Us Ambassador Chris Stevens Killed In Libya

webfact

Here's a bit of info I hadn't heard before...

As for the attack in Libya, it apparently came as no surprise to some US officials on the ground. In an online posting the night before he was killed, US Foreign Service information management officer Sean Smith warned of the impending strike. Smith wrote, "Assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures."

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the attack in Libya, it apparently came as no surprise to some US officials on the ground. In an online posting the night before he was killed, US Foreign Service information management officer Sean Smith warned of the impending strike. Smith wrote, "Assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures."

He was a big "eve" player. That is where that quote came from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/libya-attack-victim-remem_n_1879047.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/09/13/a-look-at-the-diplomatic-skills-of-sean-smith-aka-vile-rat/

This has now spread to Australian Streets with people (Muslims) getting violent in anti American protests. I can't see why they are causing trouble in Australia as aussies haven't done anything to warrant the violence.

Yeah & the video was made by an Egyptian.

This has now spread to Australian Streets with people (Muslims) getting violent in anti American protests. I can't see why they are causing trouble in Australia as aussies haven't done anything to warrant the violence.

Muslim protesters clash with police in Sydney

A violent anti-American protest that began in Sydney's CBD has come to an explosive end after demonstrators stormed out of Hyde Park and dispersed onto William Street.

http://news.ninemsn....olice-in-sydney

Outrageous. Somebody needs to kick these 7th century barbarians out of the country. angry.png

Edited by meatballs
  • Like 1

He was a big "eve" player. That is where that quote came from.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1879047.html

http://www.forbes.co...h-aka-vile-rat/

This is a new phenomenon with today's technology...losing people from your community whom no one has ever met or even lives on the same continent. Yet is still hurts when it happens. It's like losing members of TV. Of course, half of you are all right, the other half, well... ;)

Here is some good news for the USA. The president is finally taking his Presidential Daily Briefs serious and he's starting to attend them. Too bad it took the death of 4 Americans including the ambassador to Libya.

EXCLUSIVE: OBAMA REVERSES POSITION ON INTEL BRIEFS, DROPS IPAD FOR LIVE MEETINGS

When Washington Post columnist Marc Thiessen and the Government Accountability Institute reported that President Obama has attended less than half of his Presidential Daily Briefs (PDBs) on intelligence, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney called the findings "hilarious." The next day, U.S. Libyan Ambassador Chris Stevens and three American staff members were murdered.

Then, after four Americans were murdered and Mr. Obama's foreign policy approval rating plunged, Mr. Obama has now decided to actually start showing up for his daily presidential intelligence briefings...

Mr. Obama's newfound interest in attending his daily intelligence briefings won't undo last week's horrific events in the Middle East. But perhaps it may help in preventing similar atrocities in the days ahead.

I think it's great that even while the Obama campaign, with the help of the media, is trying to distract the voters from his foreign policy failings, Obama is at least starting to do his job.

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 2

Mr. Obama's newfound interest in attending his daily intelligence briefings won't undo last week's horrific events in the Middle East. But perhaps it may help in preventing similar atrocities in the days ahead.

in what way will Mr. Obama's attendance of intelligence briefings prevent any atrocities such as the Benghazi terror attack? presidential veto? executive order? application of voodoo? huh.png

in what way will Mr. Obama's attendance of intelligence briefings prevent any atrocities such as the Benghazi terror attack? presidential veto? executive order? application of voodoo? huh.png

If we accept the narrative that Obama is the most brilliant man ever to be president, then I would expect him to get the PDB, ask questions, discuss and maybe figure out what no one else did - that it was the anniversary of 9/11, we had warnings of attacks on our diplomatic missions in the Middle East and order more security, perhaps even tell our Ambassador not to go wandering around outside the capital without any real protection (the two SEALs who died with him were not part of his security detail).

Also, don't forget that a Presidential Daily Briefing from Aug 2001 was used by the Left as proof that Bush did nothing to prevent the 9/11 attacks. While the PDB of that day said there were possible attacks in the planning - it also said there were over 70 on-going FBI investigations into them. Still, Bush was blamed for not doing enough. So fast forward 11 years and now the current president shouldn't have to interrupt his golf game to attend the PDBs and that is somehow OK?

