What Lte Freqency Use Lte In Thailand?

Sandman77

Just something to think about for those who are buying iPhone 5 and expect to use LTE in Thailand: even if they managed to make it happen next year, I noticed that there are 2 types of LTE trial here, one with 2.3 GHZ, and the other one is 1.8GHZ.

Not an expert on LTE, but iPhone 5 seem to only support several LTE channel, but not 2.3GHZ. 1.8GHZ is supported, but the thing is I noticed that 1.8GHZ trial is the one less mentioned in the trial announcement.

• 4 weeks later...

AIS has, or had, two LTE trials, on in Bangkok on 2300 MHz and one in Maha Sarakham (at a university there) on 1800 MHz, neither were or are open to the public.

DTAC may have a trial on 1800 MHz, not open to the public.

In theory, TrueMove, DTAC and DPC would return their 1800 MHz spectrum to the NBTC (when their concessions end in 2013), which had plans to auction it as early as March 2013, with deployments by the end of 2013. I think it is safe to say that plan is in jeopardy.

HI

A friend has offered to bring me an unlocked iPhone5 from London in late November. There seems no guarantee that the phone will be available to buy in Chiangmai by then so I'm thinking of getting the UK one. I'm working on the assumption that there is no downside or disadvantage in a UK phone as against the one that'll eventually be sold here. But I just saw the lines below in the UK Apple site. I understand nothing of the jargon - LTE, CDMA; just would be grateful if someone who knows can confirm that there is nothing there to contradict my assumption that the UK unlocked phone will be identical to the one that'll be sold in Thailand.

"The unlocked iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will not work with CDMA-based carriers. An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details."

Many thanks

Edited by triffid

^ yes it will work fine on 3G. 3G works fine in Thailand, it has for a while even though it was quasi illegal.

Corruption is endemic but the major players tend to find ways around the limitations. Especially if they happen to be favored by the current government. The brilliant plan of CAT and TOT - the two state owned telcos - was to prevent everyone from deploying 3G, then doing it themselves and having the others rent their networks. That way they can go back to cashing in on concessions for basically doing absolutely nothing. It is a brilliant plan though because it took them years to come up with it... and now because it's so brilliant, they're going to want to stick with it for 4G LTE as well.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP655

It looks like any of the three versions would be fine for Thailand with the GSM A1428 model perhaps ideal?

The three major, full-service providers: TrueMove H, AIS and DTAC all operate on concessions issued by TOT or CAT, and thus pay significant (~ 27 % of revenue) fee for those concessions. These concessions are ending over the next 1 (TrueMove) to 6 years (DTAC), and these concessions have been in place for ` 15 years. TrueMove H resells CAT 3G.

You'll be able to use pre-paid or post-paid services, with 3G here with any/all models. Hopefully 3G services will expand to 2100 MHz, and your model will support that as well.

Not sure about warranty repair - you should check into that and make sure whatever warranty comes with the UK model is applicable here.

Thanks for confirming the UK model is ok for here. Any idea about the availability of the micro sims here? Will they go on sale immediately on the official launch date? Will their availability be far easier than the iphone5, even in the initial period?

Thanks for confirming the UK model is ok for here. Any idea about the availability of the micro sims here? Will they go on sale immediately on the official launch date? Will their availability be far easier than the iphone5, even in the initial period?

I think you want a nano SIM?

All the service providers have made these generally available.

But uSIMs are available too, obviously.

I thought LTE trial is already rolled out early this year and larger scale will be by the end of this year? Here's the trial http://www.ais.co.th/4g/about-en.html and a video testing the trial

And here's the larger scale trial plan http://www.totaltele....aspx?ID=476024

Am I missing something?

What a joke. Look at the download speed numbers that AIS are showing. The problem with AIS isn't the speed of their 3G, LTE or even EDGE handset connection - it's with their internet gateway capacity. Even with full signal strength and a 3G connection using AIS, my bandwidth often crawls to a stop to the point where I cannot even check email. During peak daytime hours and in crowded areas such as the airport or in a Sukhumvit traffic jam? Forget it...AIS is completely useless with zero bandwidth.

Personally, I think AIS need to forget all the hype with fast 3G, 4G, LTE handset connections, and create enough internet bandwidth capacity to make even an EDGE connection useful.