Visa Decision For Us

My girlfriend is from Thailand. She went to the US embassy yesterday to apply for a VISA to the US. I am not sure what kind of VISA she applied for, but she told me that she was not sure if they approved it. At first they were going to give her a multiple entry and then she thought they were going to give her a single entry.

I am not sure of all the details, because she didn't answer all my questions that I asked her. She was there for 7 hrs so I did not pry for all the information. When I did ask she did tell me that they still have her passport. She said that she would have to wait till she receives a response by mail. Does that information sound accurate?

Honestly depends on what visa it is (tourist, fiancee, spouse, etc.). She will receive answer in the mail. Since you didn't mention you are married or engaged, I am assuming it is just a tourist visa she applied for. Did she mention being in a relationship with a US citizen? It may be a problem.

I will give an example, I have a friend whose cousin is from Poland. She had already had a tourist visa to the USA. She had already been to the US, met an American citizen, fell in love, planned to get married (eventually did get married). She came back on the tourist visa to see her boyfriend/get married. While attempting to enter the USA from the airport, the immigration people asked what was the purpose of the visit. Her response: I want to get married to my boyfriend. Immigration's response: they literally put her on the next plane back to Poland and made her come back on a fiancee visa.

Honestly depends on what visa it is (tourist, fiancee, spouse, etc.). She will receive answer in the mail. Since you didn't mention you are married or engaged, I am assuming it is just a tourist visa she applied for. Did she mention being in a relationship with a US citizen? It may be a problem.

I will give an example, I have a friend whose cousin is from Poland. She had already had a tourist visa to the USA. She had already been to the US, met an American citizen, fell in love, planned to get married (eventually did get married). She came back on the tourist visa to see her boyfriend/get married. While attempting to enter the USA from the airport, the immigration people asked what was the purpose of the visit. Her response: I want to get married to my boyfriend. Immigration's response: they literally put her on the next plane back to Poland and made her come back on a fiancee visa.

Thanks for the reply. She mentioned that she wanted to go for work. We both work for the same company and have locations in both places. I have just met her on my last trip to Thailand.

She was applying for a tourist visa I presume. She told me that she did not mention me at all in the interview. I am really unsure of the process, that is why I am trying to get as much info as possible. At the same time I am not trying to ask her too many questions to lead her to believe that I don't think she knows what she is doing.

Hmmm...I sincerely hope it was not a tourist visa though. And apologies if I am the bearer of bad news, but if you apply for a tourist visa, you have to genuninely be a tourist. What the US is afraid of is that people come on a tourist visa or either get married or work. That's what they are screening for. It's not that someone can't come to the USA for marriage or work, but they have to apply for the appropriate visa. Coming to the US on false pretenses is something the US of A really really does not like.

Hmmm...I sincerely hope it was not a tourist visa though. And apologies if I am the bearer of bad news, but if you apply for a tourist visa, you have to genuninely be a tourist. What the US is afraid of is that people come on a tourist visa or either get married or work. That's what they are screening for. It's not that someone can't come to the USA for marriage or work, but they have to apply for the appropriate visa. Coming to the US on false pretenses is something the US of A really really does not like.

I do not know what she applied for. I will find out soon. Thanks for your responses.

I think this whole story sounds suspect. One does not simply saunter up to the counter for avisa nor does the rmbasdy have 7 hours to devote to ones case. If you were mentioned that could be an issue for her for a tourist visa and she would have to havesome connection for work visa.

Were you listed or notedon her paperwork? Shedid the app herself??

Has this escapade cost you anything?

Edited by bangkokburning

I think this whole story sounds suspect. One does not simply saunter up to the counter for avisa nor does the rmbasdy have 7 hours to devote to ones case. If you were mentioned that could be an issue for her for a tourist visa and she would have to havesome connection for work visa.

Were you listed or notedon her paperwork? Shedid the app herself??

Has this escapade cost you anything?

She had an appointment yesterday. She was not allowed to leave after her interview due to all the protestors outside the US embassy in Bangkok. She does have a work connection. We work for the same company and she wants to come visit our facility. Added benefit would of course to see me.

I was not listed on the paperwork. That is what her coworkers advised her to do. And I did not pay a dime for any of this.

I undertand your schepticizm, but I am not a naive person. I am not worried about her character, as she has not given me any reason to. I just wanted information (with the limited amount I gave on here) as to what I should expect.

OK OP what you said in your last post made me feel better. The USA hates people coming to permanently stay in the US on tourist visas. If the visa is being sponsored by a company that is much much better. The US does allow foreigners to work in the USA temporarily, and they are relatively more relaxed about giving those out. If she is employed in a foreign branch of a company that operates in the US it could be an "L intracompany transfer" visa, could be an H1-B visa for specialty occupations, an H-3 trainee visa, etc.

