How Would Real Us Cowboy Dress Go Over In Thailand?

NeverSure

I think a western who is used to being in cowboy dress looks out of place when they wear anything else. It looks out of character for them. I have a cousin in western Canada who has never worn anything but western wear, all his life. Grew up on the farm, bought a ranch etc. If he wore anything other than western he would feel like a fish out of water. If he can wear cowboy boots in the heat of prairie summers he can handle Thailands heat on his feet.I would say wear your style be comfortable. Most other foreign guys will probably get their sh*t in a knot because a western gentleman will be very popular with the women and make them jealous.

When they girls ask how much for your boots and they will ask, they will be surprised when they findout a good pair of cowboy boots is easily over 45.000 baht. Tell them the price of your hat and they will shriek with excitement, and wear a good buckle with nice design when they hear the price they will swoom.

Edited by lovelomsak

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to Thai Visa the home of misinformation and lame wit in Thailand.

Yes a lot of people wear cowboy boots in Thailand. They are oil and gas workers and factory workers and they live on the East coast of Thailand. You can see a thousand Thai people both men and women wearing cowboy boots (not decorated) every day around Moptaphut industrial estate. Lots of good old Texas companies work here. Not only do they wear cowboy boots but orange heavy jumpsuits too.

If anyone laughs at you tell them you are a friend of Carabao. He wears (sometimes) cowboy boots and is the biggest selling Thai recording artist.

Stetson straw hats are appropriate anywhere. Don't let these uneducated twits tell you anything else.

Now down to the real facts. In Texas real men wear jeans and boots to the beach. In Thailand Thai people also wear clothes to the beach.

Thai women like jeans. Wrangler and Lee and Levis all work well. The Brits have not figured this out yet. Thai women also like cowboy boots because they think you know Carabao. biggrin.png

post-73727-0-42811600-1348455663_thumb.j

Yes a lot of people wear cowboy boots in Thailand. They are oil and gas workers and factory workers and they live on the East coast of Thailand. You can see a thousand Thai people both men and women wearing cowboy boots (not decorated) every day around Moptaphut industrial estate. Lots of good old Texas companies work here. Not only do they wear cowboy boots but orange heavy jumpsuits too.

I guess nobody explained to you the difference between cowboy boots and rig/work boots, you're good at this misinformation lark!

I guess nobody explained to you the difference between cowboy boots and rig/work boots, you're good at this misinformation lark!

The boots on the right are the boots I see every day at the work shoe places around the industrial areas. The boots on the left are the ones I used to wear to work. Not much difference. No difference at all in heat retention or walking ability. I never give anyone misinformation.

post-73727-0-37437100-1348459269_thumb.j

post-73727-0-61518500-1348459289_thumb.j

Edited by chiangmaikelly

The boots on the right are the boots I see every day at the work shoe places around the industrial areas. The boots on the left are the ones I used to wear to work. Not much difference. No difference at all in heat retention or walking ability. I never give anyone misinformation.

You are clearly blind then!!

• Like 2

Maybe, a blind man could tell they were the same in all but some minor variations in the style. However the feel for the wearer would be the same as far as climate conditions go. I forgot to mention Thai Visa also gets the trophy for nit picking.

Been wearing Stetson/Resistol hats and boots made in Bangkok for over 20 years with not a problem. Never had anyone say anything to me, but have had a few looks:) There are a few special places to get what you like here, but not all can be found in Bangkok. Tonys Boots on Suriwong Rd in BKK have been making my boots for all this time and he worked in the States for Tony Lama for 7 years I think it was. I buy all my hats and shirts at a place in Pak Chong that looks just a like a tack shop you would walk into in Clovis, California or Gallop New Mexico. Some amazing finds in Thailand with a bit of luck. PM me if you need to know anything.

• Like 1

Been wearing Stetson/Resistol hats and boots made in Bangkok for over 20 years with not a problem. Never had anyone say anything to me, but have had a few looks:) There are a few special places to get what you like here, but not all can be found in Bangkok. Tonys Boots on Suriwong Rd in BKK have been making my boots for all this time and he worked in the States for Tony Lama for 7 years I think it was. I buy all my hats and shirts at a place in Pak Chong that looks just a like a tack shop you would walk into in Clovis, California or Gallop New Mexico. Some amazing finds in Thailand with a bit of luck. PM me if you need to know anything.

