Best Prices For Cheese In Cm

jaideeguy

Been all over town looking for decent prices on cheese, a decent cheddar [not processed] and especially a parmesian and I would lower my standards to 'kraft' [krap] cheese and even in Makro a 125 gram shaker bottle sells for 250thb.......three times the price in US.

Maybe someone knows of a cheaper source and will share??

Go and have a look in hide away down hang dong road drive past the airport plaza going towards hang dong when you see the Big SCB bank on your left hand side drive up the soi just before it, there is a sign on it also "hide away" drive about 1 km and it's on the left hand side.

It's a thai diary the milk is really good not sure about the cheese because i don't eat it but my friends have said it was ok .

• Like 1

Go and have a look in hide away down hang dong road drive past the airport plaza going towards hang dong when you see the Big SCB bank on your left hand side drive up the soi just before it, there is a sign on it also "hide away" drive about 1 km and it's on the left hand side.

It's a thai diary the milk is really good not sure about the cheese because i don't eat it but my friends have said it was ok.

Dacheeso's fresh dairy products are superb. Their aged cheeses, though, are mostlymade for Thai tastes. Might be good for children, too. They're very mild. I suspect that one of the reasons for this is to properly age cheeses like cheddar, you have to give it at least 6 months in a temperature controlled environment. Which means A/C and lots of storage space. This is expensive given Thailand's climate.

Go and have a look in hide away .......It's a thai diary the milk is really good not sure about the cheese because i don't eat it but my friends have said it was ok.

Dacheeso's fresh dairy products are superb. Their aged cheeses, though, are mostlymade for Thai tastes. Might be good for children, too. They're very mild. I suspect that one of the reasons for this is to properly age cheeses like cheddar, you have to give it at least 6 months in a temperature controlled environment. Which means A/C and lots of storage space. This is expensive given Thailand's climate.

I have bought DaCheeso's cheese at Rim Ping and at their outlet in the Hide Away restaurant and, to my tastes, none of it is aged. None of it really has the flavor I grew up associating with the names.

Their gruyere cheese has the "sharpest" taste.

Their parmesan is soft at the factory. It would shred but I doubt it would grate worth a darn. I did buy a small cup of their grated parmesan at Rim Ping one time so I was surprised they did not sell it at the factory. I bought a 1/2 kg block of it on my last visit and put it in the freezer hoping that would dry it out without it getting moldy. Time will tell.

Dacheeso cheese tastes like crap. There is no polite way to say it. I've tried a few of them, recently the smoked mozzarella. They are all bland and tasteless.

I recently checked out Yok and thery have a small selection and prices are no better than Rimping. Recently there was a thread here and members recommended a bar near the Night Bazaar and also a place on the Super Highway to buy cheese. I haven't searched for them and don't have high hopes.

If you're looking for the best prices,it's Makro,IMO...but you've been there already....not much selection thou sad.png

It *IS* the best place, and the best value for the price. You just need to get their own ARO brand, either the frozen grated cheddar (in the freezer) or the big 2 kg cheddar log. It's about 350 baht per kilo, so quite reasonable.

I often buy cheddar cheese at the Kasem Store on Nimenhemen, a little south of Huay Kaew Rd, near Suk Kasem Road. They have a selection of other cheese too. The quality is good but I don't recall the price--but I think it's less expensive than Tops, where I also get medium cheddar.

Was at the Gekko Garden a short while ago. They sell cheese as well: Gouda, Edammer, American Parmesan and Blue Cheese (and maybe one or two more cheeses). Price range (if i recall well) between 500 and 700+ baht per kilo.

Yeah, agree that 'dacheeso' is not the best grade....even from their factory and so far, Makro is the best I've seen in 'The Kingdom' of non cheese eaters, but still a luxury item. I did find an American brand of parmesian cheese 'Schreiber' that was a notch below Krap cheese and priced a bit less, but not in stock for a while. And, agree that the frozen grated cheddar is not bad value @ 350thb, but takes up too much of my freezer space.

Some decent deals in the 2kilo blocks that can be kept in the refrigerator, but I've had them go moldy on me and had to throw 30% of it away...the dog wouldn't even eat it.

So, my cheese chasing post hasn't yielded any secret places yet.

Wonder where the Italian restaurants get their cheese??

I too miss cheese, Makro is ok but the only cheese they have is cheddar, Parmasan, Philadelphia and small portions of Danish Blue. I will go and have a look at Gecko garden but otherwise its mortgage the house and go the Rimping or Tops

Makro has many more varieties than that in the Mae Rim store.

I too miss cheese, Makro is ok but the only cheese they have is cheddar, Parmasan, Philadelphia and small portions of Danish Blue. I will go and have a look at Gecko garden but otherwise its mortgage the house and go the Rimping or Tops

Makro has many more varieties than that in the Mae Rim store.

also in the Hang Dong store

The Hang Dong Makro had a imported section at the front when you first go in with over 100 selections. as well as a Bulk section in the back corner. I do the the 2.2 kilo blocks of Cheddar from New Zealand. Sharpest I have found (Thanks Jason) about 700 Bt but sometimes on sale. The grated cheddar in the freezer section is OK for cooking too

If you're looking for the best prices,it's Makro,IMO...but you've been there already....not much selection thou sad.png

It *IS* the best place, and the best value for the price. You just need to get their own ARO brand, either the frozen grated cheddar (in the freezer) or the big 2 kg cheddar log. It's about 350 baht per kilo, so quite reasonable.

I was buying the ARO 2 kg cheddar blocks at the Makro here in Phitsanulok. Then about year ago, they began stocking the Pauley brand FROM WISCONSIN! Don't know if they stock it in CM, but it is head and shoulders above the ARO product and costs only 20-40 baht more for the block. It is quite respectable for a mild cheddar. No sharp, unfortunately.

I like Dacheeso's products, but their cheddar is unlike any other. I find the texture is very rubbery and he anaemic colour is a bit off putting......very un-cheddar like. It's been the same for as long as I remember, but as it hasn't changed, I guess there is sufficient market for it in this form.

Edited by uptheos

The cheddar cheese from New Zealand (Anchor Brand) is of decent quality, and it comes in a two kilo brick for about 870 baht at Makro. The Aro brand from Australia is about 100 baht less, but it tastes artificial. I purchase a brick, cut off what I need and then wrap the large brick in plastic wrap and store it away until I need another chunk, then cut a new piece of plastic wrap on it. To me, this seems about the best deal around for decent cheese. If you feel that you cannot use a whole brick, it should be quite easy to get someone to share a third or half of it.

As far as DeCheeso goes, their soft cheeses are barely acceptable, but when there is nothing else it has to do. I avoid their hard cheeses as they are not aged at all.

At the Makro store in Hang Dong, there is a deli counter when you first walk in and there are several imported cheeses, and they sell parts of a brick there--this service is not available at the other branches.

I wish that I could find a good cottage cheese and creamed cottage cheese in larger size containers. If anyone has the heads up on this, I wish that they could share the information.