Bt1 Billion In Drugs Seized, Man Arrested In Chiang Mai

webfact

Bt1 billion in drugs seized, man arrested in Chiang Mai

The Nation

30190622-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Police have arrested a Chiang Rai man and seized 1.368 million yaba tablets and 108 kilograms of crystal meth worth a total of Bt1 billion, National Police chief Priewpan Damapong announced at a press conference on Tuesday.

The suspect, Weera Saelee, 25, was nabbed in Chiang Rai’s Thoeng district on Monday night as he, along with a male accomplice, drove two pick up trucks transporting the drugs across the border into Chiang Rai.

After officials fired bullets into the rear tyre of Weera's truck, then arrested him and seized the drugs, his accomplice left his pickup and fled. Weera reportedly confessed to transporting drugs on four previous occasions and said he had been paid Bt150,000 each time. He named his accomplice as Suradech Saelee, 29.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-18

The first thing I want to know (before the "hang 'em high" crowd jumps in) is...why did they take the seized packages from the remote border to the (presumably Chiang Rai) airport? From the map it looks like he was crossing from Laos, not Myanmar, since Thoeng district borders Laos (and only has a small strip of land border, most is on the Mekong).

So they got a little transport "fish", with a lot of drugs... a shame they didn't get the head of operation instead ..closedeyes.gif

The big guys expect seizures like this. According to the DEA website, cocaine traffickers expect a 10% loss between the production and distribution areas, due to law enforcement interception or robbery, but 10% loss is nothing on a 17000% profit margin. The numbers are apparently similar for this substance as well (this particular "mule" had a 20% loss). Makes you wonder if these sorts of seizures are intended for Thailand or head onto an international market. The people making the money on this aren't the ones getting arrested. A very corrupt world we find ourselves on.

one real hub thailand is or was (golden triangle, remember?) is drugsssssss

Yes I remember the heroin 96% pure and less that $10,000 a kilo, $10 a gram. Those were the days my friends. Now in Lao $60 a gram. Afghanistan has taken over the worlds production, dirty brown stuff, not taken to the fourth step in the process.

Pang/pong Khao.

• Like 1

Just another bullshit photo... Give me a break .. How did this guy even try to get all this stuff into Thailand in a pick up Truck .. look at the amount he is photographed with ..I mean you have to be really but really more than dumb stupid to try and cross a boder in an open pick up truck with this amount of dope and not expect to be caught ....................... Duh!!! Government trying to gain points on drug crackdowm is all this is to me ...

Just another bullshit photo... Give me a break .. How did this guy even try to get all this stuff into Thailand in a pick up Truck .. look at the amount he is photographed with ..I mean you have to be really but really more than dumb stupid to try and cross a boder in an open pick up truck with this amount of dope and not expect to be caught ....................... Duh!!! Government trying to gain points on drug crackdowm is all this is to me ...

The article said there there two (2) pickup trucks. The photo was taken next to a plane because they shot the 'tyres' out of one of the trucks and decided, because of that, they needed a transport upgrade to fly to BKK for evidence distribution storage.

Edited by MaxYakov

The first thing I want to know (before the "hang 'em high" crowd jumps in) is...why did they take the seized packages from the remote border to the (presumably Chiang Rai) airport? From the map it looks like he was crossing from Laos, not Myanmar, since Thoeng district borders Laos (and only has a small strip of land border, most is on the Mekong).

Interesting points and question. Perhaps they wanted to fly him and the drugs somewhere - maybe BKK. Do you have a second question?

I have said it before and I will say it again. Legalize/decriminalize it and make it available at pharmacies.

You don't "legalize" crystal meth,......that stuff is pure poison bah.gif

If people who wanted could get opium or good ol' thai sticks they probably wouldn't touch stuff like cristal meth or the like. That stuff is around because it can be made quick in a room rather than taking a season to grow, is smaller to transport than bulky opium and weed and of course makes people crazy rather than gettting high for a bit. Also if it wasn't taboo there could be open education regarding sensible and safe use instead of the usual nonsensical one sidedness. I.E. You can use alcohol but not weed.

