Drink Driving Blitz Starts Oct 1St

kaptainrob

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the notice again.....its not for farang obviously...can anyone read it?

the only plausible thing there, is that there maybe a possibilty of escaping the fine by instantly buying 0.5g of gold and transferring it to the roadside officer.

Its obviously for Thais guys........and in truth at 1 am the BIB dont want hassle of dealing with us, we are too complicated, especially when drunk.

LOL, is that what you're going to tell them? I couldn't read the sign. This isn't for farang. I wasn't properly warned

drunk driving tests at 12am-3am is nothing more than a scam to drum up cash. the roads are virtually ghost at 12-3 and 90% of the people out and about are drunks.

At far greater issue is the cars and trucks driving 100 km an hour past elementary school grounds. Vehicles zipping up and down the streets at triple the speed limit, Drunks driving during the day when kids are out and the traffic is 50x denser.

So your saying drunk driving is ok at night.. hmmm.

Yea... That's what I said.. rolleyes.gif

Ok if that was not what you mean sorry, must have misinterpreted it.

No, that's actually what he said. Duh.

I kind of agree; from personal experience it's a lot more difficult to drive at 5pm after having 1 beer (or no beer, for that matter) than at 2am after having had 5.(*)

But as a non-drunk driver blessed by living in a place with round the clock cheap public transport you probably don't have first hand experience with that difference.

In practise, Thailand has VERY lax enforcement combined with VERY harsh alcohol limits. That's completely the wrong way around for a country suffering from a real and serious alcohol abuse challenge. When you have a single glass of wine at a nice French or Italian restaurant you could well be over the limit. Two glasses and you're guaranteed to be over.

(*)Applies to people who arent 'angry-drunk' idiots, who drive carefully no matter what they ate or drank and extra carefully late at night, if only to be aware of any angry drunk idiots out there on the road.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No, that's actually what he said. Duh.

I kind of agree; from personal experience it's a lot more difficult to drive at 5pm after having 1 beer (or no beer, for that matter) than at 2am after having had 5.(*)

But as a non-drunk driver blessed by living in a place with round the clock cheap public transport you probably don't have first hand experience with that difference.

In practise, Thailand has VERY lax enforcement combined with VERY harsh alcohol limits. That's completely the wrong way around for a country suffering from a real and serious alcohol abuse challenge. When you have a single glass of wine at a nice French or Italian restaurant you could well be over the limit. Two glasses and you're guaranteed to be over.

(*)Applies to people who arent 'angry-drunk' idiots, who drive carefully no matter what they ate or drank and extra carefully late at night, if only to be aware of any angry drunk idiots out there on the road.

Then he is an crazy guy saying its ok to drink and drive at night. Just did not get the emoction.

Sure its easier to drive drunk when there are less cars on the road, but its even easier not to drink and drive. Just because its easier does not make it right. You could kill someone, if you only endanger yourself im ok with it. But that is clearly not the case in drunk drivers.

They are selfish put their pleasure before the safety of others. If you can afford a nice out here you can afford a ride even if relatively expensive. If you can't then stay home.

Your subscript is also crazy you are still more of a risk then were you to drive sober.

I hope they catch you and deport you if you are well over the limit. I really have no tolerance for people who endanger others. I lost a family member to a drunk driver. Sad thing is the drunk drivers usually survive but their victims dont.

I have much more respect to those who drive without a helmet or seat belts as they endanger themselves. I am all for freedom and less rules but not when you potentially kill others.

Get as drunk as you want use as many drugs as you want as long as you don't bother or endanger others.

Did you know that you are 10 times more likely to have an accident walking home drunk than you are driving home drunk. blink.png

That aside how can enforcing the law be in any way classed as a bad thing here ? Lots of comments on drunken cops and Tuk Tuk drivers as if this in some way justifies others doing it ?

I really don't see the sense or reason behind the notification of the crackdown with signs giving dates and times.

If you drink and drive and put other lives at risk then not only are you an idiot but have no respect for other people and I hope you get caught.

I would like to see many more road stops in force for drink driving (with severe penalties) or for any other offence on the road ie no licence and insurance to be administered more strongly.

I do not want my family or I killed or injured because of others stupidity and total disregard for the law.

• Like 1

Sad thing is the drunk drivers usually survive but their victims dont.

As I'm quite partial to this whole living thing, I guess being a drunk driver is the better option for me. Would hate to be a dead sober victim, when I could have been a surviving drunk!! burp.gif

-Mestizo

• Like 1

My intended meaning - there are far better times and ways to go about protecting families/children/innocents from hazardous driving than at 12am-3am when 90% of the people on the road are buzzed and the roads are virtually empty. For example, off the top of my head, a better time might be when school is getting out, to go and catch the drunks / texters / telephone talkers, and speeders in school zones. Also, IMO far more dangerous than drunks, is the huge amount of terrifyingly moronic high speed drivers - which absolutely nothing is done about.

