Thai Airways To Hire Flight Attendants Up To Age 60

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a recent Air Canada flight I saw the "not-so-young" FA's asking passengers to get up and close the overhead compartments for them. I have never seen that happen on any other airline.

That's quite common on Air Canada - the home of "no meals, but you can buy a sandwich for $9 - sorry we don't take cash". I was asked once to help put some things away in the Galley, while I waited for the toilet. The gal was too large to bend over and put things away in the space provided -- but she was very pleasant about it !.

I feel this is not a good decision. The job of a flight attendant is demanding and requires high energy. I've seen with so many USA airlines how poor the service is with the older attendants.

I couldn't agree with you more violently than I already do. Of all the Airlines operating out of Thailand Thai Airways already has the oldest flight attendants. In this type of job they become jaded, cynical and "jai ron" towards their customers. Then when you add to that the fact that it is increasingly difficult and unpleasant to have to look at these aging beauties there is not much to argue in their favour not to mention they are mostly overweight and would be physically incapable of doing their job in an emergency. There is not much to argue in their favour. They've had their run now they should be sent packing with their retirement check and make room for some fresh new Jai Dee Suay 50 kilo Puu Ying. If I want to fly with my yai (Grandmother) I'll book a flight on Delta. Personally I prefer the little girls on "ONE TO GO" or better yet "NOK".

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nrLxUzzjFgQ/T0CnzMrj8pI/AAAAAAAAL5o/vlS0kDGRRr0/s1600/NokAir+Girl+stewardess_4.jpg

Aw c'mon, Just gimme a seat with enough legroom, a halfway digestible meal and the least resistance between point A and point B and I'm a happy camper. Oh yeah, a flight assistant with a pleasurable demeanour can't possibly hurt. I could care less how old the FA is as long as (with ANY profession) they can do the job.

I feel this is not a good decision. The job of a flight attendant is demanding and requires high energy. I've seen with so many USA airlines how poor the service is with the older attendants.

I agree. Especially on the American airlines, the attendants all seem bitter and tired. Even the young male ones are already bitter and sullen. On a recent United Airlines flight, I was suffering from a migraine, and felt about to puke, when I asked them for an aspirin, and was told they didn't have any. I know they are not doctors or nurses, but I don't think it would kill them to dispense an aspirin.

Well, let's hope that not too many of them are suffering Alzheimer and other brain affecting problems. I can assure you, that hey're all free of diseases and other psychological disabilities.

Why do people like old wine, for god's sake? When you have to deal with so many different characters, it's pretty hard to keep your mouth shut.

I have to add that Dr. Alzheimer grew up only ten km away from my house, but I don't remember when I've met him the last time.

I'm very sorry to hear that you'd a migraine attack. but I do not believe you that they had no Aspirin on board! maybe Paracetamol or any other medicine with less side effects.

You had your puke bag just in front of you, who knows, it might have been another passenger who made you throw up?

Well, nurses, doctors and flight attendants went through a very different education/ training.

You were right that it wouldn't kill them to "dispense" an Aspirin, or two.

All aircraftmen/women these days, doesn't mater which company it is do have some "heavy painkillers" on board.

Problem is that you're the one who has to ask them if there's a problem. Not all of them can read your wishes.

Your problem might be that it's not satisfying to slap a 60 year old on her backside to ask for another drink. Please be aware that all guys over 60 have to pass the "sit on the turbine test" for at least an hour. ( Please see photo)

How can you make such a statement that they're bitter and tired? I passed the "sitting on the turbine test" last week, just when I became grand mom."

I'm a 65 year old attractive flight attended and people love my cocktails. Please page me----wai.gif

post-108180-0-10850300-1347734529_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

On a recent Air Canada flight I saw the "not-so-young" FA's asking passengers to get up and close the overhead compartments for them. I have never seen that happen on any other airline.

Beside that I'm not believing your story:

Would you like to have somebody to help you into your wheelchair, or not, if something goes wrong in your life?

You should apply for Thai citizenship .----wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

What's the matter? Young hi-sos in short supply these days? sad.png

I think they've been picked-up by Farangs, you can read it on the forum quite often. smile.png

Gotta love your posts! Hope not all of them are married to TV members-------blink.png

I used to fly with Air Canada,the refreshing 2nd- leg of the trip was always with an Asian airline that was filled with gorgeous,smiling attentive attendants instead of post meno-middle-aged hags that frown on every request for a vodka & orange juice.

