All Systems Go For Don Mueang's Take-Off

webfact

AVIATION

All systems go for Don Mueang's take-off

NONGNAPAS MAIPANIT

THE NATION

dm.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand (AOT), together with King Power and The Mall Group, yesterday announced full readiness in terms of both duty-free and other commercial outlets at Don Mueang Airport, which will resume normal operations this coming Monday.

Don Mueang Airport chief Aniroot Thanomkulaboot said the airport was operation-ready in the following areas: duty-free shops, operated by King Power Group; other commercial outlets, which are handled by The Mall Group; public transportation; and a command and coordination centre.

"Both the duty-free and commercial shops at the airport are finalising decoration. We will have more than 2,200 taxis parked for providing a transportation service in front of Cargo Terminal 2, and about 30 of them will be allowed to pick up passengers at the first floor of the Arrival Terminal at a time.

We will also have buses and shuttle buses to provide service between Don Mueang Airport and Suvarnabhumi Airport, as well as limousines to provide transportation service to travellers," he said.

Aniroot said AOT had set up a command and coordination centre at a temporary location at Don Mueang Airport from September 28 and October 15 to follow up on the various works and solve any service problems that might arise over the reopening period.

AOT will also join with the Royal Thai Air Force in the full exercise of an airport flood-prevention plan on Friday, he added.

Sombat Dechapanichkul, vice chairman of King Power Group, said the group would manage seven duty-free shops for the airport.

Four outlets are located in the departure area and two in the arrival area. A delivery and pick-up counter has been set up in the city.

The group, which has invested Bt200 million in the various outlets, forecasts overall revenue of Bt4.5 billion-Bt5 billion in the first year of operation.

Don Mueang stores will account for Bt3 billion, with the remainder coming from the delivery and pick-up shop, he said.

"The prices of our goods at Suvarnbhumi Airport, Don Mueang Airport and the delivery and pick-up shop will be the same," he added.

The group has to pay AOT Bt60 million per month for the duty-free concession at the reopened airport.

Natthapong Kitnitcheeva, chief operating officer of The Mall Group, said it had been granted a concession to operate retail shops at the airport with a total space of 2,700 square metres for the sale of more than 50 leading brands.

The group has invested Bt200 million in establishing these outlets.

"It is the first time the group has operate shops at Don Mueang Airport, where we have employed 300 people to renovate and decorate outlets in the same design as our department stores," said Natthapong.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-26

I wonder what the turnover of the legendary, ahem, added value facilities will be? whistling.gif

It seems some businesses have a reputation for taking customer service seriously at DM, Would you like a happy ending Sir? w00t.gif

I'll need to go and check DM out at least once and see what all the fuss is about, however I can say I won't be patronising said dodgy establishments, you see, I'm not that kind of boy, I'm a good boy, honest. rolleyes.gif

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

Knowing a few of the pilots, they have mentioned the previous flood water to the runway and taxi areas may have caused a fair amount of subsidence and I wonder if anyone has tested that as there is going to be a substantial increase in weight to this. Having also sat in the jump seat a few times, the taxi apron at DM was atrocious. I wonder if they have fixed that with all the spending they claim.

Seems a lot went into retail - so they must be confident of no future flooding. Either that or they have it on a floor above the last levels.

I for one am looking forward to seeing how they are going to get connecting flights to Swampy. There are no short cuts from DM to Swampy and some of the delayed flights could really throw flight schedules into chaos.

Memories; first time i flew into Don Mueang was november 5th, 1970 on my way to Ubon R.T.A.F.B. cAME IN ON CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, STAYED AT THE CONTINENTAL HOTEL . gOT MY FIRST MASSAGE, LOL IT WAS NICE, NO AIDS. Twenty baht an hour. No traffic problems. Rent a car with air for all day for 80 baht. Good old days. Sorry, got off track a little w00t.gif