That was good advice that is what TV needs more of. I think probably most guys here have never met a real cowboy. Their only perception is what they have seen in movies and on the internet. Not everyone is inclined to live in big city ghettoes. There are some that live in a whole different environment.

Just want to ask if boot and hat prices are cheaper in BKK than back in north america?

Edited by lovelomsak

Maybe, a blind man could tell they were the same in all but some minor variations in the style. However the feel for the wearer would be the same as far as climate conditions go. I forgot to mention Thai Visa also gets the trophy for nit picking.

For christ sake, you are the one who posted a picture of two completely DIFFERENT boots, the only thing they have in common is that they are called boots!!

One is quite clearly a casual/dress type, decorated, smooth soled "cowboy" boot, the other is a heavy duty, re-enforced sole, heavily treaded, steel toe capped, rigger type work boot!!!

Go spend 12 hours tripping drill pipe on a mud soaked drill floor in the North Sea in your fancy boots and then tell me they have the same "walking ability" !!

By the way, pointing out a blindingly obvious difference is not cosidered nit picking!!

post-62606-0-58654300-1348461164.gif

What is blindingly obvious was the OP asking about what to wear in Thailand not a mud soaked drill floor in the North Sea!!!! He was asking about walking arund Thailand. The boots in the photo walk about the same. The OP is a cowboy not a rig pig! He is coming to Thailand not the North Sea! Got it?

For christ sake, you are the one who posted a picture of two completely DIFFERENT boots, the only thing they have in common is that they are called boots!!

One is quite clearly a casual/dress type, decorated, smooth soled "cowboy" boot, the other is a heavy duty, re-enforced sole, heavily treaded, steel toe capped, rigger type work boot!!!

Go spend 12 hours tripping drill pipe on a mud soaked drill floor in the North Sea in your fancy boots and then tell me they have the same "walking ability" !!

By the way, pointing out a blindingly obvious difference is not cosidered nit picking!!

post-62606-0-58654300-1348461164.gif

What is blindingly obvious was the OP asking about what to wear in Thailand not a mud soaked drill floor in the North Sea!!!! He was asking about walking arund Thailand. The boots in the photo walk about the same. The OP is a cowboy not a rig pig! He is coming to Thailand not the North Sea! Got it?

I am well aware what the OP was asking as i posted a relevant reply in post #33.

You are the one who brought oil and gas workers into the topic with your misinformation about them wearing cowboy boots to their work at Mapthaput, i was simply pointing out that the boots they wear to work and cowboy boots are not the same.

You then posted a picture of two totally different boots in question and tried to claim they were virtually the same, more misinformation, yet even when that was clearly pointed out to you, you try to back pedal by saying "the feel for the wearer would be the same" - even more misinformation as the two feel very different when worn!!!

I sincerely hope you do understand the real difference between the two types of boots, and are actually just being argumentative for the hell of it, either way this is my last comment on this subject, i am happy with the knowledge that i know the difference.

There is a big difference between cowboy boots and work boots. Cowboy boots are harder to walk in with a higher narrower heal. That heel is to hook well into a stirrup. The toes are pointed to ease getting into a stirrup. The work boot has a flatter and wider heel for walking comfort and safety, and a rounder toe for work safety and walking comfort. You would be a lot more solid on your feet in the work boot, but a lot more solid and comfortable on a horse in the cowboy boot.

Once you get used to walking in cowboy boots it's no problem, but it takes practice. Cowboys have to walk too. :)

• Like 1

That was good advice that is what TV needs more of. I think probably most guys here have never met a real cowboy. Their only perception is what they have seen in movies and on the internet. Not everyone is inclined to live in big city ghettoes. There are some that live in a whole different environment.

Just want to ask if boot and hat prices are cheaper in BKK than back in north america?

Prices for hats are definitely higher in Thailand as they are imported, but not over the top really. Seems the good quality straws are OK as far as price because of the turn over, but the felts are pretty pricey for sure. Boots I find are much more inexpensive as they are made locally here in Bangkok. I can get a good pair of Iguana bottoms with calf skin tops made here for Baht 6,500. If you want your bottom and upper put in skin plus a matching belt you'll pay about Baht 15,000. Different skins go for different prices, but I find that the Iguana last quite a while and easy to get keep a good shine on:)

• Like 1

There is a big difference between cowboy boots and work boots. Cowboy boots are harder to walk in with a higher narrower heal. That heel is to hook well into a stirrup. The toes are pointed to ease getting into a stirrup. The work boot has a flatter and wider heel for walking comfort and safety, and a rounder toe for work safety and walking comfort. You would be a lot more solid on your feet in the work boot, but a lot more solid and comfortable on a horse in the cowboy boot.