Edited by leafmould

Yes I remember the heroin 96% pure and less that $10,000 a kilo, $10 a gram. Those were the days my friends. Now in Lao $60 a gram. Afghanistan has taken over the worlds production, dirty brown stuff, not taken to the fourth step in the process.

Pang/pong Khao.

Yeah I remember that as well, they called it Chinese Pink No.4. You mean to say noone makes that any more?

I thought they still did so in Burma. If what they seize (small quantities these days) is not No.4 then its No.3 and made in Afghan? That does not add up. I hear there are labs as close to Tachilek and they make it the good ole fashioned way. If its brown and from Afghan why would they export it here? I presume it goes through BKK and not Rangoon and if it does go through Rangoon why haul it all the way up to Waland which is the hottest border crossing point.

Just trying to make sense of the whole thing

db

Pang/pong Khao.

Yeah I remember that as well, they called it Chinese Pink No.4. You mean to say noone makes that any more?

I thought they still did so in Burma. If what they seize (small quantities these days) is not No.4 then its No.3 and made in Afghan? That does not add up. I hear there are labs as close to Tachilek and they make it the good ole fashioned way. If its brown and from Afghan why would they export it here? I presume it goes through BKK and not Rangoon and if it does go through Rangoon why haul it all the way up to Waland which is the hottest border crossing point.

Just trying to make sense of the whole thing

db

You are correct, it is still made here but exported because it brings in more money than if sold in the area. The Afghani does not come here, but goes to the rest of the world. Ya ba is socially acceptable and affordable, heroin is not socially acceptable in Thailand and too costly for the average Thai. So it is No. 4 in the area just as it was years ago, but very hard to find. 35 years ago everyone and their brother used to approach you to purchase. Nice to see that you have been there also.

"I've seen the needle and the damage done, a little part in everyone" Neil Young.

Edited by Colabamumbai

With mega huge profit margins, low life who are willing to produce, transport and paddle it, and law enforcements agencies

personal that can can be persuaded to turn a blind eye, we will continue to see this sort of stories for many years to come,

Quote: CHIANG MAI: -- Police have arrested a Chiang Rai man and seized 1.368 million yaba tablets and 108 kilograms of crystal meth worth a total of Bt1 billion, National Police chief Priewpan Damapong announced at a press conference on Tuesday.

First, it all happened in Chiangrai so why does the title and even the quoted section above mention Chiangmai ? Furthermore 1,3 billion tablets of Yaba and 108 kilograms of christal meth worth 1 billion THB ???

Here's what I remember: If you put some on tin foil and cooked it all that was left after was a thin sticky red film nothing else. I tried that with other varieties and there was always a thick black crust (impurities). If some water was added to it (as in a spoon say) it would dissolve autimatically, no need to stir or filter, it simply vanished. I myself would still use a filter but only as a "cushion" to prevent barbing the needles. The outcome of those operations are to me, the standards by which to measure all other varieties. Its the first and last time I ever saw quality other than clinically made. The latter were never any better. However, the kicker was that it left you with no pins and needles just a nice warm wave, like being inside ypur own air-conditioned balloon.

• Like 1

I have said it before and I will say it again. Legalize/decriminalize it and make it available at pharmacies.

You don't "legalize" crystal meth,......that stuff is pure poison bah.gif

Speed pills were sold legally in Thailand up till, I'm not sure here 10 or 20 years ago. Then they were pulled from the stores.

We are not talking meth, we are talking speed pills, No doze and the like, for long distance drivers etc....They were never illegal to start with.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Here's what I remember: If you put some on tin foil and cooked it all that was left after was a thin sticky red film nothing else. I tried that with other varieties and there was always a thick black crust (impurities). If some water was added to it (as in a spoon say) it would dissolve autimatically, no need to stir or filter, it simply vanished. I myself would still use a filter but only as a "cushion" to prevent barbing the needles. The outcome of those operations are to me, the standards by which to measure all other varieties. Its the first and last time I ever saw quality other than clinically made. The latter were never any better. However, the kicker was that it left you with no pins and needles just a nice warm wave, like being inside ypur own air-conditioned balloon.

