Bangkok To Pataya By Road

priyan

Since there are four of you, just hire a taxi to get you down there, around 1200 baht, maybe less depending on your negotiations. The public buses are uncomfortable and can be very slow. The taxi will also drop you off at your hotel which is nice when you have suitcases.

From Pattaya back to BKK or the airport you can easily rent a car or taxi. There is not much interesting to stop and see on the trip.

What exactly are you looking for on your first trip to Thailand? I happen to like Bangkok, but many hit the beach and stay there. If you are looking for something a bit old fashioned, or some adventure travel, neither Bangkok or Pattaya will do. If you do go to Pattaya, watch out for the jetski operators and the "girls" at night wink.png

You might want to head down to Pattaya from the airport and schedule a few nights at Koi Samet or Koi Chang. There are some good seafood restaurants outside of Pattaya. There is a large park with examples of Thai temples from different ages.

If you are looking a bit more for adventure plus some partying maybe fly down to Koi Samui. It's not the Gilligan's Island place it used to be, but you still have a better chance at making some Thai friends. Check on the weather first. Avoid Phuket.

Keep an eye on the flooding. Last year I went up to Chiang Mai instead of Pattaya because so many Bangkok people fled to Pattaya that the 7/11's starting running out of beer smile.png, and of course, the hotels doubled their prices.

Public bus from Ekami is quite comfortable and takes a little less than two hours so not "slow"....just make sure you buy the ticket from the ticket counter inside and not some tout standing in the parking lot telling you get on this bus...those are the really slow ones...taxi drivers sometimes think they are mario andretti and scare the crap out of you.. .plus there are always some pretty nice thai gals on the bus to make the scenery more pleasant...

If you do go to Pattaya, watch out for the jetski operators and the "girls" at night ;)

What trouble do I get with jetski operators ?? About girls !!!! What sort we would face ??? None of us been to and neither our friends.. so I have idea about your point .

I have watched this post for a few days. I am not surprised by the don't ride a motorcycle replies. I drive from Chiang Mai almost monthly, and yes you have to keep very alert, and eyes wide open, there are many routes that can be easiily taken.

However a few things about this post get me. First, where are you coming from. with over 60 trips to Thailand, and now living here, I remeber after the flight just being tired, very tired. First day was relaxing and sleep.

You never did say were you would stay in BKK ? BKK is big. depending on where you are, it can take an hour or two just to get across town. Once past hte airport it is a snap to get to Pattaya

But with the first day gone gettting in, through immigration, and to your hotel, maybe a night cap in Nana or cowboy.

Half way, any way, if you take a taxi, bus, or rent a bike, then the 2+ hours to a new hotel in Pattaya, most of that day s gone with relocation.. Again, a walk along beach road and maybe walking street. hit a few bars.

Pattaya as well as BKK has a learning curve that take a few trips to master for newbies.

Last day is packing, the trip back to the airport, (maybe returning the motorbikes) and checking in . . . . etc

a 5 day trip with 3 days just getting around. Where I am not a fan of BKK, I would suggest stay at one or the other, not both. I always tell my friends plan on 2 weeks here. And they always wish for more time yet. Any less is just not enough time. And that is why I moved here, I just needed more time here

This time, or any future time you return, and you will, I am happy to go on a bike trip with you or show you a few ropes. (in pattaya or anywhere except BKK) I was lucky to have a friend along who had been here serveral times befor me. He help save me lots of time and grief.

Have fun,, be smart, and don't do anything you wouldn't do back home. (like buy a bar girl a new home after only staying with her 1 day)

Riding a bike in Thailand takes months to even begin to understand the traffic and mentality here, Dont do it! When your in Pattaya, it might look cool, to see tourist riding a bike, but you have no idea if they are actually tourist, or long time residents. And you will never know how many die or injured, or just crash the bike and the bike shop demands a hundred thousand baht from you. For a holiday, everything looks easy, or sitting in a taxi, but drive yourself, and its a completely different ball game.

a 5 day trip with 3 days just getting around. Where I am not a fan of BKK, I would suggest stay at one or the other, not both. I always tell my friends plan on 2 weeks here. And they always wish for more time yet. Any less is just not enough time. And that is why I moved here, I just needed more

We are from South India and four of us planning. We like some activities not sight seeing. It seems your point is suggesting us to stay only one place this time visit..so what would be your suggestion?? BKK or pattaya? Or do we have any other place like? We don't mind to change the loacaton.

This time, or any future time you return, and you will, I am happy to go on a bike trip with you or show you a few ropes. (in pattaya or anywhere except BKK) I was lucky to have a friend along who had been here serveral times befor me. He help save me lots of time and grief.

Have fun,, be smart, and don't do anything you wouldn't do back home. (like buy a bar girl a new home after only staying with her 1 day)

Am glad that you r happy to ride with us..smile.png And we don have any idea to buy anything for anyone..wink.png coz its a no gals trip. I do have a friend but still he is new to the land so have no idea where to start and stop.

If you do go to Pattaya, watch out for the jetski operators and the "girls" at night wink.png

What trouble do I get with jetski operators ?? About girls !!!! What sort we would face ??? None of us been to and neither our friends.. so I have idea about your point .

The jetski remark is based on postings here about "damage" claims when you get back from the ride, not personal experience. It might be more of a Phuket issue. I haven't rented a car or scooter in a long time, but they used to require you to turn over your passport and then you lose your bargaining power should something happen. Does anyone have current experience?

You must have heard of Thailand's famous Ladyboys. If you look around you'll find the top 10 tips the girl you are with might really be a boy :) A lot of the ladys of the night are really "lads" of the night.

• Like 1

Thank you so much guys for clearing my doubts and saving myself(as well as natives wink.png ). i've got one more issue regarding my visit sorry if this isn't belongs here.. I need internet connection in my mobile whilst i stay there (atleast 2G connection). What shall i do for that? Does True provides mobile internet for tourists??

You can buy prepaid SIM cards over there with data plans. Not all mobiles will work in Thailand check the frequencies of your phone on the True website.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit surprised no one linked to the similar thread from the bikes in thailand forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/486622-bike-friendly-route-bangkokpattaya/

the wife and I are planning on taking the Thanon Suwinthawong route. it's a little longer but supposedly has much less traffic/potholes/craziness. the bang na trat route sounds like hard work, let alone a lot more dangerous. here's the alternative..

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Thanon+Suwinthawong/Route+304&daddr=13.46265,101.17291+to:Sukhumvit/Route+3/AH123&hl=en&ll=13.580586,101.317291&spn=0.539962,1.056747&sll=13.541203,101.374969&sspn=0.540052,1.056747&geocode=Fe7P0gAd0kQBBg%3BFXpszQAdrsYHBikPnVZl5S8dMTFh9BWoStgDEw%3BFdTnxQAdjscDBg&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&dirflg=ht&z=11