Plenty of boiler room work for you here,when your savings run out.

A couple of very negative and unhelpful replies so let me try.

To become a Thai Citizen is, I admit, very difficult, and the first step (unless you are married to a Thai) is to obtain Permanent Residence here in Thailand, which takes an absolute minimum of 3 years. You need to spend all that time here on a approved Visa, have a Work Permit and show evidence of substantial Income Tax payments (which would not be possible on the Salaries an English Teacher makes here).

There is a Pinned Thread by Camerata on the whole PR process.

Once you achieve PR you can apply for Thai Citizenship which will probably take a minimum of another 5 years and you also have to meet various criteria including evidence of contribution to Thai society.

Your first challenge therefore is to find a relatively well paying job here which, to be frank, will be difficult with your lack of formal education and experience in a specific field for which there is a demand in Thailand and not many Thais with that experience. (You normally cannot get a Work Permit for a job which can be performed by a Thai - although there are exceptions).

I can only wish you good luck.

Patrick

• Like 1

Well, surprise surprise... Another dreamer/drifter who wants to wash up in Thailand with no degree or qualifications believing that Thailand owes him a living. Go to the end of the queue... There are about 100,000 foreigners already waiting for some kind-hearted Thai to give them a work permit and a plum job with a good salary. Many of them end up being unqualified English "teachers" on 20,000 baht a month, or open up a sleazy bar. Dream on, young man...

You are honestly MUCH MUCH better off in Shanghai. The opportunities to make money or make something of yourself in China are huge. You're only 30, you shouldn't be thinking about moving to Thailand permanently. This country is best suited to people aged 60 plus. A great place to retire, perhaps, as long as you have good health insurance and live near a good hospital. Thailand ISN'T a good place for business at all (despite what all the fake TV ads will tell you) and is a terrible place for a foreigner to try to own any assets at all. In this region, Malaysia, Singapore (No. 1), China, Hong Kong and even Vietnam are much better places for a 30-year-old foreigner to try to make something of him/herself. Forget Thailand, it's for retirees, families of Russian/Chinese tourists and irredeemable sex addicts.

Edited by FalangBaa
  • Like 1

To become a Thai Citizen is, I admit, very difficult, and the first step (unless you are married to a Thai) is to obtain Permanent Residence here in Thailand, which takes an absolute minimum of 3 years. You need to spend all that time here on a approved Visa, have a Work Permit and show evidence of substantial Income Tax payments (which would not be possible on the Salaries an English Teacher makes here).

Once you achieve PR you can apply for Thai Citizenship which will probably take a minimum of another 5 years and you also have to meet various criteria including evidence of contribution to Thai society.

Your first challenge therefore is to find a relatively well paying job here which, to be frank, will be difficult with your lack of formal education and experience in a specific field for which there is a demand in Thailand and not many Thais with that experience. (You normally cannot get a Work Permit for a job which can be performed by a Thai - although there are exceptions).

Patrick

Patrick! Sometimes it is more human to be honest than paint the reality in colours that doesn´t even exiist. To be become thai citizen and have a Permanent Residence is what I understand from this forum extremely difficult and takes a long long long time if you ever will be qualified for it. Than it takes a huge investment as well.

I even read on this forum that Thailand does not even deal with the applications more than extremey seldom. So there is a big bunch of application laying around here not treated at all by Thailand, but the application fees are beein paid of course.....

So tell the truth to a young man, do not make up stories that is almost unheard of. I think it is better for a human being that he knows what is in front of him rather than keep it a sectret.

I wish this guy a big good luck of course, But I think personally that "Colabamumbai" suggestion with language-school is a great suggestion...

Glegolo

• Like 2

Well, surprise surprise... Another dreamer/drifter who wants to wash up in Thailand with no degree or qualifications believing that Thailand owes him a living. Go to the end of the queue... There are about 100,000 foreigners already waiting for some kind-hearted Thai to give them a work permit and a plum job with a good salary. Many of them end up being unqualified English "teachers" on 20,000 baht a month, or open up a sleazy bar. Dream on, young man...