Would you like to have somebody to help you into your wheelchair, or not, if something goes wrong in your life?

I doubt if you would have the guts Sirchai to call me a lier to my face. I also doubt that you have travelled much (at all?).

I notice that another poster confirmed my experience with AC. Is he a lier too?

There should be an IQ test for posting on here (fool).

besides the outsourcing and age limit of 60 years old, what ever happened to the report of overweight

Thai airways flight attendants? I remember reading something about this last year when Thai airways was

seeking early attrition to their inflight employees.

Hooray for old people!

Maybe this will set a precedent against age discrimination in other fields.

I'd rather have a young fit bird serving me coffee if I was honest. But the most important things for me is that they know what they're doing and I'm as safe as possible.

From Trolley dolly to Trolley granny... the idea is great! whatever the pun people are people and when they can relate and help people by being simply people, without all the plastic and manipulative ideals of the industry. I was on a Quantas flight many years ago and this was then a part of quantas, I felt I was with people rather than a bunch of hand picked dolly due to their height, body mass and legs.

If your companies tell you tomorrow that you will have to retire at age 45. The company need more energetic, young fellows to work with. What would you do? If you are born rich and wealthy, and consider yourself as an incapability, I guess you probably agree with your company and leave at 45.

As far as I can see flying Thai airways most of the business class air hostesses are already close to 60 years old ( I mean that sincerely, not being funny) . Older air hostesses also tend to be ruder and provide poorer service than young keen hotter ones.

"poorer service" Well, apart from serving you the grub and alcohol, what else do you excpect, cuddling and exchanging phone-numbers with the younger ones? rolleyes.gif

Now that would be nice, how about throwing in complimentary membership to the mile high clubrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I doubt if you would have the guts Sirchai to call me a lier to my face. I also doubt that you have travelled much (at all?).

I notice that another poster confirmed my experience with AC. Is he a lier too?

There should be an IQ test for posting on here (fool).

I totally agree with an IQ test for posters on TV. Is TV a face to face website, or just one to exchange experiences and opinions?

I never called you a LIAR, it's only hard to believe that they'd ask PASSENGERS (plural).

If they were too old to do that than they should- obviously- do another job.

I did travel a lot in my life, I've seen the highest waterfall on earth, traveled to many south American and South East Asian countries. I visited varius European countries and had been in some countries in northern Africa.

I'm pretty sure that those "not so young' will have to go through health checks.

I'd suggest that all FA's working for Air Canada have to go through the" serve food with a bible on your head" test, while frying through a turbulence.

So calling you a liar or questioning some isn't really the same, or? Will they continue doing so and passengers have to find their own food and a microwave, I'd inform Air Canada.Good day.-----wai.gif

Edited for correcting my misspelled word lier.

post-108180-0-21042600-1347779027_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

I'd suggest that all FA's working for Air Canada have to go through the" serve food with a bible on your head" test, while frying through a turbulence.

I am pretty sure they do not have deep fryers in aircraft these days.

If your companies tell you tomorrow that you will have to retire at age 45. The company need more energetic, young fellows to work with. What would you do? If you are born rich and wealthy, and consider yourself as an incapability, I guess you probably agree with your company and leave at 45.

What ever you are on, I want some. A well constructed, well argued and concise post.

From Trolley dolly to Trolley granny... the idea is great! whatever the pun people are people and when they can relate and help people by being simply people, without all the plastic and manipulative ideals of the industry. I was on a Quantas flight many years ago and this was then a part of quantas, I felt I was with people rather than a bunch of hand picked dolly due to their height, body mass and legs.

I'm sure you are making an interesting and insightful point - I just don't understand what it is!! whistling.gif

They already have 60 year old flight attendants in F class on TG. I have had quite a few already on my flights. Some are downright rude and belong on the ground .

Agreed. On one domestic flight I was on, the older Thai attendant (on a flight Bangkok to Chiang Mai) refused to communicate with me because she apparently could not understand my Thai, and did not speak English (apparently). All patrons on-board were served water during the flight, except for me. Lets say I was less than happy with the service.