Once you get used to walking in cowboy boots it's no problem, but it takes practice. Cowboys have to walk too. smile.png

I think you were asking if Thai people think it odd if you wear boots. No they don't since many of them wear boots to work in factories and at oil and gas refineries. Thai people would not notice the heels so for identification purposes a work boot and a cowboy boot would be the same for Thai people. Would they know how much they cost? No, to most Thais, boots for men are work boots.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Couldn't resist:

Cowboy boots: Bullsh*t on the outside

Rig/work boots: The other way around.

I personally wear the rig boots. 'Cause my job paycheck requires it...

• Like 1

Once you get used to walking in cowboy boots it's no problem, but it takes practice. Cowboys have to walk too. smile.png

for identification purposes a work boot and a cowboy boot would be the same for Thai people.

No. Even a Thai person can easily tell the difference.

for identification purposes a work boot and a cowboy boot would be the same for Thai people.

No. Even a Thai person can easily tell the difference.

How many cowboy boots have you seen in Thailand? How many cowboy boots have you seen for sale in Thailand? Sure they could tell the difference but they have never seen a pair of cowboy boots so they would not notice. It is like climbing up on a Farang toilet, that's how the foot prints get on the seat.

At least you wont get bothered by the Indian tailor touts!

Actually Indian tailors can be most helpful for this particular project. They can do custom work much less expensively than in the States so that you can really do it RIGHT! Get yerself some Nudie suits, man:

tumblr_kv2h186Uwm1qaay9eo1_400.jpg

SCN2_23_lg.jpeg

Sure they could tell the difference

Excellent, looks like a few more cylinders are startin' to kick in.

but they have never seen a pair of cowboy boots so they would not notice. It is like climbing up on a Farang toilet, that's how the foot prints get on the seat.

Whoops. Now we've really wandered into the Twilight Zone: Thais don't notice the difference between a squat toilet and a Western toilet!

Oh, but that's exactly why they would notice, just as they will notice that a farang toilet is different and that's why it's necessary to make the effort of climb up on it and balance there. Sorry,

Similarly Thais often look at my motorcycle boots. They notice that they aren't flip flops!

Well, I leave it to the membership to decide who's living in an alternate universe and who isn't. Bye!

• Like 1

No one will take note as Thailand is full of weirdos.

Case in point:

glitterman.jpg

418326_2759626911356_1278283072_32297974_1175023700_n.jpg

da7be291794e8f63e3d0149e42b471af.jpg

I didn't see anything weird thereclap2.gif

Aussie Rules socks, tats and a bit o tail. Looks like the usual Friday night out.

Can't quite make out whether they're cowboy or work boots the big guy's wearing

Edited by Songhua

Couldn't resist:

I like that being from the west we used to say the difference between an easterner and a westerner is the westerner's bullsh*t is on the outside of their boots.

It feels good to have some humor on hear I understand.

Edited by lovelomsak

Sure they could tell the difference

Excellent, looks like a few more cylinders are startin' to kick in.

but they have never seen a pair of cowboy boots so they would not notice. It is like climbing up on a Farang toilet, that's how the foot prints get on the seat.

Whoops. Now we've really wandered into the Twilight Zone: Thais don't notice the difference between a squat toilet and a Western toilet!

Oh, but that's exactly why they would notice, just as they will notice that a farang toilet is different and that's why it's necessary to make the effort of climb up on it and balance there. Sorry,

Similarly Thais often look at my motorcycle boots. They notice that they aren't flip flops!

Well, I leave it to the membership to decide who's living in an alternate universe and who isn't. Bye!

This is really heavy philosophical stuff. If they noticed the difference they would sit down. If not they would squat on the seat. They look at your motorcycle boots and wonder why that Farang has black work boots instead of the red and white motorcycle boots all the Thai kids wear.

post-73727-0-27842100-1348468871_thumb.j

Couldn't resist:

I like that being from the west we used to say the difference between an easterner and a westerner is the westerner's bullsh*t is on the outside of their boots.

It feels good to have some humor on hear I understand.

I'm from Colorado. I wear hiking boots. You all know Colorado? It's that place where good Texans go when they die.

• Like 1