Burmese Whispers: A Paranoid Response From Idle Older Expats

fruittbatt

It has been brought to my attention that a particularly vicious myth is being spread around the expat community in Chiang Mai regarding people from Burma who reside in Northern Thailand.

The gist of this paranoid tale, as it was related to me, is that all "Burmese" (by which they mean people from Burma regardless of their ethnicity) are now returning to their birth country and "taking everything they can lay their hands on".

This is a truly disgusting allegation, particularly as the people targeted cannot defend themselves against such rubbish. Most ethnic groups from Burma are extremely poor. They are often deprived of even the most basic rights to education, health care, and a fair wage in this country. And here is a bunch of idle, comparatively rich, fearful farang spreading slander against this marginalised, disadvantaged group.

This story also has personal resonance. About two months ago I was planning an extended holiday abroad. Since I would be locking up my place for an extended period I decided that I did not really need to employ my maid from Burma during that time. I did not want her to miss the opportunity of permanent employment with someone else as she is in great demand, being an excellent worker and impeccably honest. So it was with great regret that my husband and I decided to let her go. We had never really felt comfortable about having someone do work which we are quite capable of doing ourselves, and we also needed to conserve costs at this time given the financial squeeze.

On my return, I was approached by a person in my Condominium asking whether it was true that I had dismissed my maid for "bad reasons". I assured him this was certainly not the case, and that the maid in question has great integrity as well as being a very hard worker.

So, I am posting this in the hope of laying to rest the insidious rumours about a group which has been slandered by some toxic farangs in our community. May I suggest that these people could devote their time to more wholesome activities. Perhaps some could even teach "the Burmese" English?

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teach the Burmese English had to laugh at that I was getting dinner a few months ago in my not very good Thai. The waitress informed me she was Burmese and could not understand a word I said. She spoke perfect English.

I was in a Burmese refuge camp a couple of months ago at the request of a NGO. I asked them if people were returning to Burma now and was informed not very many there was still people coiming out.

I asked a friend who is on a contract with the UN in the area Mai Sot and he told me the same thing. So I don't believe the rumor and this is the first I have heard of it. There is still as lot of violence in the country.

• Like 1

I am not exactly clear the point the OP is trying to make here, but it reminded me of an article I have been reading about the Kayan people, more famously known as the Long Necks of Mae Hong Song. They originate from Burma on the Padaung lands around Mong Pai on the borders of Burmas Shan and Kayah states.

Long story story, but under the British rule the Padaung continued to live in their traditional way, protected to some degree (like all Burmas upland minority people) from the cultural pressures of the majority Burman population. Following independence in 1948, however the Kayan found themselves unwillingly but inevitably caught up in Burmas civil wars as was all their neighbours…first the Karen, then the Karenni and then the Shan each rebelled against Rangoons harsh rule.

Until quite recently there were no Paduang in Thailand. Then in 1987 following a destructive attack by the Tatmawdaw; Rangoons ruthless armed forces, many of the regions estimated 7000 Padaung were displaced, about 300 whom crossed the Thai/Burma frontier into Mae Hong Song province and settled in 2 villages Nai Soi and Nam Paeng Din, but strongly under the influence of the Karenni Peoples Progressive Party KPPP, that is the political wing of the rebel Karenni Army.

It didn’t take long for the KPPP and the KA and the local Thais to realise that the new refugees with their spectacularly different womenfolk were a potential money spinner. The Karennis needed all the finance they could raise for refugee support (and their fight against the Tatmawdaw) whilst the Thais were eager for a new tourist attraction.

Thus the Long Neck hill tribe villages were born with KNPP men guarding the gates of the settlements.

The tribe people didn’t mind, as a result of the relative wealth brought about by the Long Neck tourist tradetheir villages have become very well off. Moreover unlike other refugee groups who have been pushed back across the border by the Thai authorities, Padaung and Karenni settlements have been left alone and even have adequate primary schools and medical facilities..

But grateful as they may be to their Thai hosts, they are eager to leave their “human zoos” and return home as soon as an agreement between the KNU and the Burmese military authorities is signed.

Now in light of the OP “ferocious” defence of rumours abound/afoot or whatever…with the new Government opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and changes rapidly taking place in Burma presently I think there is a lot of credence in the so called rumours….but not sure why the OP is so upset about it all.

And our Burmese maid took off after stealing 10,000 baht belonging to my mum in law. (Stupid of her to have that amount in her purse, but okay.) Does that in any way reflect badly on other people from Burma: of course not; that'd be even more stupid. Nice troll topic though, should get a good run.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

slightly offline from the general point, the op was planning an extended holiday, so he released his maid for a couple of months to save costs, does that make any sense, if your cutting costs you don't go on a extended holiday and you don't have a maid.

• Like 1

And our Burmese maid took off after stealing 10,000 baht belonging to my mum in law. (Stupid of her to have that amount in her purse, but okay.) Does that in any way reflect badly on other people from Burma: of course not; that'd be even more stupid. Nice troll topic though, should get a good run.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, WTK. But as for your final sentence, all I can say is I hope so.... I'm having a slow weekend!

