Muslim Protests - Us Consulate - Wed Sept 19

Mestizo

A group of men drinking tea were loudly discussing the Great Satan, and the youngest member of the group made a point to address me and ask if I was bothered by the discussion. I wasn't, and said so, but I admit I tried to look Canadian.

Tried to look Canadian? Did you have a donut in your hand? biggrin.png

He asked for Maple syrup with his Roti. Then he went oot the door.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rather like the idea of going to Fortress America during the demonstration and placing flowers in honor of the slain State Dept. officials. Great "statement" floral arrangements are available at a good price in the neighborhood.

But, they probably don't want counter-demonstrations, do they?

• Like 1

I'm so glad I set my appointment for Thursday! Gotta get that letter on time.

I ate across the soi from the mosque tonight, and detected no tension. I was there just before things blew up in Benghazi, and it was a different story. A group of men drinking tea were loudly discussing the Great Satan, and the youngest member of the group made a point to address me and ask if I was bothered by the discussion.

I wasn't, and said so, but I admit I tried to look Canadian.

I tried looking Canadian for about 6 years ("the Bush years") while living in Europe. I had a Canadian flag on my day pack and said "eh?" a lot.smile.png

• Like 2

I'm so glad I set my appointment for Thursday! Gotta get that letter on time.

I ate across the soi from the mosque tonight, and detected no tension. I was there just before things blew up in Benghazi, and it was a different story. A group of men drinking tea were loudly discussing the Great Satan, and the youngest member of the group made a point to address me and ask if I was bothered by the discussion.

I wasn't, and said so, but I admit I tried to look Canadian.

I tried looking Canadian for about 6 years ("the Bush years") while living in Europe. I had a Canadian flag on my day pack and said "eh?" a lot.smile.png

Did you also start calling people "Hosers" and grow a Mullet?

LOL

I would wager that the vast majority of protesters around the globe have NOT seen the film. Any excuse to be angry about anything, WHICH l thought was against their written book. Sad really. sad.png

It is my understanding that few persons, if any , other than those who were involved in the making of the film, have seen the FILM. It has been reported that just a trailer for the film was what was posted on youtube and from this all the protest and trouble eminated.

I would wager that the vast majority of protesters around the globe have NOT seen the film. Any excuse to be angry about anything, WHICH l thought was against their written book. Sad really. sad.png

It is my understanding that few persons, if any , other than those who were involved in the making of the film, have seen the FILM. It has been reported that just a trailer for the film was what was posted on youtube and from this all the protest and trouble eminated.

Just Google "Innocence of Muslims" 76 minutes long.

Its almost 11AM.....any reports of protest activity at the consulate at this time ????

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming a post-lunch gathering. I plan to drop by the area and have a look around. If I miss them, it probably won't be the worst thing that could happen.

what a bloody palava, those bloody lot have nothing better to do than making busy roads busier!

boring !

Chances are they have not seen the movie either just typical mob mindless mentality. You need not form a opinion just listen to the person next to you who got the information the same way you got yours.

Sad. It all seems to indicate that international appreciations and understandings have some way to go. For example, those gathered at the U.S. consulate might not even be able to tell one falang from another.

Well, it's irrelevant whether they are Muslim fundamentalist terrorists or US citizens, as unless they booked an appointment 6 months in advance, they won't be getting in anyway.

That was below your usual posts I booked ahead two weeks and there wee lots of slots available. Are you even a American ?

I hope this view isn't too sensitive, but apologise if so.

Article written by Spanish hack:

We killed six million Jews and replaced them with 20 million Muslims. In Auschwitz we burned a culture, thought, creativity, and talent. We destroyed the chosen people, truly chosen, because they produced great and wonderful people who changed the world.

The contribution of this people is felt in all areas of life: science, art, international trade, and above all, as the conscience of the world. These are the people we burned. And under the pretense of tolerance, and because we wanted to prove to ourselves that we were cured of the disease of racism, we opened our gates to 20 million Muslims, who brought us stupidity and ignorance, religious extremism and lack of tolerance, crime and poverty due to an unwillingness to work and support their families with pride.

They have turned our beautiful European cities into the third world, drowning in filth and crime. Shut up in the apartments they receive free from the government, they plan the murder and destruction of their naive hosts.

And thus, in our misery, we have exchanged culture for fanatical hatred, creative skill for destructive skill, intelligence for backwardness and superstition.

We have exchanged the pursuit of peace of the Jews of Europe and their talent for hoping for a better future for their children, their determined clinging to life because life is holy, for those who pursue death, for people consumed by the desire for death for themselves and others, for our children and theirs.

What a terrible mistake was made by miserable Europe.

In general terms how very true, but I wish not to tar everyone of the Muslim faith with the same brush; there are good and bad in every religion.

up the atheists,..best religion to follow!

• Like 2

Sooooo, back on topic.

Seemed to be a peaceful "protest" for once. Very small. Here are a couple pictures from Twitter. Looks like there were more "journalists" than actual protestors. Its probably also worth noting that US Amb Kenny is in town.

Note, these pics were not taken by me. Links to the original tweets below:

https://twitter.com/...252945139904512

https://twitter.com/...257284671680512

-Mestizo

post-16307-0-67637100-1348034121_thumb.j

post-16307-0-90639800-1348034131_thumb.j

CHIANG MAI

Security tightened as US envoy arrives to give lecture

30190696-01_big.jpg

Security in Chiang Mai was strengthened on Wednesday as Thai Muslims protested in front of US Consulate General Office in the province against a controversial US film and at the university where US Ambassador Kristie Kenney's is scheduled to lecture on the US election.

