Science Test In My Kids School

stevehaigh

my daughter is 13 and goes to chalern pakiet school in town. she's in the math and science program but basically its thai, with a bit of english

anyhow here are a couple of questions from her science test yesterday exactly as written (you have so say if the sentence is true or false

'The radiation need the medium to heat transfer'

'The solution has the biggest particle of mixture'

'The Homogenous maybe pure or mixture'

besides the appalling english grammar, they never bothered to teach her half the words in these questions,

I did the pre-entrance exam for Chiang Mai University a few weeks back on behalf of some teens in our village.

This was a 15 page test booklet given to thousands of applicants.

Supposedly in English, I couldn't answer half the questions, usually because

1. Question not comprehensible.

2. No correct multiple choice answer.

Unbelievable really, how hard and how expensive could it be to get a native English speaker to check their test papers before they print them?

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I did the pre-entrance exam for Chiang Mai University a few weeks back on behalf of some teens in our village.

Unbelievable really, how hard and how expensive could it be to get a native English speaker to check their test papers before they print them?

Far to logical!

i've said to my daughter to tell her teacher a bunch of times, i'll be happy to proof read the tests before handing them out to the kids, for free, but never any interest from the teachers

i've said to my daughter to tell her teacher a bunch of times, i'll be happy to proof read the tests before handing them out to the kids, for free, but never any interest from the teachers

I can understand the teacher refusing, can't admit they are useless at their job.

(My daughter has to be very careful never to correct her teachers)

But a big organisation like CM Uni .................

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I was watching a docco last month about orangutans and how their intelligence is that of a 5 year old human child. My 6 year old is clearly smarter than the dolts I see day to day, bursting their pimples in mirrors, picking their nose, sitting at traffic lights staring off into the distance. Does that mean that orangutans are smarter than some of the people I meet day to day?

My girls go to a proper international school in Bangkok and I supervise their homework. No way will I allow people with an IQ less than 90 teach my children

maybe the exam is only for show, if its like hi so schools, its how much can be paid under the table to get in.

• Like 1

So.....the Thai education system is abysmal.

Is there anyone here that didn't know that?

Yes . I didn't know that . Now I do . I did try and defend it before , as in the same way I suport free education for all . Now I would guess it is still better than nothing.

Does Thai schools have practical science teaching, chemistry and physics experiments?

One way to motivate people to learn is to make it fun.. and inserting sodium or potassium to the water is definitely fun for teenager boys.

How dare a Johnny Foreigner suggest he is more inteligent than a teacher, shame on you Mr Haigh

That would cause a lot of face loss on behalf of the teachers, its similar to when i hear idiots trying to speak Thai to officials and the like and then the official or policeman answers them in English. They don't want you to think that they are dumb.

I was once introduced to a relative of my GF`s,who I was told is an english teatcher. Unfortunately,I could not understand anything of what she tried to tell me "in english",and when she realised that,she explained to my GF (in Thai),that at least her pupils did understand her when she spoke english....

• Like 2

I was once introduced to a relative of my GF`s,who I was told is an english teatcher. Unfortunately,I could not understand anything of what she tried to tell me "in english",and when she realised that,she explained to my GF (in Thai),that at least her pupils did understand her when she spoke english....

Not much hope is there ?

Far too big a dent on their ego. :(

Which is why the country is falling, and will continue to fall, way behind its neighbours.

Go to Cambodia, speak to a peasant waitress, almost fluent English and a desire to learn about everything and anything. A far better conversation than speaking to almost any Thai Uni English student.

The more the neighbours develop, the stronger the 'Thailand number one, best at everything, we good, not-Thai not good' mentally will be.

I bet that it would be a rare, rare Thai teachers that asks a native English teacher to check their work.

I had the same experience with my sister in law's highschool English teacher a decade ago. My sil was so excited for me to meet her teacher and when I got there it was "Hello, How are you? I am fine thank you." And then we were forced to converse in my rudimentary Thai and translation provided by my sil. I couldn't believe that an English teacher was unable to speak more than a couple of basic phrases.

When my daughter was 6 I tried to help her with her math homework. Some of the problems were so confusing that I could not figure them out.

Edited by Tim207

I had the same experience with my sister in law's highschool English teacher a decade ago. My sil was so excited for me to meet her teacher and when I got there it was "Hello, How are you? I am fine thank you." And then we were forced to converse in my rudimentary Thai and translation provided by my sil. I couldn't believe that an English teacher was unable to speak more than a couple of basic phrases.

It's absolutely the norm.

Thailand must have the lowest educational standards (amongst the teachers) in the entire world.

I've lived in African villages where the local African teachers know more than Bangkok Thai university lecturers.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Why would the teacher bother to get the papers to you, ask you to proof read them, then bother to get them back and correct the mistakes? They get paid if the papers are legible or not. Sounds negative i know, but i think you'll agree. They (not all but most Thai's) don't give a s**t about work, as long as they get their salary. sad.png LOS???

It's absolutely the norm.

Thailand must have the lowest educational standards (amongst the teachers) in the entire world.

I've lived in African villages where the local African teachers know more than Bangkok Thai university lecturers.

cheesy.gif
  • Like 1

Never seen a hands on science lab. One school had one, but it was not used as a science lab, but rather as a computer / meeting room.

That's a really shame.

I wonder would it be possible to make an tingtong professor type of science show to demonstrate various science experiments with ordinary household items.

Create carbon dioxide with baking soda and vinegar - put off an candle flame.

Make pyrex glass to invisible when submerged in vegetable oil...

Could be fun to do and fun to the kids. It could even ignite curiosity towards sciences with some kids.

My daughter is home taught no way would I send her to ANY school in Thailand, my friend taught his daughter to question the teachers at the school she was attending, the result?

She was sent to work on a rice farm for 2 weeks her age? 9 yrs! The reason given was that she was a disruptive influence, obviously my friend refused to allow this to happen, now she and her 2 sisters join my daughter in home schooling.

Thai's will never allow experienced qualified foreign teachers to work here as it would be seen as loss of face not to mention the problems paying foreign wages.

The wife of another friend is a teacher (she is Thai) a year or so ago the school where she was teaching revamped the curriculum, problem was that the teachers did not understand it and had to be retrained during the summer holidays.

When my friend questioned her as to what it was she had to be retrained in she was evasive and he never received an answer.

Education in LoS is and will always be a joke!

• Like 2

What does Homeschooling a child entail?

I'd be wary of them missing out on the whole social aspect of not being in a school with lots of other children to play and socialize with.

It could be something I consider for my child though (missus's pregnant).