Hi

I just contacted one of the IPStar suppliers in Roi Et

from the CS IPStar web site. He told my wife that we

would need a phone line in order for the Satellite to

work. Sounds fishy to me.

I thought that IPStar was all about internet access for

those people that are in remote areas and dont have

access to a phone. He said that tey are doing some sort

of promotion but failed to give details or prices.

Ive emailed [email protected] a couple of times and

they tell me that someone will contact me. But no one

has. They say that I need to fill in some forms but

they dont send anything. Grrrrrr

He's gone off to check our phone line ? Comments ?

Confused of Roi Et

From what I can glean from the CS Internet web site, there are two methods;

IpTV (which requires phone line to request web sites, with returning data coming via satellite) and Ipstar which (I believe) is direct satellite link both ways - without phone line?

Hope I'm right, 'cos like you, I intend to install Ipstar when I move to LoS in two months. Simply, I cannot get a phone line, despite having been on ToT list for over five years.

Please let me know when you have any more info?

Dah Farang is correct, IPTV needs a phone line for all outgoing datatraffic, incoming data arrives trough a small sattellite dish (size UBC).

With IPSTAR a bigger dish is installed which will handle both outgoing and incoming traffic, no phone required. It seems with CSLoxinfo, everything depends on your local agent. Over here in Chonburi we have a reasonable decent agent but upcountry seems to be a bigger problem. Strange since this is where their market is...

Once you can get hold of them and get everything properly installed, both systems work well. IPTV seems to be a little bit more reliable though...IPSTAR really has to be set up correctly. ###### is the expert on IPSTAR, unfortunately he is based all the way up north in Chiang Mai...

Your best bet on more info about IPSTAR is to PM ######...

Try Here and Here for a little more background.

With IPSTAR a bigger dish is installed

Just out of interest, I have the iPSTAR servie, and the dish is only 1.2m diameter, so in reality it is quite small, you can see it Here.

Your best bet on more info about IPSTAR is to PM ######...

couldn't agree more.

I just went along to one of the dealers in Roi Et, once we got there we cleared up the confusion. They still wanted to sell us IPTv fro some reason. Trying to tell my wife it was the better option. Then tried to sell her greater bandwidth.

WE have a very unreliable phone line so we dont want to use it !

Still installation is now 10k baht, light 1 was 3000 baht. VAT at 7%. so 13k baht to have it installed within a week. WE had to deal with Roi Et but they just put us on a phone to Bangkok CS Internet.

The installation guys are apparently coming out from Bangkok. Will add an update next week.

Guest IT Manager

I have just been instructed to do an install in Nong Khai. Details over the next few weeks. If you are ready for an install and they tell you you need a phone, you are talking to the wrong people. They don't know what satellite to look at. They are sales staff.

I am planning to use one of the techs from Chiang Mai to do the upcoming install because I know them.

I am doing one with Serge tomorrow. I will ask him to feed back to the forum.

BTW the Roi Et people aren't the only "suppliers" who want to look at IpTV bird as being the same for IpSTAR. It isn't. It's the UBC bird.

PM me for a detailed run down of what you need and costs for me to come down and supervise the install.

Tukyleiths system has been offline for 8 minutes in the last 3 weeks.

IT

IT

FYI

My better half tells me that we suffered a power failure the other day that exceeded the UPS life, by about 5 minutes.

The power came on and everything booted up again no problems, well except for the pc, she didn't know how to turn it back on but after explaining it is that silver coloured thing at the top she was away again :D

To those interested in this thread, I am not IT posting under a different name :o although it could seem that way. The truth is I am really happy with what he did for me and hate to sit back to watch other people settle for salespeople helping them rather than an engineer. This is why I have no problem recommending him to others, even if it is just for a chat and some advice.

Overall the iPSTAR system, the starmaster pc and the installation carried out by IT was very successful.

The night spent at the beer garden was a roaring success too, getting home is a bit vague though... :D

Guest IT Manager

Not surprised Tukyleith. I don't remember going to bed.

Seriously though, thanks for the positive feedback. This is really where I want to concentrate my energies, making IpSTAR as good as it can be, in spite of the owners.

OK - I now have IPStar and boy does it beat CS Loxinfo cards. I received a phone call last night to say that they were coming today at 10 am. Bang on time they arrived.

The dish has been installed on a 3m pole. They set it all up inside of two hours and supplied me with cable incase I need to move it to another room. Provided some light training on the wiring and configuration.

Great !!

######

I am having a problem in Pattaya at the agents near foodland,I have been four times,the last time 1/2 hour ago,and all I get is "engineer not here" although he has been out to my house.I cannot get a report as to weather they can fit to the house how I want.The lady always promises to call and never does.

I will just have to keep trying,but it is frustrating.

Hi Bartender,

I have had two installations(one IPTV and one IPSTAR) done by by the Pattaya agent, wich basically went without a hitch.