You are honestly MUCH MUCH better off in Shanghai. The opportunities to make money or make something of yourself in China are huge. You're only 30, you shouldn't be thinking about moving to Thailand permanently. This country is best suited to people aged 60 plus. A great place to retire, perhaps, as long as you have good health insurance and live near a good hospital. Thailand ISN'T a good place for business at all (despite what all the fake TV ads will tell you) and is a terrible place for a foreigner to try to own any assets at all. In this region, Malaysia, Singapore (No. 1), China, Hong Kong and even Vietnam are much better places for a 30-year-old foreigner to try to make something of him/herself. Forget Thailand, it's for retirees, families of Russian/Chinese tourists and irredeemable sex addicts.

FalangBaa, the purpose of this topic is to find what are my options to live in Thailand. I would appreciate this to be respected.

You actually stated in the OP that you dream of becoming a Thai,don't you think you should live in that country first for a considerable amount of time to understand your "dream" better?

Only then can you make sound judgments instead of asking people who really don't know you,how to do something that is extremely difficult to do even if you wanted to!

Realism is sometimes hurtful.

• Like 2

What's with you? Why would u ever dream about living in thailand?

I worked in suzhou, shanghai about 10 years ago. Its a paradise.

Why don't u want to be in China?

Anyway, Thailand is a good place if u have a job, investment, lots of savings or pension.

Without income/ money, Thailand can be hell.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Patrick

Patrick! Sometimes it is more human to be honest than paint the reality in colours that doesn´t even exiist. To be become thai citizen and have a Permanent Residence is what I understand from this forum extremely difficult and takes a long long long time if you ever will be qualified for it. Than it takes a huge investment as well.

I even read on this forum that Thailand does not even deal with the applications more than extremey seldom. So there is a big bunch of application laying around here not treated at all by Thailand, but the application fees are beein paid of course.....

So tell the truth to a young man, do not make up stories that is almost unheard of. I think it is better for a human being that he knows what is in front of him rather than keep it a sectret.

I wish this guy a big good luck of course, But I think personally that "Colabamumbai" suggestion with language-school is a great suggestion...

Glegolo

I also think that "Colabamumbai" suggestion is great and simple. This is what I'm looking for. In my opinion, a lot of opportunities in this world are based on luck. This is exactly what happened to me and my entourage here. You got to be at the right time and the right location. If I can get this one year and hope for luck, then it works for me. If I fail, I would at least not regret that I tried something. Nonetheless, opportunities can be found everywhere.

Also to let know comments made by others. I do not wish to become an English teacher.

What's with you? Why would u ever dream about living in thailand?

I worked in suzhou, shanghai about 10 years ago. Its a paradise.

Why don't u want to be in China?

Anyway, Thailand is a good place if u have a job, investment, lots of savings or pension.

Without income/ money, Thailand can be hell.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thailand changed my life. I used to be a materialistic boy that just lives like the others back in Montreal. No other goals then just live like the others did. One day, I went to a Chinese restaurant with my parents and brother. I was talking about the money I saved so I could buy all those great things for my first apartment. My brother then said to me : "Instead of buying all those stuff, why don't you come with me to Thailand.". I then stopped talking, thought for a moment, and said let's do it ! I left my job and went there. After spending 1 month there, I completely changed.

I didn't know back then how different the way of living could be from a country to another. I felt in love with the Thai culture and I needed to go back. So I did but for a longer period of time. When I came back I was convinced that I would like to live there. I even made a girlfriend from there and we kept a long distance relationship. It was great and I was saving my money as much as I can to go and live with her. Then something happened and we we're no longer together.

I changed my plans and decided to make documentaries about traveling to show the culture of each country I would visit. Why not start with China ? After a month of collecting films and doing montage I ended up in Shanghai. I planned to stay only 3 day's and then go on. I really hated this city at first and really want to get my material and go out.

Then I met someone who gave me an opportunity to work for 1 month. Which I did. The company enjoyed the work I did for them so much that they asked me to stay for a couple of more months. Then I never left. I was never able to love this city. Nor other cities here and even Suzhou. Of course it's not bad to live here, I have everything that I need but money is not something that rules me. It is a result of my actions. It's not hell to live here but it's not where I want to live. I could establish a business or continue work here and be very successful. But, there is other things in life than this and people can wish for other things in life than being successful at work.

