Yingluck Pressures Bangkok Administration For Answers: Floods

webfact

I thought last year yingluck goverment said there will be no flood in bangkok in 2012 ? am i right ? and why is this happening now ?

It's happening now, because the Governor of Bangkok did not do his job and clear the canals and drains of rubbish, (his area of responsability). He is trying to get out of the S**t by stating that it is not his job and that it is the job of the BMA.

It is indeed the job of BMA.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the government has been made to look impotent in water management once again in Sukhotai, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani etc. They attempt to drag the BMA into their failings

Agreed. As I have continually said, she was always destined to be proven wrong in her boasts about being in control of the water management systems in Thailand, and now that this has come to pass, she is frantically looking for a scapegoat!

I get rather confused.

They often talk about rain and run-off, saying they can handle rain not run-off. If you did not get rain you would not have run-off.

Where does this run-off come from if not from rain?

I definitely have to take the Goverors side on this one. If we're talking about not repeating the floods of last year that is entirely up to Central Government and there is nothing the BMA can do about it.

The floods last year were caused by an unprecedented volume of water flowing down the Chao Phraya river which in turn met with high tides at the sea. Bangkok's flood walls are 2.5M above sea level so if the river is higher than that the water will come in. As for the slow moving tsunami of water that encroached Bangkok from provinces north, that water also originally came from the Chao Phraya river. And once it is there, with the river level being at the height it was, there is nowhere to pump it to except adjacent provinces because Bangkok has no coastline.

The root cause of this problem is mismanagement of the upstream dams. Thailand's central provices need water for agriculture and the dams need to be kept as full as possible to meet demand in the dry season so every year in the latter part of the rainy season it is going to be a gamble as to how much spare capacity is left in those dams for rainfall that may or may not come. Last year whomever made those decisions got it wrong hence catastrophic floods. In fact, it almost happened in 2010 but no one seems to remember that now.

Let's remember that last year by the time the floods reached Bangkok, it had already stopped raining.

PM Yingluck needs to face the facts. She can't manage her position and blaming others will not work. Why doesn't the press ask her why the other province are flooding and why all the money and projects her cabinet approved have failed? "A fish stinks from the head." ermm.gif

I definitely have to take the Goverors side on this one. If we're talking about not repeating the floods of last year that is entirely up to Central Government and there is nothing the BMA can do about it.

The floods last year were caused by an unprecedented volume of water flowing down the Chao Phraya river which in turn met with high tides at the sea. Bangkok's flood walls are 2.5M above sea level so if the river is higher than that the water will come in. As for the slow moving tsunami of water that encroached Bangkok from provinces north, that water also originally came from the Chao Phraya river. And once it is there, with the river level being at the height it was, there is nowhere to pump it to except adjacent provinces because Bangkok has no coastline.

The root cause of this problem is mismanagement of the upstream dams. Thailand's central provices need water for agriculture and the dams need to be kept as full as possible to meet demand in the dry season so every year in the latter part of the rainy season it is going to be a gamble as to how much spare capacity is left in those dams for rainfall that may or may not come. Last year whomever made those decisions got it wrong hence catastrophic floods. In fact, it almost happened in 2010 but no one seems to remember that now.

Let's remember that last year by the time the floods reached Bangkok, it had already stopped raining.

The whole plan is based upon acceptably flooding the middle of the country and keeping downtown bangkok dry. Unfortunately, last year was way above average and managed badly.

That doesnt mean that impriving bangkoks system doesnt help everything go quicker. Problem is, to change it all now will cost billions. If they plan to reduce flooding north of bangkok, the walls in Bangkok need to be much much higher.

Yingluck is a joke of a PM. She tries to take the glory saying its not going to flood then blames the BMA when it is pretty clear it's going to. Yingluck needs to act like a leader and take responsibility maybe then she would at least get some respect. Plan your vacations now because when November comes I won't be trusting the water pushers lol I will be on a flood induced vacation☀☀☀

Edited by inthefareast

The whole plan is based upon acceptably flooding the middle of the country and keeping downtown bangkok dry. Unfortunately, last year was way above average and managed badly.

Was total rainfall really "way above average" last year? I agree that's the usual assumption but I have never seen any reliable statistics about that. I suspect that if compared to 2010, there wasn't much difference. But we're not likely to hear that from the government.

Was total rainfall really "way above average" last year? I agree that's the usual assumption but I have never seen any reliable statistics about that. I suspect that if compared to 2010, there wasn't much difference. But we're not likely to hear that from the government.

50% from about May onwards for the north. Everyonr sat on their hands on the run up to the election and the rest was history as they say.

This year is less than last but still maybe 30% above the average. Lets hope tge planning and water pushers achieve something.

Better Yingluck PRESSURE and turn up the HEAT on the seasonal weather patterns...take the clouds to court; what an idiot.

The government had months and months and months and years to prepare a uniform plan of action.

coffee1.gif LETEM TAKE the climate and the seasonal weather patterns to the United Nations!coffee1.gif

The P.M. always questions others far too late, This is a Thai trend. She actually should be questioning herself about her control of all situations, Ministers under her should be dealing with any given situation, and report to her on progress. If the said P.M. finds out from other persons that would prove she hasn't got her ministers working properly. They should be given inactive posts.

