Uk Settlement Visa For Thai Child

we brought my 2 stepsons over on a settlement visa last yr, because of our situation (both working and no choice but to do it this way) we had to employ an agent to do the application for us, it took about 5mths from start to finish and actually wasnt a bad price for what she had to do, then all we did was go pick the children up when they got the visa, so it can be done from the uk.

I think you need to give more details.

You say "bring your wife's daughter to the UK" that suggests you are both in the UK and the child is at home in Thailand.

How old is the child? Is her father on the scene? If she is not with her mother, how long have they been separated? Who looks after her now?

I think you need to give more details.

You say "bring your wife's daughter to the UK" that suggests you are both in the UK and the child is at home in Thailand.

How old is the child? Is her father on the scene? If she is not with her mother, how long have they been separated? Who looks after her now?

Hi, yes we are in the UK & her daughter is in Thailand,she is 11 in november, her Father has nothing to do with her but has agreed to accompany my wifes sister to apply for her Passport, Visa etc.

My wife has been here for nearly 2 years & we have been back to Thailand twice since then & we keep in regular contact through Skype.

She lives with her grandparents & my wifes sister but we send money for her upbringing & make the decisions regarding her schooling etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to assist a friend who has an 8 year old son and just wanted to confirm the process..

The form is completed online - but obviously not by the 8 year old ?

The form then has to be signed - by who ? the 8 year old ? Sponsoring parent (who is in the UK not Thailand) ? or his current carer (grandmother) ?

Then an appointment has to be made to take the boy and the documents to the UKVAC - who should accompany him ? Can't the documents just be posted ?

This must be a common situation and so why can UKBA be more clearer with their guidance !

Thanks if any body can offer some clear advice.

Thanks

Sorry to rain on anyones parade but you need to be very careful at each stage with these applications. One of the key points the UKBA will be looking for is evidence of 'sole responsibility' by the person settled in the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/children/

The most important bits are:

Children cannot normally come to settle in the UK unless both parents are settled here or have been given permission to settle here. The only exceptions are where:

• 1 parent is dead and the other is settled or coming to settle here; or
  • the parent who is settled or coming to settle in the UK has had sole responsibility for the child's upbringing; or
  • 1 parent is settled or coming to settle in the UK and there are serious reasons why the child must be allowed to come here.

Demonstrating sole responsibility means making all the day to day decisions about schooling etc. I must admit that if the father becomes involved in getting passports, visa applications etc it may well make it difficult to show!

It is easier if the child has not been seperated for a significant period in which case the ECO will need to see why things have changed to make it imperative that the child comes to the UK rather than staying in Thailand.

I would print the documents out in the UK, get the sponsoring parent to sign and put the package together then send it (with tracking) to Thailand for submission. Is it possible for the parent to fly back to Thailand to submit the documents?

These cases are rarely as straight forward as you may think if the sponsoring parent is settled in the UK and you may consider using a good agent. Don't just take it for granted that a visa will be issued just because a parent is settled in the UK.

A two year seperation is not going to make things easy!