As it is, this is nothing more than a scam to drum up cash, not make the roads safer. I hope I've made myself clearer... Cheers.

Ah the standard but they do something worse defense. There is no reason for not to do both grab the drunk drivers at night and the guys you are moaning about (and rightly so). But this sounds too much like don't catch me please i'm not doing a real bad thing while you are.

Its not illegal for normal people to drive in those times you designate for drunk drivers. I stand by my opinion if you can go out getting pissed you can afford a taxi too (even though they are more expensive there) or else go out less. There is no need to drive pissed.

My intended meaning - there are far better times and ways to go about protecting families/children/innocents from hazardous driving than at 12am-3am when 90% of the people on the road are buzzed and the roads are virtually empty. For example, off the top of my head, a better time might be when school is getting out, to go and catch the drunks / texters / telephone talkers, and speeders in school zones. Also, IMO far more dangerous than drunks, is the huge amount of terrifyingly moronic high speed drivers - which absolutely nothing is done about.

As it is, this is nothing more than a scam to drum up cash, not make the roads safer. I hope I've made myself clearer... Cheers.

Ah the standard but they do something worse defense. There is no reason for not to do both grab the drunk drivers at night and the guys you are moaning about (and rightly so). But this sounds too much like don't catch me please i'm not doing a real bad thing while you are.

Its not illegal for normal people to drive in those times you designate for drunk drivers. I stand by my opinion if you can go out getting pissed you can afford a taxi too (even though they are more expensive there) or else go out less. There is no need to drive pissed.

"designate times for drunk driving" blink.png . Sorry man, I don't say this to be rude, is your mother tongue English?

My experience has been that most tuk tuk drivers are far more drunk than I could accomplish at the end of the night.

The thing I love about driving in Thailand is that you never know what anyone could do on the road. It forces you to drive defensively - no matter what time of day it is. It's almost as if you have to be "Responsible" for your own safety here.

No doubt, a proactive, simultaneously offensive and defensive approach is best.

"designate times for drunk driving" blink.png . Sorry man, I don't say this to be rude, is your mother tongue English?

No my mother tongue is not English, i am Dutch, i probably speak a good many more languages then you.

But could you please attack my arguments instead of my use of your language. Its a big fail to attack someone his spelling if you cant win an argument.

Edited by robblok

I have much more respect to those who drive without a helmet or seat belts as they endanger themselves. I am all for freedom and less rules but not when you potentially kill others.

It's interesting sitting at a roadside bar. Guys who have cars and pick ups, are well tanked up and criticising the BIB for not being stricter with the Thai's who don't wear helmets! "Look at that idiot, he's going to be sorry one day"..................................yeah, when his (car driver) reactions aren't as good as he thought!

It's interesting sitting at a roadside bar. Guys who have cars and pick ups, are well tanked up and criticising the BIB for not being stricter with the Thai's who don't wear helmets! "Look at that idiot, he's going to be sorry one day"..................................yeah, when his (car driver) reactions aren't as good as he thought!

Yea its always someone else the BIB has to catch... classic they do something worse then me. Don't catch me catch them. Just as you see here in the threat.

I always wear my helmet or seat belt if i drive a car, it saved my live once. But at least not wearing one of those does not endanger the life of others.

Drunk drivers are really the lowest of the low. I always thought like that but after loosing someone to an idiot like that i am even more fanatic on this issue.

Putting their fun and drinking before the life of an other sad actually.

Edited by robblok

No my mother tongue is not English, i am Dutch, i probably speak a good many more languages then you.

But could you please attack my arguments instead of my use of your language. Its a big fail to attack someone his spelling if you cant win an argument.

Once again, you've misunderstood me. Doubly so.

My asking that had zero to do with your spelling or grammar (mine is often a bit crap as well), and it wasn't an attack....Sorry if you took it that way. I just wondered, because you didn't seem to be getting my point. As well, it's great you can speak more languages than me clap2.gif

Edited by happysanook

]

Once again, you've misunderstood me. Doubly so.

My asking that had zero to do with your spelling or grammar (mine is often a bit crap as well), and it wasn't an attack....Sorry if you took it that way. I just wondered, because you didn't seem to be getting my point. As well, it's great you can speak more languages than me clap2.gif

Your point is that its better to catch someone else then you when you drink and drive at night because its more dangerous to drink and drive during the day so they should get those people ?

Was that your point or not ?

Drunk drivers are really the lowest of the low.

Few Thais will agree with you.

Probably but that does not change my opinion of drunk driving. The fact that there are now hefty fines for it show things are slowly changing. If they enforce it well would be a step in the right direction.

Probably but that does not change my opinion of drunk driving. The fact that there are now hefty fines for it show things are slowly changing. If they enforce it well would be a step in the right direction.

Prostitution is also illegal here. I'm not sure whether you'll ever get Thailand.

Prostitution is also illegal here. I'm not sure whether you'll ever get Thailand.

Different story, they almost never catch people for it while drunk driving more and more people are caught.

