Being Stood Up - An Hour Before An Emergency Teaching Gig

WonnabeBiker

This is a 1 on 1 training for a test. The customer bought 20 hours at a language school.

• First day, she was 12 minutes late.
  • Second day, she cancelled: she said to be "busy"
  • She is a teacher and to make it happen, I had to cancel other regular work this week.

Q: What is the normal policy in such cases?

I'm really annoyed and feel this is one big show and she hasn't used her own money to pay for this training.

It's out of my hand, because I'm the hired help and there is a language school as middle man.

But those who have direct deals with customers, you better watch out and think about a policy for such cases.

Cheerio,

Chris

Is the language school paying you or are you paid directly by the client (I'll use client, since she doesn't seem to fit the definition of a student).

If the language school is paying you, then they should have a policy and that is probably what should be followed.

I haven't worked in an environment such as this for many, many years, so I am not sure what the policies are now. I did some teaching in Hong Kong many years ago and at that time it was 24 hours notice.

are you getting paid no matter if she/he turns up at all ?

if so, then relax. take it easy, chill.

if not, then give a warning that if notice is not given (even a few hours b4) then you won't teach her.

take a stand.

this happened to me b4, chinese family. no show on 3 occasions. ended up they asked their daughter to apologise to me. thanked her but emphasised the point that respect was required and an apology from the parents was required.

never heard from them again. didn't care.

• Like 1

I never liked teaching adults, especially one-on-one. I have taught a few people who were professionals and some just had such a big work load that cancellations were inevitable. One guy, he was in the banking business, and highly motivated, but had a stressful job. His bank was being bought out by an international bank and the decision on would stay and who would get fired was based on their English. He always paid, he was motivated, but often couldn't make it. He even tried to learn English over the phone with me sometimes.

Parents make their kids go to English classes, but when it applies to themselves, it's quite easy to cancel.

If you're being paid through a school, that school will have a policy (or no policy at all) on cancellations which you are obliged to follow. If the school has no policy then, with the school's agreement, you could try establishing some rules with the student, and penalties for breaking them.

For future reference, this is a perennial problem, particularly for the freelance teacher, to which there is no entirely satisfactory solution. If you teach through a third party then, as in the present case, policy is likely out of your hands. If you make arrangements with your student(s) yourself, then it is wise to establish clearly with your student(s) at the outset what your policy is and what is expected of them. I would tend to make my demands strict and penalties severe, since at the beginning your students will probably agree more readily to your terms.

Most language schools have cancellation policies. Students must cancel a certain number of hours ahead of time or else the school and teacher must be paid for at least one hour of their time.

If your school has been in existence for a year or more, they undoubtedly have formulated such a policy. If they have not, they obviously don't have much experience in this business! I would guess that the school has been paid for this session and you should be entitled to your share.

Well, we had a few more one on one sessions. And the gal didn't think it worth mentioning that she would be having some "seminar" the following week. Instead, yesterday she booked all these 3 hour sessions starting today. But this morning, she cancelled the whole thing with the school and will be taking the test this Saturday.

I doubt she had no idea that she would be required to attend that "seminar" in a big town nearby 2 hours before.

Anyhow, not a single Baht for the cancelled time. And yes, the school seems to be under Thai management. One of their inventions is to combine classes. 2 age grous and 2 books. rolleyes.gif

Chris