Best Money Changer At Swampy

cheynewalk

Kasikorn bank (green signs) on the basement level near the entrance to the train station seem to give the best rates by far. Yesterday (12/9) they were giving 31.74 baht to one australian dollar as opposed to the the other banks 30.53. That's nearly a 4% difference, quite a lot if you're changing a bit of money. Even on $100 its 120 baht, enough to pay your train fare into the city.

Surprisingly, the other money changers near the kaskiorn bank changer were still only offering a measly 30.53 baht. I guess they rely on people not checking for the best value.

By the way on the street today in Pattaya Kaskikorn were offering 32.1 baht to the aussie dollar. I wonder if the big money changers in Bangkok beat that rate by much?

Best rate will be outside in Arrivals. SR is not in the airport. Why do people always replynlike this?!

SR over any other for security and proximity to Thai banks in shopping center for CDM deposit.

Never recd bad money @ SR either

Its no different outside. I thought the cartel rate applied 100% throughout the airport but apparently the OP has discovered one bank that does not participate.

The Kbank recommendation outside of the airport is a good one. There are only a couple of banks in the airport, and they paid a bloody fortune for the right to offer you a very uncompetitive rate. Exchange there only as a last resort. Not a good rate, ever. Better to do it outside of the airport.

'Best Money Changer At Swampy'

I think the moderators should pay serious attention at how the posters call the name of the airport.

the airport has its name and most importantly it was His Majesty the King who gave the name of this nation's airport.

'Swampy' is a derogatory remark, my opinion.

I think the moderators should pay serious attention at how the posters call the name of the airport.

the airport has its name and most importantly it was His Majesty the King who gave the name of this nation's airport.

Ah, a purist. Do you also insist we use Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit, the ceremonial name given to the capital by a previous King? Actually that translates to "City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman atIndra's behest". If Suvar... translates to something as bad-a** as that I'll start using the full name.

On the subject, others know more than I do, but I change enough in the airport to get into town where the rates are much better. (Flying through two weeks ago, I recall seeing one exchange spot advertising "all rates in the airport are the same", and nearby was another counter saying "best exchange rate in the airport", a nice way to say welcome to Thai nation). In town and around the country I recommend Bangkok Bank since they seem safe and professional, always have someone speaking business English, etc. Looks like SuperRich beats them out for larger currency exchanges, though. Neither are nearby the airport.

• Like 2

Personally, I hate it called Swampy and never use that name, but because it is irritating to me.. I don't think it's necessarily derogatory as the land was previously known as Cobra Swamp.

The Kbank recommendation outside of the airport is a good one. There are only a couple of banks in the airport, and they paid a bloody fortune for the right to offer you a very uncompetitive rate. Exchange there only as a last resort. Not a good rate, ever. Better to do it outside of the airport.

KBank advertise the best rate over the 2 other banks there and they only have one place in the basement on the level for the train into the city.

I will be back in 10 days and will do the photos and other things to try to convience the people always taking the oppoursite opinion :D

No-one likes a grass, son.

SCB and TMB still have exclusive rights to financial services at SBIA (Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport), but as one poster mentions, this exclusivity arrangement does not extend to the basement level where there are several other money changers including an Islamic bank. SCB and TMB usually have the exact same rates, and these rates are fractionally higher (or lower ;) ) than at their non-SBIA locations, so almost always exactly 1 baht less per USD, for example.

I thought that the money changers in the basement matched the rates of TMB and SCB (airport) but maybe these are better? I haven't looked recently.

In town, as mentioned SuperRich (Ratchadamri - two separate outlets, not sure if they are related, some claim one - "orange"?, farther from Ratchadamri Road) - always has better rates) usually have the best rates. Some have reported issues (getting clipped, getting counterfeit bills 'returned' - swapped in) at VASU, YMMV. Most Thais go to Thanon Pradiphat where there are a lot of changers who offer the best rates, and a ton of bank branches nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Passrd through today airside on arrival it were 29.xx per USD didn't get the details.

Landside it were 29.27 per USD everywhere except for Kasikikorn on the basement/air rail link level which were 30.38 per USD with 3 other exchange booths meters away paying 29.27.

Edited by spacemand

Commonly called this and quite appropriate.

Commonly called this and quite appropriate.

I don't think it's offensive, but I do think it is ridiculous and cliquey. I see new people posting questions on here about forthcoming trips to Thailand and they get replies about "Swampy". How are they supposed to know what it means? I think it's quite sad actually.

• Like 1

It's a bit grating, like calling Bangkok "Bangers" or Pattaya "Patters," but I just chalk it up to people wanting to sound hip -- but actually sounding childish -- and get over it quickly.

SCB and TMB still have exclusive rights to financial services at SBIA (Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport), but as one poster mentions, this exclusivity arrangement does not extend to the basement level where there are several other money changers including an Islamic bank. SCB and TMB usually have the exact same rates, and these rates are fractionally higher (or lower wink.png ) than at their non-SBIA locations, so almost always exactly 1 baht less per USD, for example.

I thought that the money changers in the basement matched the rates of TMB and SCB (airport) but maybe these are better? I haven't looked recently.

In town, as mentioned SuperRich (Ratchadamri - two separate outlets, not sure if they are related, some claim one - "orange"?, farther from Ratchadamri Road) - always has better rates) usually have the best rates. Some have reported issues (getting clipped, getting counterfeit bills 'returned' - swapped in) at VASU, YMMV. Most Thais go to Thanon Pradiphat where there are a lot of changers who offer the best rates, and a ton of bank branches nearby.

Do you have a link to any proof of Vasu being less than legal in there exchange services. I have been changing there for around 10 years and never a problem