I guess they're getting a little bit the victim of the success of these systems. As far as I know they only have one guy who has a basic grasp of how everything should work, and it seems he's working his ass off right now. As the experiences of ITM are anything to go by, this guy probably isn't getting much support from the headoffice as well ! I'm not sure about your question concerning the installation since there are only two factors important in making the installation possible :

1) Clear view of the sattelite and 2) a solid base to put the dish on.(the IPSTAR dish is bigger, heavier and catches a lot more wind then the UBC dishes!!!)

In my cases they installed within 10 days after I ordered (and payed).

Up until now I'm still happy with the service level, I just upgraded one of my packages, just dropped by at the agent, ordered and everything worked out...

Hi Phazey,

I've installed a couple dishes (mainly digital Television) just by using a compass and the signal strength meter built in in your receiver... You point your dish in the general direction and elevation, power up your receiver and while monitoring signal strength you fine tune your dish position for maximum reception...

Works for UBC as well as IPTV, have no clue for IPSTAR since up till now I haven't found any signal strength meter on my pc. Anyway, things like that are better left to the pro's for several reasons, safety of installation springs to mind...

Guest IT Manager
######

I am having a problem in Pattaya at the agents near foodland,I have been four times,the last time 1/2 hour ago,and all I get is "engineer not here" although he has been out to my house.I cannot get a report as to weather they can fit to the house how I want.The lady always promises to call and never does.

I will just have to keep trying,but it is frustrating.

Contact Khun Gung at Wattana Computers. Telephone 038-421786.

Guest IT Manager
ITM:

What equipment do you use to point the dishes ?

Just curious

./P

Hi Phazey, to point the dishes, we use arms, legs and a 12 mm spanner.

To focus we use the setup program installed on a laptop beside the dish. Should have taken a pic of yesterdays effort.

Took 4 hours to locate the signal from Thaicom 1, to establish the first IpSTAR connection on that. I believe Thaicom 3 has a space problem (as in not enough transponders). It was the longest install to date at over 8 hours, but has been tentatively accepted by Shin Sat and is working well. The ES No is low at around 8.8 but under heavy cloud yesterday it was OK. Will recheck on Monday to ensure it is holding.

IT

I am now sorted out,the engineer came this morning,and we worked out how to get around the no drilling rule the house owners have,been down and paid,and will be installed next week.Can't wait to be back on-line.

I think it will be a long time before broadband is widely avaiable in other than central areas.

Well some of the internet cafe's near nam Pu seem to be using either satellite or cable because their internet was FAST .. why dont you go in there .. use a machine and then ask them ?

I mean the cafe on the corner when walking away from Nam Pu there is an italian restuarant on your left. The Cafe I mean is on the right hand side on the first road junction.

To focus we use the setup program installed on a laptop beside the dish. Should have taken a pic of yesterdays effort.

Took 4 hours to locate the signal from Thaicom 1, to establish the first IpSTAR connection on that. I believe Thaicom 3 has a space problem (as in not enough transponders). It was the longest install to date at over 8 hours, but has been tentatively accepted by Shin Sat and is working well. The ES No is low at around 8.8 but under heavy cloud yesterday it was OK. Will recheck on Monday to ensure it is holding.

IT

ITM matey,

If you do this all the time, get a little sat TV signal strength meter ($300), it'll line you up pretty well in no time, saying that - for the perfect lineup a spectrum analyser is your friend, $$$'s tho.

It's been a while since i tinkered with a ipstar LNA, but from my HNS vsats, if you plug in a little multimeter - you can get a good lineup by getting the signal *under* 3Volts....the lower the better..dunno if this sticks with the ipstar setup - i'll ask tomorrow.

I hope you got the polarization right :o

./P

Guest IT Manager

IT

ITM matey,

If you do this all the time, get a little sat TV signal strength meter ($300), it'll line you up pretty well in no time, saying that - for the perfect lineup a spectrum analyser is your friend, $$$'s tho.

It's been a while since i tinkered with a ipstar LNA, but from my HNS vsats, if you plug in a little multimeter - you can get a good lineup by getting the signal *under* 3Volts....the lower the better..dunno if this sticks with the ipstar setup - i'll ask tomorrow.

I hope you got the polarization right :o

./P

Hey Phazey see if you can dig one up for me b4 the next function in Yangon in april.

Ad yes. Polarization was correct. It was actually a lot of fun at the end of the day.

IT

Will bring cash.

• 11 months later...
######.

If I may pick your brains again,I am having IPS installed on Sat.,they say I also need a Lan card,what is its purpose?Also do the normal sercurity measures work ok,such as Nortons or zone alarm. Cheers

It looks as though ###### has disappeared - who is the centre of competence for Ipstar matters now? I'm looking for a users manual/technical manual for the 'modem' supplied.