Mini-Flood Crisis Centre (Froc) Being Set Up: Thailand

webfact

Mini-flood crisis centre being set up

THE NATION

30190575-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Officials from 17 agencies are set to work together at a new unit - dubbed the mini Flood Relief Operations Centre (Froc) - to oversee efficient national water management.

Floods have ravaged many provinces, including Sukhothai, Phitsanulok and Angthong.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee, in his capacity as chairman of the Water and Flood Management Commission (WFMC), ordered the setting up of the Water Situation Monitoring and Analysis Centre.

"The relevant authorities are required to send their representatives to this centre to forge closer cooperation," an informed source at Government House disclosed yesterday.

According to the source, the new centre is in the Office of National Water and Flood Management Policy.

"It's not Froc because relevant authorities have not yet been required to move all their stuff to this centre," the source said.

Froc was set up last year to try to contain a huge crisis that ended up doing billions of baht worth of dam?age.

Plodprasop said yesterday that the government was now confident it would be able to tackle flood threats efficiently this year.

"Current water volume is much lower than last year," he said.

Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit said flooding had only hit some areas in affected provinces such as Sukhothai.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk added: "The situation in Sukhothai should return to normal within a few days if there is no additional rainfall."

The disaster prevention and mitigation chief for Phitsanulok, Boonying Khumsuphan, said the water level in Phrom Phiram, Muang and Bang Rakam districts was likely to increase by at least 50 centimetres today because run-off water from Sukhothai was heading downstream.

"In some low-lying areas, the flood-water level may soar above 1 metre," he warned.

In Angthong's Pa Moke district, Wipada Kesbamrung lamented that flood water around her home was becoming so polluted she could hardly sleep because of the smell.

In Pathum Thani, flood water has swamped some local villages and markets near Rangsit Prayoonsak Canal.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the water level in many canals in the capital was rising but was still at manageable levels.

He said recent flooding in Bangkok was a result of heavy downpours, as it took some time to drain all rainwater away.

"On affected key roads, we can do it in a few hours, but it takes longer elsewhere," he said.

In a related development, the Network of Northern River Basins proposed 11 guidelines for sustainable water management, including small community dykes. The network, however, expressed opposition against any plan to build large dams.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-18

The government's grip on flood control now defrocced for all to see.

Where did all those billions go?

Over 140,000 people now down on their (Ying) luck and millions yet to be compensated for last year.

Friends of the Thai? Pull the other one.

Edited by Moruya
  • Like 2

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee has yet again shown the nation just how inept he is within any office he has held.

​Flood alleviation is completely beyond his comprehension, he should step aside & pass the responsibility on to those that can do the job.

​Yingluck has up to now tolerated these buffoons but at some point even she must shake her head in bewilderment at the complete ineptitude they possess.

Instead of surrounding herself with these incompetent fools she must seek out new blood that can actually solve problems instead of creating new ones.

The Thai people as much as they like her will eventually grow tired of their annual suffering, loyalties will be tested when voting time comes around.

If she wants to remain a credible leader in the eyes of the Thai people & indeed the world she needs to distance herself from those that will eventually bring about her downfall, she needs a reshuffle sooner rather than later.

Where were the FROC,... I missed them soo much..cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Son of FROC - what an absolutely brilliant idea!!!! Let's make it bigger by co-ordinating all of the authorities into one single large body and call it 'MINI FROC'.

I'm speechless...........which doesn't happen very often!!blink.png.

Son of FROC - what an absolutely brilliant idea!!!! Let's make it bigger by co-ordinating all of the authorities into one single large body and call it 'MINI FROC'.

Come on man, I think they'll do a kickass job to mismanage everything yet again…

Come on man, I think they'll do a kickass job to mismanage everything yet again…

They do have a propensity to cock things up I agree!!!