On my last trip (in July), we had excellent service from Auckland to Bangkok by a waitress named Ransanee S., a young and really lovely girl. I had a bit of a disagreement with the other half, and childishly went on hunger strike. I am not the smallest lad, so it only lasted 3 hours... when I asked the attendant (Raksanee S, 22-25yrs old female, if they had meals, she told me they did not, but that she would give me her meal so as to not go hungry. I didn't deserve it, but I am Farang, so have a reputation to uphold.. :)

Later in the flight, I asked the on-board manager for a feedback note so that I could ensure Raksanee was given the appreciation from the company for the outstanding service she had provided. Upon return, the inflight manager gave me the feedback form, requesting I kindly give positive feedback for him too (Thai Male, 50+ years) for having bought the form over.

And yes, I do appreciate better looking flight attendants, that is one of the main reasons I fly with TG, and my girlfriend knows, but it does not bother her... We are men, after all smile.png

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 1

They already have 60 year old flight attendants in F class on TG. I have had quite a few already on my flights. Some are downright rude and belong on the ground .

Agreed. On one domestic flight I was on, the older Thai attendant (on a flight Bangkok to Chiang Mai) refused to communicate with me because she apparently could not understand my Thai, and did not speak English (apparently). All patrons on-board were served water during the flight, except for me. Lets say I was less than happy with the service.

On my last trip (in July), we had excellent service from Auckland to Bangkok by a waitress named Ransanee S., a young and really lovely girl. I had a bit of a disagreement with the other half, and childishly went on hunger strike. I am not the smallest lad, so it only lasted 3 hours... when I asked the attendant (Raksanee S, 22-25yrs old female, if they had meals, she told me they did not, but that she would give me her meal so as to not go hungry. I didn't deserve it, but I am Farang, so have a reputation to uphold.. smile.png

Later in the flight, I asked the on-board manager for a feedback note so that I could ensure Raksanee was given the appreciation from the company for the outstanding service she had provided. Upon return, the inflight manager gave me the feedback form, requesting I kindly give positive feedback for him too (Thai Male, 50+ years) for having bought the form over.

And yes, I do appreciate better looking flight attendants, that is one of the main reasons I fly with TG, and my girlfriend knows, but it does not bother her... We are men, after all smile.png

Does that mean that all 45+ are worse people? Yes, it's true that men like to see a sexy ass in a uniform, even some girls do.

Yes, it's true that flirting with a 21 year old makes us guys happy.

It's not about what men want to see, it;s about the right to do your job until you're 60.

And that might have some serious financial reasons regarding retirement as well. Could you please forward me Raksanee's phone number, just wanted to thank her----biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Does that mean that all 45+ are worse people? Yes, it's true that men like to see a sexy ass in a uniform, even some girls do.

Yes, it's true that flirting with a 21 year old makes us guys happy.

It's not about what men want to see, it;s about the right to do your job until you're 60.

And that might have some serious financial reasons regarding retirement as well. Could you please forward me Raksanee's phone number, just wanted to thank her----biggrin.png

Ha ha, I would have offered to thank her too, had I had the guts to do so, and had I been single :) But regardless, she smiled and provided me with kindness that was not shown (and has never been shown) by the older cabin crew on TG. I think it is fine to raise the age to 60, but only for senior positions (eg. in-flight service managers). The numbers should be whittled down depending on age, with a smaller number of highly experienced staff who show outstanding consistent performance, managing a younger, more friendly (and better looking) front line staff (male and female, though the senior Thai male staff do present themselves very well, I commend them) - which face it, are often cheaper to hire straight out of university than their older peers.

Raksanee S, I sincerely hope is on my next flight, I shall be bringing a kiwi gift for her (yes, I will actually buy her something from here :) ).

I agree. Especially on the American airlines, the attendants all seem bitter and tired. Even the young male ones are already bitter and sullen. On a recent United Airlines flight, I was suffering from a migraine, and felt about to puke, when I asked them for an aspirin, and was told they didn't have any. I know they are not doctors or nurses, but I don't think it would kill them to dispense an aspirin.

Not sure I get your point? How could they dispense what they are not provided? Are you saying they should carry their own personal stash at their own expense and share it with passengers?

They no longer dispense aspirin/panadol, etc., because of public liability issues. Some years back an airline was sued by some ungrateful type who had been given an aspirin, chiseling away at a compensation offer for a perceived adverse reaction, so the easy fix is not to carry them. That's what it was in the Australian airlines.

It would be easy to become 'bitter and tired' in such a crappy job, and the quality of passengers dropped dramatically with the advent of low cost carriers. Airlines now carry the former bus travelers, sort of the new rich, but their wealth hasn't increased, just the fares dropped into their range.

Edited by F4UCorsair