Fearing Loss Of Visa Fees, Thailand Opts Out Of Common Visa Plan

george

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised at all. Thailand are far too short sighted for a program like this.

Absolutely... may be they never watching News... Myanmar will open more and more and I know a lot of people ready to go.... Same goes for Cambodia, a lot of ppl left already. I heard 1 year VISA is around a hundred US ... not 1000.- and every three month hustle with visiting Immigration to show nose or leaving the country for a useless VISA run ...

If you come from first world countries (hate this expression) to Cambodia or Laos by plain, you MUST change planes in Bkk, HKK, KL or Singapore, vice versa. It'll take another three to five years until you can fly directly!

I don't know about that but coming from The states or Canada you have to change planes once in. Hong Kong.Singapore or Taipei to get to Bangkok.I think some airlines do it in Hawaii not sure.. Can you not connect to the flights for the other countries there or even if you have to go through Thailand you don't have to go through immigration. Just book straight through to where ever you want to go. You don't need a Thai visa for that.

Can't see why they would want to join the scheme. If they did then people from UK, USA, etc would need to pay for a visa to Thailand, whereas it's free at the moment. So I don't see what Thailand has to gain by joining. It is more likely to drive tourists away if they have to apply for a visa to come here.

I don't agree. I think world travellers will easily pay for a visa that allows easy access to all the SE Asian countries in one package. I don't even think the "backpacker" crowd would have a problem with it as it will

eliminate the need to visit each embassy or counsulate. "One stop shopping", nice.

This strategy will work for thailand ''i believe'',as they already have the infestructure set up to accomidate the demands of the ''tour group''tourist,that want nice malls international cuisine and organized mini tours.Thailankd has much to offer and they are confident,the tourists will arrive....;;build it and they will come''

Good news for all Visa runners.

If Thailand had joined they would not make visas to Thailand in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma.

Yeah its time these monkeys learn to run real businesses and work honestly. All that Thailand is thinking of the shady business they encourage. Tea money, all the stress of playing with foreigners. They arent ashamed of their stupidity and shortsightedness!

I just read this:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2012/09/thailand-and-cambodia-test-single-visa/

Thailand and Cambodia test single visa

BANGKOK, 28 September 2012: A single visa for Thailand and Cambodia will be the test phase of a wider project that will offer a single visa for five of the ASEAN nations located in the lower Mekong River basin.

Suggestions that Thailand has ducked out of the five country single visa project are incorrect. Reliable industry sources confirmed Thailand and Cambodia were selected to test the system and generate feedback that will be evaluated and lead to a wider application including other Mekong Region neighbours, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.

Tourism Council of Thailand vice president, Thanate Vorasaran, told TTR Weekly, Thursday, that a single visa for travel between Thailand and Cambodia was part of an agreement signed in 2007 and was specifically identified as a pilot project.

I just read this:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2012/09/thailand-and-cambodia-test-single-visa/

BANGKOK, 28 September 2012: A single visa for Thailand and Cambodia will be the test phase of a wider project that will offer a single visa for five of the ASEAN nations located in the lower Mekong River basin.

Suggestions that Thailand has ducked out of the five country single visa project are incorrect. Reliable industry sources confirmed Thailand and Cambodia were selected to test the system and generate feedback that will be evaluated and lead to a wider application including other Mekong Region neighbours, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.

Tourism Council of Thailand vice president, Thanate Vorasaran, told TTR Weekly, Thursday, that a single visa for travel between Thailand and Cambodia was part of an agreement signed in 2007 and was specifically identified as a pilot project.

Well either they couldn't opt out, our someone worked out that the Chinese didn't agree.

I just read this:

http://www.ttrweekly...st-single-visa/

"however tourists have to pay a fee that covers entry into both countries.,"

Would that mean, I can chose the visa for only Thailand or Cambodia, if i do not wanna go to the other country?

Or would that mean, it doesn't matter, which country i wanna visit, I have to buy both (all five) entry options?

Good, that they test it 'already', and not short before the beginning of this project!

But all of the other countries listed require visas, while a majority of nationalities don't need any visa to enter Thailand?

So why bother joining? Seems it would just cause more administrative costs with no benefit as most tourist just get a 30 day stamp upon arrival (no visa required)

Really do not understand the negative comments at all???

At present someone from Uk arriving by Air will be given a 30 day on arrival! if he or she then goes to Laos (say after 2 days) and returns to Thailand he or she would be given Only 15 days on arrival .. so losing 13 days !!!!!. Note if some one enters thailand by foot only 15 days are given!!!!

If Thailand joined the scheme then presumably they would not lose the 13 days..

• 5 weeks later...

I heard a story once that sending farangs on border runs to Cambodia are a way certain Thai businesses Cartels pay their neighbours for certain shipments coming from cambodia back to Thailand. Afterall there is no money trail and it looks legitimate sending farangs on visa runs every 30/90 days.

Ofcourse this could be just a conspiracy theory,

But it makes you think - why would Thailand otherwise lose out on sending farangs to the local immigration office once every 30/90 days for a renewal visa,

Why does Thailand instead of letting us pay for a Cambodian Visa for 5 minutes and then walk back just pocket it themselves?

Think about it...

Laundry so white its carried by Farangs and no paper trails will ever exist.

But all of the other countries listed require visas, while a majority of nationalities don't need any visa to enter Thailand?

So why bother joining? Seems it would just cause more administrative costs with no benefit as most tourist just get a 30 day stamp upon arrival (no visa required)

Really do not understand the negative comments at all???

At present someone from Uk arriving by Air will be given a 30 day on arrival! if he or she then goes to Laos (say after 2 days) and returns to Thailand he or she would be given Only 15 days on arrival .. so losing 13 days !!!!!. Note if some one enters thailand by foot only 15 days are given!!!!

If Thailand joined the scheme then presumably they would not lose the 13 days..

That's not correct,you can obtain a re entry permit for 1000 baht on a visa exemption,thus keeping the original 30 day stamp active upon re entry to the Kingdom,loosing only the days spent out of the country,in the case of your example above that would be 2.

How you get from having an original 30 day visa exemption to re entering and having only 13 days,after all if you re entered Thailand after a 2 day trip in Laos without a re entry permit you would be granted a permission of stay of 15 days and not 13.

Edited by stoneyboy

If you come from first world countries (hate this expression) to Cambodia or Laos by plain, you MUST change planes in Bkk, HKK, KL or Singapore, vice versa. It'll take another three to five years until you can fly directly!

Not true. Air France from Paris to Phnom Penh (via HCMC) does NOT require any change of plane. Qatar Airways will begin flights to Phnom Penh from Doha (also via HCMC) in February next year and they have excellent connecting services from Europe and the US. It is rumoured that Emirates are also planning scheduled flights out of Dubai. Phnom Penh international airport is currently undergoing an upgrade to enable handling of more and larger aircraft, so I think we can expect more direct flights from Europe in considerably less than three to five years.

Edited by Rumpole