Original Or Copy Documents For Uk Visa ? The Definitive Answer ?

Below is an extract from an email, received today, from the UKBA at the British Embassy in Bangkok. It is definitive about the new requirements for documents accompanying visa applications. My query was mainly concerning the acceptability of internet bank statements. The UKBA have, in addition, mentioned the need for translating documents, and I will post that in a separate thread for ease of use.

Regarding documents, original documents and copies, and bank statements, the UKBA state :

“It has now been incorporated into the immigration rules that applicants must provide original documents. The Appendix FM – SE, does specify that any documentary evidence must be original unless otherwise stated. We would therefore expect the applicants to produce original documents with their applications, along with a full set of photocopies. Further details of these requirements may be found in paragraph 1 sections (h) and (j)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/appendix-fmse/

I appreciate that we have shown some flexibility on this in the past, but these conditions are now specified in the Immigration Rules rather than just guidelines. Where possible, we will defer applications to request further documents, but as I am sure you will appreciate this will add to delays in the processing of applications.

With regard to internet banking, we acknowledge the fact that original statements may not be produced and will accept the internet printouts especially if they are backed with other forms of original evidence such as employment contracts and wage slips.

Bank statements whether they be originals or internet printouts (when no originals are produced) must be

(i) from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.

(ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.

(iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of:

(1) the applicant's partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or

(2) if the applicant is a child the applicant parent's partner, the applicant's parent or both as appropriate; or

(3) if the applicant is an adult dependent relative, the applicant's sponsor or the applicant,

unless otherwise stated.

……………………………….. as the immigration rules now specify that original documents and translations are required we will be expecting visa applications to comply with these criteria.”

Paragraph 1 section (h), referred to above, states :

(h) All documentary evidence must be original, unless otherwise stated.

I would be very grateful to learn of any instances where the UKBA has either insisted on these new requirements ( either refused or deferred an application), or when an application has succeeded when the requirements haven’t been followed strictly to the letter.

im slightly confused

im sponsoring my g/fs visit, hopefully doing the online app this weekend.

i know that she needs originals and photocopys of her land/home papers, passport etc.

but the folder of supporting documents that im sending for her, does that need to be photocopied aswell? so i'll be sending over 2 folders?

i know that she needs originals and photocopys of her land/home papers, passport etc.

but the folder of supporting documents that im sending for her, does that need to be photocopied aswell? so i'll be sending over 2 folders?

The UKBA do advise you to submit original documentss and a photocopy, they go onto say that they MAY retain the originals if you do not supply copies.

For every document that you provide, you must include the original document and a photocopy. This includes a copy of your passport bio-data page (the page containing your photograph). Please ensure that the photocopies are of good quality and can be read easily. If you do not provide a photocopy of each document, we might not return your original documents to you.

"With regard to internet banking, we acknowledge the fact that original statements may not be produced and will accept the internet printouts especially if they are backed with other forms of original evidence such as employment contracts and wage slips."

Visa Plus, many thanks for this.

im slightly confused

I was under the impression that this was the case 18 months ago when I did the fiancee visa paperwork for my thai other half. Only one set of papers was submitted but I had printed two sets plus an additional set for the agent who handle the application - a mountain of paperwork In the end but better safe than sorry at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the above, I questioned the requirement to show either a mortgage statement or original Title Deeds as evidence of income from rental accommodation. Specifically, I asked :

"You have stated the UKBA's need to insist on the newly specified requirements, and you have stressed that you expect original documents to be provided where stated in Appendix FM-SE. Can I again refer you to my question in my earlier email concerning original Title Deeds ? The Appendix asks, in the case of evidencing rental income, for :

a) To evidence property rental income:

(i) Confirmation that the person or the person and their partner jointly own the property for which the rental income is received, through:

(1) The title deeds of the property; or

(2) A mortgage statement. "

The Embassy has replied ( on 25th September) stating :

"I can confirm that we will accept copies of Title Deeds and will not insist on the original documents. We will also accept downloaded versions of the title registrars from the Land Registry website.

Correspondence Unit

Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Laos

International Operations and Visas

UK Border Agency

British Embassy

14 Wireless Road

Bangkok

Thailand

10330"

It's pleasing to see that common sense is being applied.

• Like 1