Have You Picked Up Any “Thai” Traits?

Gone

Since moving to Thailand have you picked up any traits that you never would have done in your home country? Good or bad?

For me, I would have to say that since being in Thailand for 12 years I have:

1) I now waive taxis and staff down like a ferry would with my hands. Lmao

2) I’m much more open minded about gays or Ladyboys etc.

3) Yes I admit I have also driven badly like with no helmet, on sidewalks etc. Picked up some bad road habits.

4) Making loud hacking/Coughing sounds in the bathroom and hacking up oysters outside

5) Eating things I would not normally try back home (More open minded food wise now.) Not really a trait I guess.

6) Leaving my shoes outside my door

7) Having ALL my clothes ironed

8) I have NOT yet got to picking my nose in public.

Yes I know I’m opening myself up to the ridicule sharks. Just want to know what people do now that they never would have done before.

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I swear at people in Thai.

Oooooohhhhh, I know how to but that is actually a dangerous trait. One I would not recommend.

F-O Kwai.

I also learned how to walk around with my t-shirt pulled up to reveal my gut when it's hot out while swinging my arms wildly while walking in flip-flops. Haven't mastered the art of standing around doing nothing though for hours on end, or watching movies in the video store on the monitor in the shopping mall without sound, but I am working on it

Never understood that watching movie thing. Do they go there to WATCH a movie or shop? LOL

I now have learned how to walk through the crowded streets with my umbrella at others eye level.

I wear a motorcycle helmet but don't hook the strap.

I pick my nose everywhere while people watch.

I sneeze and wipe my snot in your food.

I go to the toilet and after wipe my fingers through my hair and then make

your food.

I rent jet skis and rip off all my customers.

I use percentages made up to make my stories more interesting.

I never pick up customers in my taxi...but I honk at all people walking the other direction because I'm a moron.

I've never tasted my food only the 13 chili's I add.

I love to go the wrong way on a one way street.

I never call the kettle black!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Without the Thai bashing that will naturally come along with this thread (light hearted or not)...

Time in Thailand has taught me to let many of the small things go, to know when I can and can't control something and when to push an issue and when not to... I suspect this is more of a hybrid trait that incorporates the best of both worlds, nonetheless this trait (or series of traits) is one one which Thailand has made a significant impact.

Nodding thanks.. Almost habitually I not to say thanks when someone gives way for me (i.e. crossing the rd etc).

Smiling more... Definitely a Thai trait of smiling more has helped on a daily basis.... (although you do look like a dick if you walk around as if you've slept with a coat hanger in your mouth - Don't over do the smile to the degree of looking like you've just had your first happy ending !...

You forgot 'have learnt to be tolerant of Taxi drivers'.

If a baht bus driver attempts to negotiate the fare after i exit the taxi, I just smile, hand him 10 baht and walk away without speaking to him.

If an expat in a bar decides he wants to tell me about everything that is wrong with Thailand. I smile, nod in agreement and make approval grunts occasionally

Edited by I Like Thai

Nodding thanks.. Almost habitually I nod to say thanks when someone gives way for me (i.e. crossing the rd etc).

Yes, I have picked this one too. When someone crosses my path and i give way or they give way (when walking) I give a polite nod.

...also in Australia most people stick to the left side of a footpath, in thailand its the right hand side (generally)

messes me up because i travel between the two countries often.

When I can't find something, looking in the most un-likely place and finding it.

Worst thing for going missing is socks. The servants seem to think that after one wearing they are used, and either throw them out or store them in a plastic bag in the kitchen. wacko.png

Well, I did ride my scooter to the hardware shop with no helmet today to buy some blue pipe and fittings, then rode back down the road on the wrong side of the road with the pipes sticking out the front jousting style.