• Like 2

You actually stated in the OP that you dream of becoming a Thai,don't you think you should live in that country first for a considerable amount of time to understand your "dream" better?

Only then can you make sound judgments instead of asking people who really don't know you,how to do something that is extremely difficult to do even if you wanted to!

Ever heard of the child visiting a firefighter station and dreamed to be a firefighter ? Or the other one that went in the plane for the first time and wanted to be a pilot ?

Follow your heart

Heya Jean

Live the dream and balance that with ring realistic I believe is the way to go

I am in my late 30s and like you love Thailand and love up in Chiang Mai

However some of the postings are accurate if u can minus the barb and they mean no harm ...I guess for some they are rooting for that one guy to succeed

Like you I work extensively in china for the travel trade and decided like u money is not everything

I have lots of passion for this country being a citizen and permanent citizen has its drawbacks...loving a country does not mean we have to give up our own mother land culture or habits

I suggest u try what I am doing ...I work 4 months non stop and then take 10 weeks here twice a year goes me a balanced view of the country

As in any place you take the positives and negatives of the city and personally for me I have found more positives and have been doing this for the last 6 years

I understand Thailand better, I have real friends here enjoy the culture hike having something to share with the folks here

Looking at your career options and experience Chiang Mai and the northern regions has to offer it is a good fit however the job opportunities and pay scale here means you have to live like a local and when you start a family here it is not impossible but just a struggle and that may change your mindset

So take china for what it's good for opportunities to make money a vibrant city culture ...and then spend 4-6 months when u have earned enough for the balance u seek in life

Things change dramatically when you find a proper Thai wife and have kids the expenses add up even in Thailand

Best of luck !

• Like 1

The Chinese culture took a big hit in his history and affected the whole country. You can still reflect this today. It's extremely difficult to adapt to the culture and embrace it. In China, you also have your loads of multiple headaches that prevent you from going forward. A 1 day job in western countries can take 3 weeks here because of the regulations. I don't really mind about this and don't expect things to be easier in Thailand.

You have just described Thailand ....... but with less opportunity to earn money.

Stay where you are, you are unlikely to be happy here.

Ever heard of the child visiting a firefighter station and dreamed to be a firefighter ? Or the other one that went in the plane for the first time and wanted to be a pilot ?

Follow your heart

How old are you? 30! I understand what you are trying to say..... but you are not still excited about going into a Thai brothel and becoming a pimp or sipping a cold Singha beer and buying the bar are you tongue.png because your dreams in Thailand could end very easily with the Nativity you are showing on this thread biggrin.png

Of course you have my fullest respect "jeantremblay83". If you have find that the money is nothing that shall rule your life, than it is completely up to you. Why me and obviously others think it is strange of a young man to waste his life in a country that DOESN´T WANT HIM HERE for other reasons than just MONEY, we really dont know what to think, at least not me.

You have not yet figered out Thailand, but you will, the hard way I guess. And it is every mans right to do mistake of course, but it is also very stupid not to listen to other peoples experiences.... Thailand want you for one reason and for one reason only, Thailand wants your money.... Thailand have NO need for falang, Thailand know so much more than falang, so just hand over the money, do not make any irritated noise in Thailand.

Obviosly you have fallen in love with Thailand you says.... sure????? It is not that you fell in love with that girlfriend of yours who blocked your vision a bit here. Or was it the religion that captured you???? I hope you find a job to start with otherwise you will have huge problem here in Thailand.

Glegolo

• Like 1

Heya Jean

Live the dream and balance that with ring realistic I believe is the way to go

I am in my late 30s and like you love Thailand and love up in Chiang Mai

However some of the postings are accurate if u can minus the barb and they mean no harm ...I guess for some they are rooting for that one guy to succeed

Like you I work extensively in china for the travel trade and decided like u money is not everything

I have lots of passion for this country being a citizen and permanent citizen has its drawbacks...loving a country does not mean we have to give up our own mother land culture or habits

I suggest u try what I am doing ...I work 4 months non stop and then take 10 weeks here twice a year goes me a balanced view of the country

As in any place you take the positives and negatives of the city and personally for me I have found more positives and have been doing this for the last 6 years

I understand Thailand better, I have real friends here enjoy the culture hike having something to share with the folks here

Looking at your career options and experience Chiang Mai and the northern regions has to offer it is a good fit however the job opportunities and pay scale here means you have to live like a local and when you start a family here it is not impossible but just a struggle and that may change your mindset

So take china for what it's good for opportunities to make money a vibrant city culture ...and then spend 4-6 months when u have earned enough for the balance u seek in life

Things change dramatically when you find a proper Thai wife and have kids the expenses add up even in Thailand

Best of luck !

