Thai Airways International Takes Delivery Of First Airbus A380

webfact

Unfortunately, these planes are not making profits for most airlines. If my memory is correct, Thai Airways wanted to "pull out" of the order agreement, but could not because of law suits (I believe). There are always huge numbers of Hongkong folks flying into Bangkok for the weekend, so maybe it can be used there to take business away from Cathay Pacific's 5 flights daily on a Friday to BKK. Maybe the double decker can be used for the Moscow flights since the Russians make up a large number of tourists here. It will be interesting to see where they use these six airplanes ...

Start Dates

Bangkok-Singapore (October 28th 2012)

Bangkok-Hong Kong (October 28th 2012)

Bangkok-Paris (February 16th 2013)

Bangkok-Tokyo (January 16th 2013)

Bangkok-Frankfurt (December 15th 2012)

In respect to Russian service

June 21, 2012– Transaero Airlines, Russia’s second largest airline, has completed a purchase agreement with Airbus for four A380 aircraft. The Russian carrier plans to start operations with the A380 on its long-range network of high density routes from Moscow. The aircraft will feature a three class cabin layout, seating about 700 passengers.

Transero flies to BKK and HKT. It will be interesting to see if the planned expansion at HKT will accomodate the A380.

BTW, because the A380 can carry more pax than a B747, it offers a more revenue per seat opportunity on high density routes. I would expect TG to be using the A380 on the routes where it has its highest pax loads.

what is HKT?

Is it just me or does the A380 look far smaller than the B747 when viewed up close?

Must be you, terminal three Chiangi you can get up close , they are bloody huge , you can tell a 380 buy its tail , the tallest on the block, three stories high, sit next to one in a A/B330 and you are in a small plane

Remember seeing Concord on the ground at LHR, I was surprised to see how small it was, I was sitting on a 747 looking down at it on an adjacent stand, even the 737 on the stand the other side of it looked bigger.

How many have TG ordered?

Emirates have #24 arriving today and three more in the next five weeks.

It does look nice.

But not as nice as the MAS 380 that has been coming to London for several weeks already. SIAs livery is already getting tired but they have three coming in here every day and want another slot. Who dared has already won. Also the Thai livery is the same as painted on that tired old 747 they had the gall to fly me to London on two weeks ago when they'd promised an A340. The brand is trashing itself which seems to be a popular game in Thailand right now.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, these planes are not making profits for most airlines. If my memory is correct, Thai Airways wanted to "pull out" of the order agreement, but could not because of law suits (I believe). There are always huge numbers of Hongkong folks flying into Bangkok for the weekend, so maybe it can be used there to take business away from Cathay Pacific's 5 flights daily on a Friday to BKK. Maybe the double decker can be used for the Moscow flights since the Russians make up a large number of tourists here. It will be interesting to see where they use these six airplanes ...

Typically such aircraft were designed for long hauls..... Not short hops with many cycles and landings. Japan airlines found that out with a B747 many years back when the aft bulk head failed due to fatigue from short hops, killing all pax.

That bulkhead failure was caused by a poor repair. The aircraft had a landing" incident" necessitating repairs to the bulkhead. By mistake a single row of rivets was used instead of the required double row, causing the bulkhead to fail.

It had a tail strike the run way.

won't be using Thai airways until they get either the 777 or this on the London route

Why? What don't you like about the A340?

Actually if you fly business class to London on the A346 it's so dam_n painful. The seats are 180 deg flat but they are short and reclined at 170 degrees. You'll slide quite badly. I keep waking up with numbed legs.

Unfortunately, these planes are not making profits for most airlines.

Any evidence to support this statement?

I don't think so. Just a troll passing by I guess.

It's hard to find profit numbers on specific models of planes, but here's a good idea from a 2010 article: http://www.aspireavi...-is-profitable/

Airbus Chief Operating Officer (COO) Customers John Leahy once claimed that A380 can break even at 65% load factor.

Singapore Airlines (SIA) also added that the load factor on its A380s has held up well.

“The aircraft has been very well received by our customers, with load factors systemwide surpassing 80%. On routes where we have multiple daily frequencies like London Heathrow, Sydney, Hong Kong and Tokyo, the A380 flights are typically the most popular.

