Yingluck Brushes Aside Reports Of Broken Dam In Chaiyaphum

webfact

PM Yingluck brushes aside reports of broken dam in Chaiyaphum

PHITSANULOK, 14 September 2012 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has brushed aside reports of a broken dam in Chaiyaphum Province.

During the flood inspection trip to Phitsanulok Province on Friday, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, confirmed that the dam in Chaiyaphum Province was not ruptured as some reports had suggested.

The PM, however, conceded that the problem of the leak was caused by a void on an unfinished reservoir, coupled with rain-induced increase in the water mass in the basin that led to an overflow.

On a positive note, PM Yingluck said that the reports have indicated Chaiyaphum’s readiness to share its information with other agencies in flood prevention efforts.

She said further that a large reservoir would be constructed to retain more water in the future and the public should have a clear understanding of such a need.

The Prime Minister said that even though all water management-related data is ready on the ‘water 4 thai’ application, more information is needed to enable officials to make an easy-to-understand analysis for the public.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-14 footer_n.gif

PM asserts water situation under control; denies rumour Chaiyaphum dam failed, says it is only leaking; orders speed up of Yom River drainage /MCOT

Water situation under control? I think that just maybe she should check with the people who are under 1-2 meters of water due to a slight seepage. They may beg to differ. And of course we all know that a leaking dam is no problem at all.

She was correct in what she said first that the dam was not broken.

What she she should have followed up with is, "it is a reservoir and not a dam and I am not up to date on that particular problem, however I will get someone to check it out and let me know".

Nobody expects her to know everything though she gets the blame for it all but if there IS a problem like that her various flood committees should have kept her up to date. Overall the responsibility stops with her but if she isn't told then a lot of the problems are not hers.

• Like 2

PM asserts water situation under control; denies rumour Chaiyaphum dam failed, says it is only leaking; orders speed up of Yom River drainage /MCOT

Water situation under control? I think that just maybe she should check with the people who are under 1-2 meters of water due to a slight seepage. They may beg to differ. And of course we all know that a leaking dam is no problem at all.

No, no problem at all, like all problems, if you ignore it long enough it will go away. whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

I like the way that she (Yingluck) attempts to sound 'all inteligent' and in control of the situation when in reality she hasn't a clue about what is happening and what to do about it - being surrounded by a bunch of impositioned family members and Thaksin's old school buddies doesn't exactly help matters either.

She is going to need as much luck as god grants her (plus a good bit more) to get out of this mess!!!!

By now Thailand should have all the information required and should have the final idea about how to go about it. One more thing is reservoir under constuction should have been protected by diversion tunnel. It is quite strange to know trhis is not the case for this reservoir.

What she she should have followed up with is, "it is a reservoir and not a dam and I am not up to date on that particular problem, however I will get someone to check it out and let me know".

Nobody expects her to know everything though she gets the blame for it all but if there IS a problem like that her various flood committees should have kept her up to date. Overall the responsibility stops with her but if she isn't told then a lot of the problems are not hers.

You're right in as much as the buck stop with her... including the responsibility for ensuring that she has comepetent and responsible people keeping her informed on critical matters.

I also agree with you that nobody expects her to know everything. In fact, based on her track record, most people don't expect her to know anything.

rolleyes.gif

Exactly, which is why it is even more vital that people are appointed to positions who do know something and can feed her the information she needs.

You're right in as much as the buck stop with her... including the responsibility for ensuring that she has comepetent and responsible people keeping her informed on critical matters.

I also agree with you that nobody expects her to know everything. In fact, based on her track record, most people don't expect her to know anything.

rolleyes.gif

Exactly, which is why it is even more vital that people are appointed to positions who do know something and can feed her the information she needs.

When she has all the info, she will pass it upstairs

"... The PM, however, conceded that the problem of the leak was caused by a void on an unfinished reservoir, coupled with rain-induced increase in the water mass"

So how does that differ from ...

"... Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, confirmed that the dam in Chaiyaphum Province was not ruptured."

Water breaking through the dam_n means the dam_n ain't whole - why deal in semantics? Seems to me one is a "white lie" - you choose.

The fascinating aspect of a well-balanced water management system is the ability 'to predict the effect of tweeking here on the situation there'. In other words, a speed up of drainage of the Yom river should have known effects on areas downstream.

That's why with so much confidence the PM can order 'speed up' knowing her NWRFPC and a few other abbreviations have all under control. smile.png

PS if people downstreams feel like panicking now may be the right time, IMHOwai.gif )

• Like 1

Of course she doesn't know everything.

It's the same in any government in the world.

Her problem is that she won't admit that she doesn't know. She's apt to making sweeping statements based on nothing more than optimism.

Once the Thai people can overcome the culture of "face" then, and only then, will things start to get done properly in Thailand.

• Like 2

You fancy her don't ya?

:)

• Like 2

You fancy her don't ya?

smile.png

Dam she's better looking than her brother, thats for sure. (tht's right I used the word dam to make a joke but it isn't as funny as her joke)

She doesn't subscribe to "The buck stops here" idea then. Or would that be "The buck stops in Dubai"?

it's more of a case that the bucks go to Dubai Seems as if there are some questionable projects in the flood prevention scheme and all is not as financially correct in the way funds have been allocated and employed.

So why do they refer to it as " Chaiyaphum dam " if it is pnly a reservoir ...............????

So why do they refer to it as " Chaiyaphum dam " if it is pnly a reservoir ...............????

Splitting hairs in terms of language. Bloody great body of water behind a wall. One generates electricity one doesn't.

So why do her script writers keep feeding her these lines?

She's intelligent enough to know what's she's reading and is the only person to blame if she reads the statement publicly.

Stop defending her. The buck stops. full stop

Edited by Noistar
  • Like 1