Impeach Me Over Thaksin Passport: Surapong

webfact

POLITICS

Impeach me over Thaksin passport: Surapong

The Nation

30190598-01_big.jpg

Surapong

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Towichuk-chaikul challenged the opposition Democrat Party and Green Politics Group yesterday to push ahead with impeachment proceedings over the issuing of a passport to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, saying the Foreign Ministry had done nothing illegal.

"If anybody wants to impeach me, go ahead. Lodge the petition with the anti-graft body and I'll have a chance to explain and show evidence," he said.

"It's a political game. Ex-PM Thaksin was [just caught up in it]. All countries around the world know this, so he is welcome everywhere. Whatever passport he holds, there is no problem at all," Surapong told reporters.

Democrat MP Wirat Kalyasiri from Songkhla said his party had submitted a petition to impeach Surapong and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to the National Anti-Corruption Commis-sion in January, but proceedings were slow.

The opposition has accused Yingluck and Surapong of misconduct after the Foreign Ministry issued a regular Thai passport to Thaksin in October last year. It said the move contravened the charter and criminal law as Thaksin was a convicted fugitive and not qualified to hold a Thai passport.

Foreign Ministry regulations prohibit the issuing of a passport to a person under an arrest warrant or who has the potential to hurt the country's interest, Wirat said.

The Ombudsman ruled last week the issuance of a passport to Thaksin was illegal and urged the ministry and the minister to review the decision.

Foreign Ministry permanent secretary Sihasak Phuangketkeow said the ministry was studying the Ombuds-man's opinion and would reply and explain legal aspects and grounds for the issuance to the Ombudsman's office.

Wirat said the Democrats would take the Ombudsman's decision to the anti-graft body to weigh the evidence and speed up the impeachment process.

Thaksin's passport was cancelled in 2009 by the Democrat-led government. Then-foreign minister Kasit Piromya decided that Thaksin, who is accused of funding the red-shirt movement, could hurt Thailand from abroad.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-18

From last year:

Posted 2011-12-16 17:01:08

Thaksin in possession of new Thai passport : FM

Foreign Minister Surapong Tohvichakchaikul said his ministry had repealed the passport ban on Thaksin

The minister said this was done because Thaksin is harmless

From yesterday:

"If anybody wants to impeach me, go ahead. Lodge the petition with the anti-graft body and I'll have a chance to explain and show evidence," he said.

Yes, let's see the evidence that he's "harmless".

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Yes mr Surapong, you hand delivered a passport to a criminal on the run sentenced by Thai courts. Your statement that mr Thaksin can travel everywhere in the world holds no ground as you are a THAI minister and you do not abide to the laws of your country! Treason comes to mind.

The Foreign Minister is a prime candidate for violating Section 157 of the criminal code for abuse of power.

Technically speaking, is FM So-F'ing-Wrong 'important' enough to be impeached? I thought impeachment was reserved for PMs and Presidents. I could be wrong (but I'm not So-F'ing-Wrong!).

It's a simple language issue I think.

There's not a single instance of "impeach" being used anywhere in the Constitution for any one, including the PM, but there's a loooong list on protocols for "removing" office holders of every ilk from MP's to the National Human Rights Commission.

Technically speaking, is FM So-F'ing-Wrong 'important' enough to be impeached? I thought impeachment was reserved for PMs and Presidents. I could be wrong (but I'm not So-F'ing-Wrong!).

"But the Constitution states in Article II, section 4, of YOUR glorious constitution states: “The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United Sates,” are subject to impeachment".

So you ARE wrong!!!

I'm appalled, I thought it had taken only two days because of flooded offices. Now I learn it's like apply Oct 25th, issued Nov 4th, delivered ???

Sorry, but the MoFA is no longer on top of my list of ministries to have achieved well.

I'm sure the MoFA are gutted.

• 3 weeks later...

Thaksin passport to be explained

The Foreign Affairs Ministry will by Friday send its explanation on the decision to issue a passport to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to the Ombudsman, saying the issuance was made in accordance with Article 21 of the ministry regulations, a high-ranking official said.

The passport issuance was also made in line with the government's policy, which sees Thaksin as no threat, who did nothing to hurt the country, the source said.

The Ombudsman ruled a month ago that the ministry committed misconduct and must explain its decision in issuing a passport to the fugitive former premier, who faces conviction on corruption charges if he returns to Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-10

Thaksin passport to be explained

The Foreign Affairs Ministry will by Friday send its explanation on the decision to issue a passport to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to the Ombudsman, saying the issuance was made in accordance with Article 21 of the ministry regulations, a high-ranking official said.

The passport issuance was also made in line with the government's policy, which sees Thaksin as no threat, who did nothing to hurt the country, the source said.

The Ombudsman ruled a month ago that the ministry committed misconduct and must explain its decision in issuing a passport to the fugitive former premier, who faces conviction on corruption charges if he returns to Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-10

This will make for one of the better, more convoluted explanations. When a conviction isn't a conviction. Interesting logic.