Not sure about being a troll topic. But as I said earlier I never heard of it until now. But as a earlier poster said he heard it from Thais. So there may be some truth in the rumor bit. But for reality I seriousley seriousley doubt it is happening. OK maybe the odd case but that happens in all truley grerat societies. That out to bring a few posts.

Edited by hellodolly

Teach the Burmese English had to laugh at that I was getting dinner a few months ago in my not very good Thai. The waitress informed me she was Burmese and could not understand a word I said. She spoke perfect English.

If you go to a nice 4-5 Star restaurant in Thailand and the waiter/waitress speaks particularly good English without an accent at all, chances are he/she is Burmese. In Phuket most of the nice hotels (at least in Kata) are all managed by Burmese people in their mid to late 20's-30's. At one nice hotel I stayed on a recent trip to Phuket, both the manager and the assistant manager were Burmese. The manager spoke perfect English, he also spoke excellent German with me. The g/f said his Thai was as good as someone who was born here. We complimented him on his language skills and he told us he also spoke fluent French and was studying Russian. The assistant manger also spoke excellent fluent English, Thai and I overheard him speaking Russian to one of the guests.

• Like 1

As my oldest friend in Chiang Mai says, "my first language is Shan, my second is Burmese, my third is English, and my fourth is Thai."

When she hit Bangkok at the age of 21, she'd never heard anyone speak Thai, but she had English class every day in Tonggyi.

She does plan to revisit her home soon, by the way, but told me she's only interested in seeing how things have changed in ten years. Her child is Thai, and she has no interest in dislocating her from the only culture she's known.

Edited by anselpixel

I can assure you that this was never intended as a "troll" topic, as some have suggested here.

My point is simply to alert TV readers that an insidious rumour is out there - which is slandering some hard-working people from Burma who do not deserve to be labelled negatively. In fact, in the case of my former maid, I have never met a more honest and hard-working person.

I also hope that putting this defence of disadvantaged people out into the public arena may just shame the (YES) older retired Farangs who have nothing better to do than to spread gossip without knowing the facts.

Where does this secret society of older Farangs meet?, to spread these

rumors,and how does it benefit them? as I have never heard anything.!!

In a few years time I can see the tables been turned,as migrants will be

moving to Burma looking for employment.

Regards Worgeordie

Regards Worgeordie

I do know the identity of individuals who spread some of this crap, and I also know that one person saw fit to broadcast his bigoted views to a whole dining group. Enough said.

Like you, Worgeordie, I really hope that things improve in Burma to the point where refugees might consider repatriating, but it won't happen overnight, and it is certainly not a cause for alarm like these farangs are suggesting it is.

Who is spreading a vicious myth around the expat community in Chiang Mai regarding people from Burma who reside in Northern Thailand and who brought it to the fruittbatt`s attention? Who’s making the allegations and how does this tale relate to the batt as she describes?

Why did the fruittbatt let her maid go when she was only away for less then two months and not keep the job open for the maid on return from the trip, even if the maid was not paid during the fruitbatts absence, if she was such an excellent worker and impeccably honest as the fruitbatt claims?

Over to you, fruittbatt.

Regards Worgeordie

I do know the identity of individuals who spread some of this crap, and I also know that one person saw fit to broadcast his bigoted views to a whole dining group. Enough said.

Like you, Worgeordie, I really hope that things improve in Burma to the point where refugees might consider repatriating, but it won't happen overnight, and it is certainly not a cause for alarm like these farangs are suggesting it is.

may i ask why you did not address this individual directly?

Yes, the same, many prejudges about burma people, in Mae Sot I meet many BTW the burmese girls are very pretty, I think the problem is about Burma people working in very bad conditions/salary, for bad thai boss so in that situation you can expect they get something at the end.

Since I hang with low end of farang society in Chiang mai never a word of such nonsense. These are typical of runors that are spread by certain people who have racist beliefs. I have to ask why they would go back to start with nothing has really changed in Burma appears to be a lot of talk about getting all nice and having a love in. They did do the smart thing and let the Lady lose but she has no power and can be contained. To the Op the only person I have heard spreading such rumors is you in a a post putting the blame else where.

I have met both Mr. & Mrs. Fruitbatt and can assure they are not the type of people who would take the time to troll. They have become aware of something they feel to be a real instance/occurance/cause and have expressed an opinion. Everyone does have the right to accept or reject this view.

But Fruitbatt, let me suggest that when you experience a feeling like this, and feel the need to make a post on TV about it, please check that it is not a slow posting week end.

I sincerely feel should JC himself , walk down Thaepae Road, we have those who would start a debate about Him walking on the wrong side of the street, or going to the wrong gate.

I will say, as per my feelings gained from 25 years here, that I do find the Burmese/Shan people to be much harder working people than the local Thai. Having said that, I attribute that to their circumstance. They are displaced and trying to make a niche for themselves in a different world/place. The locals, are, well, locals and already have their place, thus do not have to struggle with the difficulties faced by the Burmese. I would also agree with the poster who said something to the effect that if there is such a rumor afoot, he has heard much more complaining from the Thai, than the farang , re the Burmese.

OMHO

G

• Like 2