How Would Real Us Cowboy Dress Go Over In Thailand?

NeverSure

I know, not good for the heat, but I'm a cowboy type, raised on a large ranch in W. US. I like cowboy boots, shirts and hats and even belts.

In my visits to Thailand I've never seen that except on me. I never felt ridiculed for it though.

Does anyone think I would be a weirdo if I dress like that, and do I need to change who I am to "do as the Romans do?" Would my boots and hat just be too much?

I know... not good for the heat but I'm pretty heat tolerant. I've been OK there.

Thanks again!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dont worry what they think,its always the westerners who judge westerners, forget them to.

those boots will get hot as hell but.

Actually I have both perforated and woven boots and I do OK in 100+ degree F weather. We don't have the humidity though, so I'll have to see. I can also get the military hot weather boots like they wear in Afghanistan where it's really hot, like up to 125 degrees F if I need to.

Some Thais LOVE cowboy stuff. I've seen them not only in the hat and boots, but full fringed chaps and leather vest. Talk about hot! My shop makes hand carved leather. Gun belts and holsters with western tooling sell for almost as much here as in the USA. If you had access to "real" cowboy hats and belt buckles you could sell them here. They even have a wild west weekend somewhere and they all dress up as cowboys for a couple days.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

But back to the original question. Wear what you like you're going to get stared at, pointed at and talked about due to being a farang anyway.

Go to any farang bar and you won't be the weirdest person in the bar by far.

You're going to behave yourself and not pick fights with anyone, road rage etc as you will stand out and be easy to find.

I was thinking about Jon Voight`s role as a male prostitute in the movie, Midnight Cowboy.

Men that dress up like cowboys had a sort of reputation from where I come from.

As for me, I have a fetish about Roman Togas, but I suppose it`s whatever are your preferences.

LOL. Well, you didn't grow up in an area where people still dress like that - even young guys. That would be lots of E. Washington State, E. Oregon State, Wyoming, Montana, much of the Dakotas, and certainly much of Texas. I mean daily dress as normal.

Many of them still mount a horse and work the folks' place after school. They aren't poor or dumb either. Many, many of those ranchers are wealthy.

I grew up on a ranch and to this day no one around there has changed. I dare you to tell just one of them that he's a, er, midnight cowboy, LOL.

• Like 1

I was thinking about Jon Voight`s role as a male prostitute in the movie, Midnight Cowboy.

As for me, I have a fetish about Roman Togas, but I suppose it`s whatever are your preferences.

LOL. Well, you didn't grow up in an area where people still dress like that - even young guys. That would be lots of E. Washington State, E. Oregon State, Wyoming, Montana, much of the Dakotas, and certainly much of Texas. I mean daily dress as normal.

Many of them still mount a horse and work the folks' place after school. They aren't poor or dumb either. Many, many of those ranchers are wealthy.

I grew up on a ranch and to this day no one around there has changed. I dare you to tell just one of them that he's a, er, midnight cowboy, LOL.

Well, back in New York and especially in London where I used to live, there was a distinct lack of cowboys, although in London there were thousands of Indians.

It`s up to your own discretion, but I say this with respect and not as an insult, you will look like a prat, trust me on this one.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Sorry, mate; I'd misread your post - do you mean "Us cowboys" or "US cowboys"?

Obviously, as a rural beef-raising country, US - UnSatisfactory - cowboys will struggle. Even if you think you are basically famiilar with ranching techniques in your own bailliwick, without a qualification, you;ll struggle. And then, taking into account the Thais' attitude that they know how to look after buffalo, and keep them sick for the optimal time (Remember - this is NOT Kansas)

I really think cowboys will fare worse than pirates here, though, as I say, I have never had a problem, and I have always dressed appropriate to my trade. Decent smart chaps are as popular here as anywhere

SC

Why dress like a rube if it's not good in the heat ?

Dress comfortably I say. I wouldn't go near a pair of cowboy boots in LOS unless it was for a job that required them.

I remember a guy came to Banchang dressed in a cowboy hat and other cowboy gear. Looked a complete fool to me, and I grew up around people dressed like that.

Well, back in New York and especially in London where I used to live, there was a distinct lack of cowboys, although in London there were thousands of Indians.

It`s up to your own discretion, but I say this with respect and not as an insult, you will look like a prat, trust me on this one.

LOL. I had to google "prat." Never heard it before.

OK, OK, there are enough dissenting voices here that I will give it up. :) When in Rome...

Nothing wrong with proper western wear, I wear my straw hat when someone else hasn't taken it (I really need a new one though). Cowboy hats are perfect for here. I never liked cowboy style shirts, so I never wore them but jeans are everywhere here. and boots look good if you can handle the heat.

That being said, it is probably good advice for you to try something different now and then. I grew up in cattle country, and most of my friends still live where they were born and have a very limited idea of the world out there. It would do them good to get out and do something different for a spell.