Thailand---this IS the monsoon season, there will be torrential downpours at any given moment. ONE year on and "we are getting an awful lot of rain" the silly sods.

If the same thing happens again this year, the country will be bankrupt in having to pay out monies for flood damage. D.M. airport BKK Air Asia will be a little dissappointed, Ayuttaya area- car and electronics to name a few. A decent government should NOW be running about like blue arsed flies in panic at the lack planning.

Water is overflowing everywhere and it's only September for heavens sake. The entire goverment should flee the scene-(IF THEY CANNOT DEAL WITH THE SITU PROPERLY)

You make good points - except that Yngluck isn't really a PM, has no interest or ability in being one, and simply says what she's told to. Someone thought it a good idea to start paving the way for a bit of future blaming. It will all be the BMA's fault this year, scuppering all the excellent flood protection work carried out by Yingluck's efficient and effective government for the bargain price of THB120 Billion.

The Prime Minister makes a reasonable comment, the BMA give an intelligent and truthful reply and the TVF "experts" are onto her like a rat pack in a sewer.

Love it.

Reasonable comment? "We have never known the actual capacity of the tunnels," said Yingluck"

This gives an indication that the govt doesn't even have any idea what it's doing?

Surely someone somewhere in Thailand is considered the countries leading expert and is leading a group of experts to assess various data and information (such as this) and develop a countrywide plan?

Piss-ups and breweries

The Prime Minister makes a reasonable comment, the BMA give an intelligent and truthful reply and the TVF "experts" are onto her like a rat pack in a sewer.

Love it.

Except she is reading a comment rather than having an understanding that would enable her to make a coherent judgement. She's had a year of avoiding anything to do with acting like a PM, so why is it different now?

Next she'll be entering an unscripted debate with the Opposition

The Govt has made the promises so why now blame the BMA? This PM is looking more and more like the puppet we know she is - I bet she took direct 'political' instruction from Dubai on this on how to 'pass-the-buck'. Noted also the people IN the Govt are not making any statements at this point simply because the money spent has not been able to justify the costs. That may open a can of worms.

Easy to answer

Gov't cannot accept blame, that would mean saying sorry and answering

questions regarding their total and utter failure. That equals losing face

and we cannot have that in Thailand

Easier to blame someone else when you are wring

They sure as heck will never ay sorry

The "Plod's" been sayin' it for everyone.

I thought last year yingluck goverment said there will be no flood in bangkok in 2012 ? am i right ? and why is this happening now ?

Yes and their real leader in Dubai said they would all be rich in 6 months. I have no idea how many hundreds of billions of baht have changed hands in the flood prevention this year. So far the only thing to show for it was a successful 4 hour test under controlled conditions on one waterway. Take notice I said changed hands not were spent on. Two widely different things.

If I was Yingluck I guess I would be attacking Bangkok to take the focus off of the mess she has created.

Yes and their real leader in Dubai said they would all be rich in 6 months. I have no idea how many hundreds of billions of baht have changed hands in the flood prevention this year. So far the only thing to show for it was a successful 4 hour test under controlled conditions on one waterway. Take notice I said changed hands not were spent on. Two widely different things.

If I was Yingluck I guess I would be attacking Bangkok to take the focus off of the mess she has created.

As far as people like you are concerned, she did.

With some success judging by the panic generated.

Why doesn't the public pressure the Yingluck administration for answers over the Sukhotai, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani floods?

She would have to turn up and do her job in order for that to happen wink.png

Because they are too busy disagreeing with the independent TRCT report.

Plus, they can line their pockets again with flood relief/control money that never gets spent on flood relief measures.

Remember; Prices aren't rising?

Nor is the water. It's just a product of your imagination.

Here comes Zimbabwe/ Nazi Germany.

Yes and their real leader in Dubai said they would all be rich in 6 months. I have no idea how many hundreds of billions of baht have changed hands in the flood prevention this year.

nearly Half A Trillion Baht...

The Anti-Corruption Network is calling on the government to look into the water-management projects in Chiang Mai and Ayutthaya, after it received information about certain officials benefiting from them.

Pramon Sutivong, the network's Chairman, said the case had been passed on to the National Anti-Corruption Commission for further investigation.

He added that the government should provide clear information on how the Bt120 billion earmarked for water management and the Bt370 billion allocated for water-prevention measures is being spent.

Lots of TV members seems to hate the PT government. Most r not Thais anyways. Can't understand the mentality?

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

I can't understand the mentality that takes dislike for crooked politicians and there are lots of them and turns it in to hatred. What a narrow world some people live in.

I get rather confused.

They often talk about rain and run-off, saying they can handle rain not run-off. If you did not get rain you would not have run-off.

Where does this run-off come from if not from rain?

What they mean is, they can handle rain that falls directly on Bangkok, but they can't handle run off from rain that falls up country and flows down the rivers to Bangkok.

As far as people like you are concerned, she did.

With some success judging by the panic generated.

Glad to see you agree with me.