Hundreds of police were deployed at the Consulate office and at Chiang Mai University's Political Science faculty where Kenney is scheduled to arrive in the afternoon.

Today's demonstration followed a peaceful protest at the US Embassy in Bangkok against the US government over an anti-Islam film on Tuesday. About 400 Muslims gathered and waved placards reading "Destroy America!" A spokesman who claimed the demonstrators came from all over Thailand, said they did not want any violence.

The film; "Innocence of Muslim," is an amateurish production that was posted on the video-sharing website YouTube.

In Chiang Mai, about 20 Thai Muslims gathered in front of the office at 9.45am. They waved placards reading," we want to condemn the US for its supports in insulting our prophet." They said they wanted the producer of the film to be punished.

One of their leaders read a statement condemning all parties involved in the film. They also submitted the petition to Kenney through an embassy representative. Initially they argued because the US office would allow only one representative to enter the premises. The problem was settled when the office sent out a representative to receive the petition.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-19

Well, it's irrelevant whether they are Muslim fundamentalist terrorists or US citizens, as unless they booked an appointment 6 months in advance, they won't be getting in anyway.

That was below your usual posts I booked ahead two weeks and there wee lots of slots available. Are you even a American ?

Since when do you need to be American to book an appointment at the US embassy?

These vast generalizations about 'them' are disheartening. 'They' deliver a petition (here in CM and in Bkk) to complain about those who were parties to making the film and it leads to a huge load, a monstrous pile, of our biases and prejudices, virtually all copied from our mainstream ignorance of their most profound beliefs. No, I do not defend violence!

Basically, we don't understand why Muslims are outraged everywhere (as opposed to the violence). And Muslims cannot imagine why we don't understand that a nation is responsible for its citizens' publications regarding their Allah (because they cannot imagine such a thing, never having heard of it being allowed). I gather that our 'Christian' empire, together with our bookmates, are about to start a 'righteous' war against 'them' - or is my smeller turned off?

The issue is not us against them or them against us. The issue is that "they" as you put it are not able to understand that everyone in this world has the right to their own opinion and should have the right to speak their own opinion.

And a nation is not responsible for their citizens publications except in a police state. If you have to get permission to publish your opinion from your government then there is no freedom of expression. And you will find this to be true in only communist and muslim ruled countries. Thus opression of its citizens' freedoms. Go figure.

• Like 1

I hope this view isn't too sensitive, but apologise if so.

Article written by Spanish hack:

We killed six million Jews and replaced them with 20 million Muslims. In Auschwitz we burned a culture, thought, creativity, and talent. We destroyed the chosen people, truly chosen, because they produced great and wonderful people who changed the world.

The contribution of this people is felt in all areas of life: science, art, international trade, and above all, as the conscience of the world. These are the people we burned. And under the pretense of tolerance, and because we wanted to prove to ourselves that we were cured of the disease of racism, we opened our gates to 20 million Muslims, who brought us stupidity and ignorance, religious extremism and lack of tolerance, crime and poverty due to an unwillingness to work and support their families with pride.

They have turned our beautiful European cities into the third world, drowning in filth and crime. Shut up in the apartments they receive free from the government, they plan the murder and destruction of their naive hosts.

And thus, in our misery, we have exchanged culture for fanatical hatred, creative skill for destructive skill, intelligence for backwardness and superstition.

We have exchanged the pursuit of peace of the Jews of Europe and their talent for hoping for a better future for their children, their determined clinging to life because life is holy, for those who pursue death, for people consumed by the desire for death for themselves and others, for our children and theirs.

What a terrible mistake was made by miserable Europe.

In general terms how very true, but I wish not to tar everyone of the Muslim faith with the same brush; there are good and bad in every religion.

up the atheists,..best religion to follow!

I agree with every ting you say.

The really sad part is they at one time were a people who gave a lot to civilization. Now they seek to destroy it.

Since when do you need to be American to book an appointment at the US embassy?

A couple of years here not sure of how long. I have been here six years and the last two years had to book one. The year before I went in and found out I was supposed to but they took me any way. Prior to that I had just gone in and got in line

I am talking about the US consulate. i have no idea of what the procedure is in the U S Embassy other than the fact you have to be in Bangkok to get in to it.

I don't think you have to be a American citizen to book a appointment at either one. But if you are not why would you want to go to one. On second thought you would to get a visa. Lucky it is America and not Canada. The Canadian consulate here in Chiang Mai will not issue you one you must go to the Embassy in Bangkok. And I have no idea of what the procedure there is.

My point is that here in Chiang Mai you do not have to book months in advance. The last two years i have done it two weeks in advance not because I had to they had openings but it was times that suited me. The most recent one was three weeks ago and there was about 6 open slots for the day I chose. That is why I asked if he was a American. Wanted to know if he had used it or was just slamming America. I as a U S citizen agree there is a lot to slam them for but that is not one of them.

Edited by hellodolly

Believe you must be an American citizen to make an appointment. The appointment system is for American citizen services. You will need your passport. The visa service for non-US citizens is scheduled on different days at set times. They may alow appointments for those days, but if they do, I am not aware of it.

Edited by Lifer