True - Ly Amazing--- Not!

After a lot of looking into having to change dongles with CAT ceasing business at some point....

I opted to buy the TRUE 3 g (H) dongle... Speed was never any better than the CAT dongle, and the cost is more per month....

What they don't tell you at True, although it is probably in the "fine print" somewhere is you are limited to 5 Mb per month at the higher speed then it drops to a snails pace ... sad.pnga very slow snail...... at that.... (Although I am pretty certain I would have asked if unlimited use when I purchased)....

I just took the computer down to try it out at Tesco Chawang, just to see if was my location, but same same dead slow...

I then went to talk to the girls at True by the Tesco cashiers, and asked what the problem was... right away they said you've gone over 5 Mb this month...blink.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I have no idea how long 5 Mb is of computer internet time.... but I'm not a huge user most days... and certainly not downloading movies etc....

So a warning to anyone considering TRUE... unless you use the 'net" very rarely... don't even go there.... Also there is no option for more Mb per second or unlimited time....sad.pngblink.png

On the way out I stopped at 3BB, just to see what they have to offer.... last time I checked with them they said cannot install line to my house, now it seems they can....

Their plan is unlimited with various options to speed.... (with a wifi option of 650 baht extra) for one year... They require one year payment up front... that I do not mind, providing it is reliable....

ANY comments on 3BB on Samui, welcome!

Next door uses TOT, it's often down more than up..... so not an option...

Jimmy Hi. I am in the same boat now as I used to have the Cat CDMA. I always found it to be very reliable and quick enough for my needs even when downloading films. I also asked about the True 3G. The limit for the unlimited is 7GB and not 5MB. Even on 7GB it is only a couple of HD movies and then it drops to a crawl like you say. Anyone found a decent replacement for CDMA here on Samui ?

Jimmy Hi. I am in the same boat now as I used to have the Cat CDMA. I always found it to be very reliable and quick enough for my needs even when downloading films. I also asked about the True 3G. The limit for the unlimited is 7GB and not 5MB. Even on 7GB it is only a couple of HD movies and then it drops to a crawl like you say. Anyone found a decent replacement for CDMA here on Samui ?

No she said HA!!! I know "Ha" means five....wink.pngbiggrin.pngmay be she meant ha ha ha! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

But it depends on the person you get when it comes to correct information.... sad.png

I still have my CAT as they are still running they now say good till the end of October by reading all the OPs I hope that it will be October 2013 otherwise I will be in the same boat and my problem is that I am miles from a telephone line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 3BB at home in Plai Laem so I use it mostly at the weekands and in the evening. Have been using it for about 12 months now and it suffers from the usual up and down in streaming but generally I find it OK. I have the 6MB package at 631 Baht per month. I have the same package from TOT in Bangrak (3BB do not serve the Fishermans Village end of Bangrak) which is on all day serving 4 PC's and is definitely slower but then I suppose there is a lot of bandwidth usage during the day.

Thanks for the input everyone.... looks like 3BB might be worth a go.... I'll be right peeved if it turns out to be carp!

The reason I liked the dongle, when I travel to "remote areas" there is not always wifi.... CAT was good where ever I tried it! (except BKK)

Soon a True Dongle with Wifi will be available, if anyone interested PM me!

(me wonders if they will let me out of the "contract") .....

may be she meant ha ha ha! whistling.gifbiggrin.png .... yes exactly what I meant... she was laughing at me.... re Steelerian's post and my original post!

It now taking almost five minutes to load gmail and get anywhere.... it's just not acceptable! blink.pngw00t.gifsad.png

Hi Jimmy

I have both TOT (desktop back-up, cable connected) and 3BB (business laptop, wifi connected).

3BB is far more reliable and always faster - I have the 9xx baht per month option. As I type - to Bangkok ping 39 ms, download 11.5 mbps and upload 1.1 mbps

TOT (707 baht per month) ping 75 ms, download 3.7 mbps and upload .4 mbps. I think that this one is supposed to be 6 mbps package.