With experience you can also judge purity with a tiny taste in the mouth, without actually injesting any.

Quote: CHIANG MAI: -- Police have arrested a Chiang Rai man and seized 1.368 million yaba tablets and 108 kilograms of crystal meth worth a total of Bt1 billion, National Police chief Priewpan Damapong announced at a press conference on Tuesday.

First, it all happened in Chiangrai so why does the title and even the quoted section above mention Chiangmai ? Furthermore 1,3 billion tablets of Yaba and 108 kilograms of christal meth worth 1 billion THB ???

Edited by lizardtongue

The reason it mentions Chiangmai is probably because the police he was working for are based there.........OMG did I say that?whistling.gif

Interesting points and question. Perhaps they wanted to fly him and the drugs somewhere - maybe BKK. Do you have a second question?

Second question is: why they would try to cross into Thai from Laos so close to the Triangle?. Myanmar/Thai border is heavily militarized, checkpoints all the way down in the Thai side, but the Laos/Myanmar border is not so controlled. Even US DEA's website says that they prefer to move it down through Laos then cross over into Thai (or perhaps Cambodia/Vietnam for overseas distribution). In the Isaan region the border is far less controlled, and there are few checkpoints on highways in Laos. From the distribution standpoint it seems like it would make a lot more sense to move it through the less militarized Laos country, then cross the Mekong in the southern part. I agree the whole thing seems suspicious; that's a lot of $'s worth of the nasty stuff, and it seems like a very reckless way to try to smuggle it. Smells fishy.

The person who claims that this or other ALS (amp.-like stimulants) should not be legalized - the law in effect serves as an economic barrier protecting the cartels. The large-scale dealers definitely do not want their product legalized, and neither do law enforcement or prison agencies. The most successful anti-heroin abuse program is in Switzerland, where the government took over the heroin trade, heroin dependents were given the stuff for free (and safely, no contamination issues). After a decade or so they cut down their dependency rates by over 80%, since users were treated as patients rather than criminals.

The Opium Trade ran thru Thailand for 1500 years. Indeed it was a legal trade item into the 1920's; when large US Drug Manufacturers paid off US Senators and Congressmen to criminalize it, so the US Police Forces would have something to do, after Prohibition was about to be cancelled. The USA, UK, France, Germany, Japan & Russia were all into the Chinese Opium Trade. They attacked China several times from 1840-1879. The Ferangs won the wars, due to armamnents technology. They forced the Chinese Govt to allow ferangs to sell Opium in China. HKG was founded on the backs of Chinese Opium Addicts. Jardine Matheson was one of the biggest British Hongs. See Wikipedia .. "With roots that can be traced back to the opium trade, today, Jardines is a Fortune Global 500 company[4] that consists of Jardine Pacific, Jardine Motors Group, Jardine Strategic, Dairy Farm, Hongkong Land, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, Jardine Cycle & Carriage and Astra International.[5][6][7] It also owns 42% of Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group and has an investment (21%) in Rothschilds Continuation Holdings, the merchant banking house.[3]

Interesting how Rothschilds aligned itself with former drug peddlers ... but then again ... bankers have always been very friendly with criminals like Al Capone, Bugsy Segal, Meyer Lansky, Mauel Noriega, Charlie North, Bernie Madoff, Claire Chenault , Air America ... and many more. The French Colonial Govt in Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia openly exported opium to European Criminal Drug Organizations from 1859 to the day they left Vietnam in 1954. Indeed, many local Vietnamese Museums display actual Opium Cakes stamped with the French Govt Seal , indicating that French Taxes had been paid on this bit of Opium.