We now have 10 A380s in service, with nine more on firm order and six on option, flying to six destinations from Singapore (with Zurich) to be the seventh from late March).

Hong Kong is the only short/medium-haul route that it flies on, but that service in particular is a great commercial success with high load factors,” Singapore Airlines explained in the statement.

Well, even Emirates and Singapore Airlines’ claims that the load factors at their respective A380 fleets are true, no wonder that this implies the profitability on the A380 is high.

Edited by IsaanUSA

won't be using Thai airways until they get either the 777 or this on the London route

Why? What don't you like about the A340?

Actually if you fly business class to London on the A346 it's so dam_n painful. The seats are 180 deg flat but they are short and reclined at 170 degrees. You'll slide quite badly. I keep waking up with numbed legs.

I haven't done it on the A364, but have on the 744 and 773.. I don't find the length to be a problem. But I do find the seaats a bit hard and lumpy for lying on. I just use the footrest to stop the sliding.

As an keen aviation anorak I am very much aware there are constant posts on many forums from a certain area of the northern hemisphere hell bent on discrediting Airbus & Rolls Royce at every opportunity.

I have never flown on a A380 but i cant see Thai using it from LHR in the near future as they have 2 slots a day and dont want to lose 1 as they probably could not fill A380 and a A346 in the same day so it is worth using it on a 1 daily flight city such as Frankfurt. Personally i prefer the 747 over A346 just for the extra legroom and seat comfort, i find the A346 seats so hard and cramped.

Andyuk

As an keen aviation anorak I am very much aware there are constant posts on many forums from a certain area of the northern hemisphere hell bent on discrediting Airbus & Rolls Royce at every opportunity.

No kidding. I never plan to visit Sweden and I hope to never have to fly in a Saab airplane.

Typically such aircraft were designed for long hauls..... Not short hops with many cycles and landings. Japan airlines found that out with a B747 many years back when the aft bulk head failed due to fatigue from short hops, killing all pax.

Not true, there was 4 survivors on JA flight 123: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123

It does look nice.

But not as nice as the MAS 380 that has been coming to London for several weeks already. SIAs livery is already getting tired but they have three coming in here every day and want another slot. Who dared has already won. Also the Thai livery is the same as painted on that tired old 747 they had the gall to fly me to London on two weeks ago when they'd promised an A340. The brand is trashing itself which seems to be a popular game in Thailand right now.

I really like the MAS A380 Interior even though I can't wait to see how's the Thai A380 Interior looks like btw.

Is it just me or does the A380 look far smaller than the B747 when viewed up close?

The 747 has nice lines, this thing looks like a blimp straight out of a Pattaya beer bar.

First... good to know that we have a member here with extended knowledge about Pattaya beer bars. With this expertise on board we all are blessed with insight and wisdom.

Second... there are hundreds of cars (oldtimers) around with more character and better design than what they sell as a car these days. But this doesn't mean that I want to drive or to own them for daily use.

The A380 is a complete different generation. Sit in it once and you'll understand its advantages and you will never opt for the 747 when you can get a ticket for the same price.

-Baboon- Do not look smaller for me and that is backed in numbers. wink.png

Length 70,6 m to 72,7

Wingspan 64,4 m to 79,7

Height 19,4m - 24,4

http://en.wikipedia....747-400#747-400

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Airbus_A380

B 747

Overall length 231 ft 10 in (70.6 m) Wingspan 211 ft 5 in (64.4 m) Overall height 63 ft 8 in (19.4 m)

A 380

Length overall 72.73 m (238.6 ft) Wingspan 79.75 m (261.6 ft) Height 24.45 m (80.2 ft)

Edited by ALFREDO

The Korean do not care what you observed. As far as I know, also some Japanese Airlines think about it, to use A 380 for Domestic Japanese routes,with more seats on the plane.

The shortest route that the A380 flies regularly is from Seoul-Incheon to Tokyo-Narita (1260 km or 783 miles great circle distance)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Airbus_A380

Airlines' announced capacities range from 407 passengers (Korean Air) to over 644 (Emirates Airline, in two classes), with an 840-passenger one-class layout reportedly planned by Air Austral. (Reunion-Paris)

http://en.wikipedia....the_Airbus_A380

Edited by ALFREDO