Thanks Lawrence, this is also a great idea and I understand you perfectly.

I already looked into Chiang Mai and visited several times there. I actually have a plan to try what you say using the great contacts in Shanghai to work. But would that be convenient in order to have something somewhat stable in Thaliand ? I wish I can have a place I can call home.

I already looked into Chiang Mai and visited several times there. I actually have a plan to try what you say using the great contacts in Shanghai to work. But would that be convenient in order to have something somewhat stable in Thaliand ? I wish I can have a place I can call home.

In CM

5kbht a month gets you a nice house 10k out of town, or you can buy a condo for 150kbht, it's not hard to find a home.

Ja try what I did since you has been here a few times you don't need to be at the night market area etc

Rent a small apartment or house in the differing areas hang dong is still my fav area and over the last 6 years I have lived inane different zones so thy I can walk around and get a feel of the neighborhood

Come back and have a perm number set up a bank account go back to your favorite street stalls everytime u are back

Shop in your fav supermarket make good friends here rent a bike

Leave some of your stuff are with a friends ...soon you will feel very much at home and when you are financially ready and know the area we enough commit to a longer stay and rent .

• Like 1

What makes you think Thailand is any different from China? There are opportunities everywhere - even Thailand - for people who have the ability. Maybe you don't, and thankfully the people that can never listen to people who always say can not.

• Like 2

What makes you think Thailand is any different from China? There are opportunities everywhere - even Thailand - for people who have the ability. Maybe you don't, and thankfully the people that can never listen to people who always say can not.

In China Visas are easier, wages are much higher and you can own a property.

That's three good reasons for thinking China is better as a work place.

Pretty simple, really.

Come to Thailand, become a monk.

All the culture you can absorb, free food and lodging, opportunity to learn the language, even travel.

Sorry about the 'no women' bit, but that had nothing to do with your reason for wanting to live here, right?

Start here: "Nammo tassa..."

Of course you have my fullest respect "jeantremblay83". If you have find that the money is nothing that shall rule your life, than it is completely up to you. Why me and obviously others think it is strange of a young man to waste his life in a country that DOESN´T WANT HIM HERE for other reasons than just MONEY, we really dont know what to think, at least not me.

You have not yet figered out Thailand, but you will, the hard way I guess. And it is every mans right to do mistake of course, but it is also very stupid not to listen to other peoples experiences.... Thailand want you for one reason and for one reason only, Thailand wants your money.... Thailand have NO need for falang, Thailand know so much more than falang, so just hand over the money, do not make any irritated noise in Thailand.

Obviosly you have fallen in love with Thailand you says.... sure????? It is not that you fell in love with that girlfriend of yours who blocked your vision a bit here. Or was it the religion that captured you???? I hope you find a job to start with otherwise you will have huge problem here in Thailand.

Glegolo

Glegolo, you can have the opinion you want. I have friends that enjoy their life the fullest in China and enjoys what it has to offer. I have other friends that are the complete opposite and only here to bang a buck while bashing the Chinese. What I mean is that you can think what ever you want about where you live. If you like to think and like some other people here that Thai just want MONEY than I don't mind because I know that other people don't think like that. These people will be the people in the same boat as me and if I don't like the people aboard my ship then they can go away.

I don't understand the "waste my life" part you obviously didn't read me correctly.

Girlfriend have nothing to do with my vision. The religion has been in some part, but if I believe in Buddhism it's my own right.

In China Visas are easier, wages are much higher and you can own a property.

That's three good reasons for thinking China is better as a work place.

None of which are important for success.