I find it amazing the foreigners who think its acceptable to drink and drive. Then again Thailand does attract a lot of undesirables.

I get Thailand quite well been living here 7 years now. Before you could buy yourself out of it now they seem to get stricter. That is a good thing.

Different story, they almost never catch people for it while drunk driving more and more people are caught.

I find it amazing the foreigners who think its acceptable to drink and drive. Then again Thailand does attract a lot of undesirables.

I get Thailand quite well been living here 7 years now. Before you could buy yourself out of it now they seem to get stricter. That is a good thing.

And you are basing these statements on what evidence? IE your own personal observations and opinions influenced by your strong prejudice of drink drivers or fact.

Have you been stopped and checked? If yes, where and what happened? How did they check your alcohol/blood levels?

And you are basing these statements on what evidence? IE your own personal observations and opinions influenced by your strong prejudice of drink drivers or fact.

Have you been stopped and checked? If yes, where and what happened? How did they check your alcohol/blood levels?

Im basing it on members their experience and things changing in Pattaya. They had a breathalyser there.

I myself have not been checked yet, not that that says much as i have not been checked in the Netherlands and they have regular checks there.

What is wrong with thinking drunk drivers are the lowest of the low ? Are they not endangering others just so they can save some money on a taxi. Choosing that their pleasure is more important than the life of others ? Do you think its ok if i started playing Russian roulette with you without your consent ?

Tell me did you move here so you could drink and drive and now are shocked that people tell you you cant ? Are you one of those weak minded people who can't have fun without or with limited alcohol. Get plastered.. get a taxi. No shame in drinking, just shame in drinking and driving.

Think you only realize how bad it is once you loose someone like i did to an idiot like that.

Simple remedy. Just carry lots of water in your car and when stopped keep the windows up and doors locked. Sit there and drink copius amounts of water while saying "I can't take a breathelyser as I am too drunk, bup nung"

Worked for some.....

Im basing it on members their experience and things changing in Pattaya. They had a breathalyser there.

I myself have not been checked yet, not that that says much as i have not been checked in the Netherlands and they have regular checks there.

What is wrong with thinking drunk drivers are the lowest of the low ? Are they not endangering others just so they can save some money on a taxi. Choosing that their pleasure is more important than the life of others ? Do you think its ok if i started playing Russian roulette with you without your consent ?

Tell me did you move here so you could drink and drive and now are shocked that people tell you you cant ? Are you one of those weak minded people who can't have fun without or with limited alcohol. Get plastered.. get a taxi. No shame in drinking, just shame in drinking and driving.

Think you only realize how bad it is once you loose someone like i did to an idiot like that.

So your evidence of a crackdown in Chiang Mai is that they have a breathalyser in Pattaya and regular checks in the Netherlands.

I like the way you call me a drink driver, lowest of the low, weak minded bla bla bladeeda. You don't even know whether I drink or drive or even drink and drive but that doesn't stop you from making up silly stories about people.

Edited by Loaded

So your evidence of a crackdown in Chiang Mai is that they have a breathalyser in Pattaya and regular checks in the Netherlands.

I like the way you call me a drink driver, lowest of the low, weak minded bla bla bladeeda. You don't even know whether I drink or drive or even drink and drive but that doesn't stop you from making up silly stories about people.

Indeed I don't know if you drink and drive but your defending it so it stands to reason your one of those guys. Most normal guys don't defend drinking and driving.

You base your evidence on i never been checked so there are no checks. I just told you that they have checks in Pattaya. I used the part about the Netherlands to demonstrate that you don't have to be checked to know there are checkpoints. Just because you are not checked does not mean it does not happen. Just logic... did you drink too much and can't understand logic anymore.

The whole thing was that they were going to check in Chiang Mai and i just gave my opinion about drunk driving, you might not agree with it, that is up to you.

Choosing that their pleasure is more important than the life of others ? Do you think its ok if i started playing Russian roulette with you without your consent ?

So you find murdering people pleasurable? Also, if you shoot someone in the head, they die, you don't. Which usually isn't what happens in an accident. Both people die, or a drunk driver dies by himself, etc etc.

Worst analogy ever.

• Like 1

Choosing that their pleasure is more important than the life of others ? Do you think its ok if i started playing Russian roulette with you without your consent ?

So you find murdering people pleasurable? Also, if you shoot someone in the head, they die, you don't. Which usually isn't what happens in an accident. Both people die, or a drunk driver dies by himself, etc etc.

Worst analogy ever.

In most accidents the drunk driver hits a motorcycle... bye bye motorcycle. If two cars collide i grant you the drunk driver might die too.

The fact is that a drunk driver starts to risk others without their consent, there may or may not be an accident. So i still feel its a correct analog.

But bad analogy or not do you think drunk driving should be accepted ?

Indeed I don't know if you drink and drive but your defending it so it stands to reason your one of those guys. Most normal guys don't defend drinking and driving.

Quote where I defended drinking and driving.

It's just one made up piece of rubbish after another with your posts.

• Like 1