If it's employment based sponsored by a company operating in the USA then you have a very good chance of it being granted. Actually it will most likely be granted unless there's something fishy in her background (like criminal record, she's on a terrorist list, etc.)

OK OP what you said in your last post made me feel better. The USA hates people coming to permanently stay in the US on tourist visas. If the visa is being sponsored by a company that is much much better. The US does allow foreigners to work in the USA temporarily, and they are relatively more relaxed about giving those out. If she is employed in a foreign branch of a company that operates in the US it could be an "L intracompany transfer" visa, could be an H1-B visa for specialty occupations, an H-3 trainee visa, etc.

If it's employment based sponsored by a company operating in the USA then you have a very good chance of it being granted. Actually it will most likely be granted unless there's something fishy in her background (like criminal record, she's on a terrorist list, etc.)

Thanks for your replies. I didn't give all the details at first because I didn't know and I didn't want it to be super confusing. I will find out what happens and post it when she receives a response.

My wife applied for a tourist visa to the US three years ago. She speaks excellent English, has been a teacher in Thailand for 25 years and had a letter from the Thai government verifying her current employment and giving her permission to travel. The embassy asshol_e that interviewed her did not even look at her application or file. He spent two minutes with her, then told her the tourist visa was denied. Since she was married to an American, the appropriate visas, he said, was a K-1.

She wouldn't live in the US for all the tea in China. She just wanted to visit once. Now she doesn't. And neither do I. fuc_k the US.

USA immigration is very strict about visa applications. If one applies for a tourist visa and does not support the application with sufficient evidence they are actual tourist and will return to Thailand, the application will be denied and the person may be forbidden to apply for any type of visa for years into the future. I speak from experiences a US citizen with Thai family members that applied for a tourist visa then mentioned our relationship. She was denied a visa and forbidden to apply for ten years. My efforts to assist her only complicated matters.

My wife applied for a tourist visa to the US three years ago. She speaks excellent English, has been a teacher in Thailand for 25 years and had a letter from the Thai government verifying her current employment and giving her permission to travel. The embassy asshol_e that interviewed her did not even look at her application or file. He spent two minutes with her, then told her the tourist visa was denied. Since she was married to an American, the appropriate visas, he said, was a K-1.

She wouldn't live in the US for all the tea in China. She just wanted to visit once. Now she doesn't. And neither do I. fuc_k the US.

I am not a huge world traveler but every time i come back to the US from travelling abroad I say exacty what you said in the last sentence. Land of opportunity my a$$. I am trying to move to thailand in maybe a year or two. In the meantime i would like her to at least be able to come and visit me. The US immigration policies seem so backwards and strict. I think It may be easier for her to visit communist countries. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

-End of rant

Why didn't you just apply for the visa they recommended?

I've have experience only very professional and excellent service on every occasion from American Immigration (in contrast to the rude Thai immigration). If you are trying something deceptive, like applying for a temporary or non-immigrant visa category but give the impression you're planning a permanent move than I can understand they will reject your application. Advice is know beforehand what is the correct visa that applies to you

Edited by Time Traveller

Should have just done it simply without all the vacation/work shernenigans and keeping you a secret complication. The people at the embassy are no fools, they will look for signs; body language. So she has to be sure and firm with her answers.

Just apply for a tourist visa. Show her bank account, show a letter of employment, show property/assets. Basically show anything that will convince the embassy of her ties to Thailand and that she will return to Thailand when the trip is over.

Also no need to keep you a secret. You can write an invitation letter in which you can state your relationship as a friend (don't even have to say BF) and you will look after her during her stay.. accom, food, travel etc. Provide an itinerary, your employment letter and maybe your bank account.

Edited by mmushr00m

My wife applied for a tourist visa to the US three years ago. She speaks excellent English, has been a teacher in Thailand for 25 years and had a letter from the Thai government verifying her current employment and giving her permission to travel. The embassy asshol_e that interviewed her did not even look at her application or file. He spent two minutes with her, then told her the tourist visa was denied. Since she was married to an American, the appropriate visas, he said, was a K-1. She wouldn't live in the US for all the tea in China. She just wanted to visit once. Now she doesn't. And neither do I. fuc_k the US.
One should never assume what one is reading on a forum is necessarily true and this is a case in point.A K-1 visa is for a fiance/ee who intends to travel to the US to marry their US partner within 90 days of arrival. Quite why the visa officer would tell a Thai woman already married to a US citizen to do this is really quite incomprehensible, particualrly when neither she nor her American husband have indicated an intention to settle there. Unless of course, there has been no wedding except for a custom ceremony in the boonies in which case there may have been merit to the officer's doubts. Edited by Seekingasylum
  • Like 1

So she was granted a 90 day R Visa B1/B2 (forgive me if I am stating this incorrectly...this is what is on the visa fields). This allows her one entry and is only valid until Dec 17. I understand this to mean that she has to enter and leave the country by Dec 17. is this correct? The intent of her applying was to come and visit for a week around christmas. It does not look like she will be able to do this with that visa to me.

