Getting A Certified Copy Of My Passport In Thailand

Asiantravel

I need to prepare a will to cover some property assets in the United Kingdom.

Apparently the rules regarding identification have changedin that now the UK Law Society requires its

members to ask for various identification from their clients before the will can be prepared including “ a certified copy of my passport “.

Can anyone advise who would be a suitable person in Thailand to certify a copy of my passport and what wording they write on the copy?

• Like 1

Uk-Embassy, Bangkok?

Quite right. I had to send a certified copy of my wife's UK passport in connection with a claim on the DWP. I took a copy to the Consulate at Pattaya, but they insisted on making their own copy of the original and stamped it. Charges for their notarial services are listed here:-

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/our-services-fee/

You could check as to whether your Thai bank manager may be acceptable. I did so with regards to a UK pension transfer 4 years ago and was allowed to have my local Kasikorn Bank manager certify my passport. I provided the wording and she signed it and applied the bank stamp. No cost.

You could check as to whether your Thai bank manager may be acceptable. I did so with regards to a UK pension transfer 4 years ago and was allowed to have my local Kasikorn Bank manager certify my passport. I provided the wording and she signed it and applied the bank stamp. No cost.

that's interestingsmile.png

Last night I sent an e-mail to my UK solicitor and asked who exactly qualifies to certify my copy.

It would be great if my bank manager could do the same.

Edited by Asiantravel

For anyone using your bank manager to certify your passport for any use, the wording is:

I certify this to be a true copy of the original.

Photocopy the main page of your passport bearing your photo then write or type the words just below the copied image. Have your bank manager sign & date it and apply their bank stamp. You should also present your original passport to the manager to satisfy him/her that your photocopy is indeed a true copy. Mine didn’t bother charging anything but I think they can charge around Bt200 (receipted) for their service.

As a rule of thumb a copy certified by an Embassy will be accepted by the intended reciprient whereas documents that have been certified elsewhere may not be. Banks & other institutions do go back to the certifier to confirm that the copy is genuine & that the person seeking the service was the person who's likeness (ie photo) is in the passport.

HTH

How can they accept a Copy from a money sucking institution (bank)?

You know I have to admit while I was sitting in the bank yesterday waiting to speak to someone I was thinking the same thing myself

laugh.png . Three of four decades ago bank manager was considered as a leading figure in society. But as you say, look at them as institutions today. bah.gif Very sad state of affairs

Edited by Asiantravel

How can they accept a Copy from a money sucking institution (bank)?

You know I have to admit while I was sitting in the bank yesterday waiting to speak to someone I was thinking the same thing myself

laugh.png . Three of four decades ago bank manager was considered as a leading figure in society. But as you say, look at them as institutions today. bah.gif Very sad state of affairs

Actually, I was seeing it from another point:

Someone needed a UK-pension transfer.

And the bank, that benefits only, if the money get to them, is approving, the passport is a 'genuine' copie. And the person, it belongs to, is actually the person, sitting in front of the desk. That's almost a invitation, to scam the UK-pension funds, in the future.

You know, in Greece, there are/have been a lot of dead people, still getting/got pension, every month.

I truly can't think, it's the right way, to let the pension fund, or another bank outside Thailand, accept 'certified' copies, from a bank in Thailand.

Would like to know, if this Thai Bank would accept the wish, to transfer from there Bank account to a UK Bank, with only a 'certified by the receiving bank' Copy of the passport. Actually I think, the manager of the Thai bank would cheesy.gif !!

Edited by noob7

^ Another superb post from yet another know-nothing…boring! The bank had nothing to do with the transfer (which was an internal British Isles transfer anyway) – the manager only obliged my request for her certification since I bank at her branch. Now, I realise we are in the General Topics forum where posts such as yours are only to be expected but please leave the thread unadulterated so that other people seeking genuine and useful information may do so. Thank you.

• Like 1

^ Another superb post from yet another know-nothing…boring! The bank had nothing to do with the transfer (which was an internal British Isles transfer anyway) – the manager only obliged my request for her certification since I bank at her branch. Now, I realise we are in the General Topics forum where posts such as yours are only to be expected but please leave the thread unadulterated so that other people seeking genuine and useful information may do so. Thank you.

coffee1.gif

Usually when someone requires you to certify something they will tell you somewhere else in the same requirement, who it has to be certified by. So best to go back to the original source of what you read and see what it says.

eg

For my work permit in Vietnam, they wanted certain documents certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Vietnamese Embassy.

For various day to day banking activities my Thai bank simply want me to sign a copy of my passport to certify it for their purposes

For a UK passport application, they list a wide range of people who can sign the back of a photo certifying it is a true likeness of you.

and so on...

:)