Both always slow down 4 pm to 7 pm.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Which dongle hopeless for daily use? I use mine daily and it's pretty darn good.... (CAT)

this is on the old WCDMA dongle, it has no limit but by the 31st september, the service will be discontinued and WCDMA dongle will be discarded, you'll have to buy another one and these prices will be applied : http://www.mybycat.c...p?id=14&sid=43.

on a personnal note, i have a DTAC contract for 300 baht 200 minutes+10%(customer bonus) to DTAC 200 minutes +10% to other networks and 20hours of internet(3G or edge without limit exept the time), this contract doesn't exist anymore since a year, being a good customer DTAC offered me to apply for an extension of one year wich i did.

the 23rd of july this contract will be finished and i had a look at all operators, all of them say illimited* but will cape the speed at 384kbps/second after 1/2/4 gig of data(depends on the package you choose), i even found AIS to be the worst (i was planning to change to AIS BUT...) http://www.ais.co.th..._Packages.aspx# they cappe the speed at 64kbps, this is written both in english and in thai so i don't think it's a mistake.

basically now that 3G is widespread because of the rates and limits, it is useless.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/568095-best-internet-provider-on-samui/

Sorry to hear that Jimmy

Just get 3bb in now you can, <deleted> to it. I've a spare wireless router you can have. If you have it when the installation is done the engineer will enter the settings for you FOC or take it to the 3bb desk if the install is done (along with your contract) and they will do it FOC.

Which dongle hopeless for daily use? I use mine daily and it's pretty darn good.... (CAT)

basically now that 3G is widespread because of the rates and limits, it is useless.....

http://www.thaivisa....vider-on-samui/

Sorry to hear that Jimmy

Just get 3bb in now you can, <deleted> to it. I've a spare wireless router you can have. If you have it when the installation is done the engineer will enter the settings for you FOC or take it to the 3bb desk if the install is done (along with your contract) and they will do it FOC.

That is extremely kind of you NMSTD!!

What is FOC?

I think I have been FOCked by True already! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I just posted this info, so others were warned not to get Focked by True tooooo... wink.png

As for Tropicalevo remark, I think the 4 to 7 pm slow speed is a world wide phenomena, kids getting home from Skool and tweeting their friends smile.png

I used a CAT dongle the other day, swapped it with a friend... still good, but perhaps (?) only for another month ?.. he's in the same boat as crazykopite, away from phone lines.....sad.png

I am not 100% sure if 3BB will bring a line up to me yet.... they will only send a "tech guy" up once you sign up.... blink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

I still have my CAT as they are still running they now say good till the end of October by reading all the OPs I hope that it will be October 2013 otherwise I will be in the same boat and my problem is that I am miles from a telephone line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont need a TOT telephone line for 3BB but i guess you would need to be near to a location that they serve, might be worth asking at the tesco office.

Running faster than a speeding bullet on 3BB...even off the wifi.... (just hope it stays that way! )

I signed up yesterday and efficiently hooked up by lunch today!!! smile.png

So the deal is they will run a line 300 metres from their box... They actually have these marked on Google maps... I guess for their own use. They seem to have boxes everywhere now... after checking with a few more neighbours I was surprised how many using 3BB and don't seem to have a problem with speed or much down time ...thumbsup.gif if over 300 metres they say 15 baht per metre extra... they did say they will give some leeway with that....

I signed up for the 13mb package... "Farang" have to pay one year in advance... which (as long as it works) that is fine with me.

Told True to go stick it, of course they stuck it to me and made me pay the difference in their "half price promotion" for the month of use... last time I ever use True.... bah.gif

Guess because they wifi box is included, (it's just one smallish box) .... I won't need a router .... but thanks NMSTD.... wink.png

Running faster than a speeding bullet on 3BB...even off the wifi.... (just hope it stays that way! )

So the deal is they will run a line 300 metres from their box... They actually have these marked on Google maps... I guess for their own use. They seem to have boxes everywhere now... after checking with a few more neighbours I was surprised how many using 3BB and don't seem to have a problem with speed or much down time ...thumbsup.gif if over 300 metres they say 15 baht per metre extra... they did say they will give some leeway with that....

I signed up for the 13mb package... "Farang" have to pay one year in advance... which (as long as it works) that is fine with me.

Told True to go stick it, of course they stuck it to me and made me pay the difference in their "half price promotion" for the month of use... last time I ever use True.... bah.gif

Guess because they wifi box is included, (it's just one smallish box) .... I won't need a router .... but thanks NMSTD.... wink.png

Great news

You should get a bill posted to you every month saying you don't have to pay anything. What a waste.

Great news

You should get a bill posted to you every month saying you don't have to pay anything. What a waste.

Yeah be interesting to see if they do send a bill every month... wink.png

CAT used to do that, keeps the postman busy though... same with the Makro flyer...biggrin.png

You'd think they would have online billing to save paper!....blink.png