So she was granted a 90 day R Visa B1/B2 (forgive me if I am stating this incorrectly...this is what is on the visa fields). This allows her one entry and is only valid until Dec 17. I understand this to mean that she has to enter and leave the country by Dec 17. is this correct? The intent of her applying was to come and visit for a week around christmas. It does not look like she will be able to do this with that visa to me.

No, incorrect. It means that she has until December 17, 2012 to enter the United States. Whatever day that it is that she enters on, she may remain in the United States 90 days from thereon. So if she enteres December 16, 2012, she can stay until March 16, 2012 (whatever 90 days is).

In regards to the other posts made here by other posters, it needs to be understand that the U.S. immigration system is tough. They're going to check and double check everything to make sure someone is actually a tourist before granting a tourist visa. :) That's to prevent people from taking up residence in the United States. And if they think you are trying to pull something by applying for a tourist visa when you aren't a tourist, yes they will ban you from the United States.

The K1 visa thing is not a good replacement when all you really want is a tourist visa. The reason I say that is that on a K1 fiancee you have to be married within 90 days. Well, that's not so bad you say...BUT once you enter, you have to continuously remain in the United States to get permanent residency. And once you get permanent residency you have to remain in the United States to keep your permanent residency or else you loose it. That's the problem with those visas is that you have to stay, and you can't just leave, which is what you do on a tourist visa.

OK...so I read the information on the US immigration website and here is how I understand it.

She was granted a one time (single entry) 90 day visa (B1/B2) good for business and tourism.

The requirement is that she enter the US within 90 days of the visa being issued. Once allowed to enter (up to US customs) she is only allowed to stay as long as the I94 form states.

This is what the website states:

My visa will expire while I am in the United States. Is there a problem with that?

No. If the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer at the port of entry (generally an airport) admitted you into the United States for a specific period of time, s/he will note your authorized period of stay on your I-94 card, called an Arrival Departure Record. You will be able to remain in the United States during your authorized period of stay, even if your visa expires during the time you are in the United States. Since Form I-94 documents your authorized stay and is the official record of your permission to be in the U.S., it is very important to keep inside your passport.

Yes. This is what I was saying. The visa was issued what, September 17 (or abouts). That gives her 90 days to use the visa. So Sept to Oct, Oct to Nov, November to December. The Visa is simply permission to enter. So she has until December 17 to use it. Once she enters, it is good for remaining in the US of A for 90 days after arrival (even if the visa expires). Keep the I-94. So...she has enough time for you two to visit.

No, incorrect. It means that she has until December 17, 2012 to enter the United States. Whatever day that it is that she enters on, she may remain in the United States 90 days from thereon. So if she enteres December 16, 2012, she can stay until March 16, 2012 (whatever 90 days is).

In regards to the other posts made here by other posters, it needs to be understand that the U.S. immigration system is tough. They're going to check and double check everything to make sure someone is actually a tourist before granting a tourist visa. smile.png That's to prevent people from taking up residence in the United States. And if they think you are trying to pull something by applying for a tourist visa when you aren't a tourist, yes they will ban you from the United States.

The K1 visa thing is not a good replacement when all you really want is a tourist visa. The reason I say that is that on a K1 fiancee you have to be married within 90 days. Well, that's not so bad you say...BUT once you enter, you have to continuously remain in the United States to get permanent residency. And once you get permanent residency you have to remain in the United States to keep your permanent residency or else you loose it. That's the problem with those visas is that you have to stay, and you can't just leave, which is what you do on a tourist visa.

^^Good post.

I am amazed at how many times I read or hear about someone being denied a visa. But, when you start asking questions, it isn’t long before you find out they applied for the wrong visa, tried to hide something, or worse yet….lied. What worked for your friend may not be the right way to do it, which is also a big problem with many being denied.

Start the application well in advance of the planned visit.

Be organized.

Be honest from start to finish.

Triple check your application, and then check it again.

Be on time.

Dress business casual. (I waited outside for about 3 hours, and I still can't believe my own eyes at the way some of these girls were dressed)

BE HONEST.

There are not any tough or trick questions if you are honest from the start.wai.gif

• Like 1

As far as how long she can stay, it is totally up to the CBP officer upon arrival. He can give her a stamp for 30 days, 90 days, what ever. The date on the visa itself it how long she has to to enter.

That is what I was trying to tell her. But she is convinced that if she comes back to Thailand after her visa is expired (date on visa) that she will be blacklisted. So to avoid any confusion I just got a ticket for next week to come out here to the US. Problem solved (I hope).