Kao Soi: The Competetition Face Off

eyecatcher

im surprised i dont see khao soi mae manee, its abit run down though. khao soi maesai is great as well but the niman one pales in comparison imo. the broth from maenee is really thick and savory, i once eat 3 bowls over there and stained my white polo tees pretty badly. thats the only thing i hate about khaosoi

I really like the Khao Soi at Silomjoy restaurant actually. I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me it's crap. Not trad but I like not having to deal with a rubbery chicken leg complete with yellow skin and gristle. Big fan of Kao Soi Hmu as well.

I really like the Khao Soi at Silomjoy restaurant actually. I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me it's crap. Not trad but I like not having to deal with a rubbery chicken leg complete with yellow skin and gristle. Big fan of Kao Soi Hmu as well.

but i like chicken skin and gristle sad.png

1.) Khao Soi No Name next to **&%$# market, sorry it's a secret.. and staying that way. 35B for a huge bowl. In 12 yrs only seen one other foreigner there.

2.) Doi Pui Hmong village - A Muslim family run this resturant on the left hand side as you walk up the shop lined street from the car park, they have been there for years, now extended and refurbished - very small chicken leg but lovely thick curry broth made with fresh spices, with HOME MADE pickled veg (Pak Dong) with mild chilli and shallots, this makes a big difference as most Khao Soi places just get their pickled veg from the nearest market.. Nice mountain view at the rear of the resturant. 40B does beef also 50B? If you would like to recreate the dish at home they sell Khao Soi and packets of fresh spices to take home.

mmm

• Like 1

If in Bkk and of need of a fix, on Wednesdays only during lunch there is a little restaurant on the quiet soi (daytime) of Patpong. On your left about 100 meters down from Silom. Very busy with local Bangkok office workers on their lunch breaks and farangs like smokes who are having a snack before going to bed.

If in Bkk and of need of a fix, on Wednesdays only during lunch there is a little restaurant on the quiet soi (daytime) of Patpong. On your left about 100 meters down from Silom. Very busy with local Bangkok office workers on their lunch breaks and farangs like smokes who are having a snack before going to bed.

Off topic. Anyway that is past my bedtime. tongue.png

1.) Khao Soi No Name next to **&%$# market, sorry it's a secret.. and staying that way. 35B for a huge bowl. In 12 yrs only seen one other foreigner there.

Different venue but same here, though in 8 years I've never seen another in it bar visitors.

Nice list though, op.

+1 for doi pui hmong village i really like it there also .

Where is this exactly.....not as far as it sounds I hope?

Twice as far up the mountain as Wat Doi Suthep, past Puping palace.

At the fork, down the left road with the arch over it.

About 50m into the village shops on the left.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=18.816343,98.88287&spn=0.002468,0.004823&ctz=-420&t=h&z=18

Not all that special and 50bht a bowl.

Nam Mae Ping (between Dukes and the big bridge) is far better and 35bht a bowl.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

https://maps.google....z=-420&t=h&z=18

Thanks for that.....

and thanks for suggesting I go back to Mae Nam Ping (as per their menu), I dont want to review it twice.

Ive been quiet on here for 2 days,, didnt realise I could run as fast as i could to the bog, the ring of fire feels more like the ring of plastic.....need to review my last place.....was I suspicious of anything.......Kao Soi James...enough said chaps

2.) Doi Pui Hmong village - A Muslim family run this resturant on the left hand side as you walk up the shop lined street from the car park, they have been there for years, now extended and refurbished - very small chicken leg but lovely thick curry broth made with fresh spices, with HOME MADE pickled veg (Pak Dong) with mild chilli and shallots, this makes a big difference as most Khao Soi places just get their pickled veg from the nearest market.. Nice mountain view at the rear of the resturant. 40B does beef also 50B? If you would like to recreate the dish at home they sell Khao Soi and packets of fresh spices to take home.

mmm

Agreed--best view in town for watching the kids play soccer and eat kao soi on mountaintop.

nice end of day snax after riding up mountain--waterfalls-lookouts--before the ride back to the city

https://maps.google....z=-420&t=h&z=18

Ive been to Mae Nam Ping , but i really do believe that the khao soi here is more geared to farang taste. Bland and boring.

Kao Soi is indeed something that makes Chiang Mai the place that it is. Have eaten at a few of those places but the best I have found (since the old Chinese guy near Bann Pong Yang Nai closed down) is up in Mae Taeng at the Kao Fae Cafe. (kmz file attached.) This place is one of those trendy cafes that is popular with the tourist crowd from Bangkok so it is sometimes over run in the high season, but well worth it. Difficult to find, it is merely a few parking spots in front of gate on the side of the road, and there is parking inside the gate.

Color: Appealing light brown yellow.

Noodles: Tasty and perfectly cooked.

Crispy Noodle: Crispy, yellow, delicious on their own, and served warm. Topped with a bit of parsley.

Soup: Very rich, stocky and full with a bit of attitude. You won't leave a drop.

Meat: A whole leg cooked so that it falls apart as it should. (I always take off the meat and set the bone aside before imbibing.)

Side Dish: Pickled cabbage, lemon, red onions. Red chillies on request.

Price; 45 baht

Value: Perfect.

Ambience: Trendy open timbered shop with heavy timber tables and adjacent coffee shop.

Suggestions: Sometimes they offer a Kao Soi pasta dish with shrimp.

Location: 300 meters past the turn off to Pai on HWY 107 in Mae Taeng, just past a gravel and rock yard.

Open hours: 11.00-15:00 so lunch only.

Kao Fae.kmz