Stevens believed he had been marked for death for months by Al Qaeda.

"Stevens said his name was on the terror group’s hit list"

Then please explain why the Obama administration considered a concrete block house, with no protective security measures, was called a "safe" house in the first place and why Stevens was even in Benghazi.

This was a massive break down in State Department security procedures and four good men were assassinated as a result of the failure of many people in the administration to do their jobs. This was a preventable loss.

Again, where does the buck stop?

Stevens believed he had been marked for death for months by Al Qaeda.

"Stevens said his name was on the terror group’s hit list"

Then please explain why the Obama administration considered a concrete block house, with no protective security measures, was called a "safe" house in the first place and why Stevens was even in Benghazi.

This was a massive break down in State Department security procedures and four good men were assassinated as a result of the failure of many people in the administration to do their jobs. This was a preventable loss.

Again, where does the buck stop?

As posted previously the consulate building were temporary facilities with limited security. You could say he was doing his duty with knowledge of the potentially ultimate price to pay for him and staff; courageous people. Refer http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/world/africa/after-attack-in-libya-ambush-struck-rescuers.html?ref=world

• Like 2

When I worked in countries that were considered dangerous, the ultimate decision on security was in my hands. If the State Department knew of a real and credible threat, I was informed and, on one occasion, was evacuated from the country. I was briefed on the threat and the decision was left to me if I wished to return and when I wished to return. The people involved were interested in seeing that reasonable precautions were being taken, but that was about it.

There is no way that anyone in a central office in another country can usually make an accurate assessment of a security threat and implement a plan. The decisions made in Washington is to keep or pull out personnel. Quite frequently, you will see family members and non-essential personnel removed. In some cases everyone is evacuated.

In a situation which develops rather quickly, security measures have to be implemented locally. It's a gamble and in this case, it was one that was lost.

There is no way that anyone in a central office in another country can usually make an accurate assessment of a security threat and implement a plan.

Especially when they have been having fundraisers and playing golf instead of attending security briefings. Seriously.

Well, I suppose the State Department and Administration were on top of the security problem after all. From today's news:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State Department was discussing putting Marines in Libya 'sometime in the next five years’

Posted By Josh Rogin Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 1:03 PM

Prior to the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, the State Department and the Marines Corps had been discussing deploying Marines to guard the U.S. Embassy in the Libyan capital Tripoli "sometime in the next five years," according to the Marine Corps.

The issue of security at U.S. diplomatic outposts in Libya has been front and center as Congress and others begin to investigate whether or not those facilities were sufficiently protected before the attacks that killed Amb. Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

The State Department won't discuss the specifics of its security posture in Libya before the attack, but the Marine Corps has briefed congressional staffers on the issue, for example in a Sept. 13 email obtained by The Cable.

http://thecable.fore..._the_next_five_

Now doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy....knowing who is in charge?

According to a Wall Street Journal report, security lapses and bad decisions made the 9/11 Libya attack worse.

I seem to recall a 9/11 NewYork attack made worse by security lapses and bad decisions.

Yes, if Bill Clinton had done his job it wouldn't have happened, but I don't recall George Bush ever whining he inherited a mess.

According to a Wall Street Journal report, security lapses and bad decisions made the 9/11 Libya attack worse.

I seem to recall a 9/11 NewYork attack made worse by security lapses and bad decisions.

Times were considerably different on the terrorist front in 2001. I was living in a housing compound in Saudi Arabia in 2001 that had one Sri Lankan guard/receptionist armed with a flashlight on at all times.

When I left in 2005 we had Saudi Special Forces, concrete barriers zigzagging for about 100 meters and a humvee with a .20 mm cannon on the front gate.

Live and learn.

• Like 2

Happy to hear the POTUS knows that his job is not the day to day running of foreign security arrangements.

Probably realises public library book cover repair is not his remit either.

He probably could have cancelled one of his over 100 golf games to get a briefing on facilities compound security in the Middle East.

This was an Administration failure. Clear and simple.

It ain't the Bush Administration any longer, it is the Obama Administration.

Your excuses for the failures of the OBAMA Administration are flimsy at best. His actions were criminal.

• Like 2