97000 Baht For A Honda Click ?

pattayadingo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for those that live out in the country who do not have access to any forms of public transport need some means of getting to and fro. I used to see the relatives and neighbours children getting around to school and back on bicycles. Was the only way they could get to school when their parents were off to work too early to take them.

As i have already said, i fully accept that those who have journeys to make in getting to work for which there is no public transport, i understand why they might end up taking on finance. I would still question however the sense in buying something like a new Click. It's very expensive to buy and to run. Waves use much less fuel and are much more reliable. They go on forever, and are cheap and easy to maintain. If things are that tight, just buy a used Wave. 15k will get you a decent one. Surely has to make more sense than ending up spending close to 100k on something that will break down more often and drink almost twice as much fuel.

My new Click 125i cost 53k inc tax and insurance, 50km to the litre, hardly expensive to run.

The new wave was more expensive to buy.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

And for those that live out in the country who do not have access to any forms of public transport need some means of getting to and fro. I used to see the relatives and neighbours children getting around to school and back on bicycles. Was the only way they could get to school when their parents were off to work too early to take them.

As i have already said, i fully accept that those who have journeys to make in getting to work for which there is no public transport, i understand why they might end up taking on finance. I would still question however the sense in buying something like a new Click. It's very expensive to buy and to run. Waves use much less fuel and are much more reliable. They go on forever, and are cheap and easy to maintain. If things are that tight, just buy a used Wave. 15k will get you a decent one. Surely has to make more sense than ending up spending close to 100k on something that will break down more often and drink almost twice as much fuel.

Agreed on the price of the 'Click'. Maybe down to wanting to show, 'I have the money' and then falling flat on your face as you cannot pay the instalments. I have to admit I never really looked at the price of most bikes for a lot of years as I have always been happy with my two Fino's.

We would buy what we can afford as that is the best way to keep it. A great waste of money to pay 6 months or longer only to lose the item.

I searched high and low to get the best out of my credit card for use in Thailand so I did not have to pay interest or % rates. It is a shame people here are not taught to do the same, but that has been covered in this topic already.

I often wonder about the mentality of some people when I drive past corrugated tin shacks with new or near new pick-ups parked outside. Don't they realize it's better to use their income to buy land....and house???

• Like 1

I often wonder about the mentality of some people when I drive past corrugated tin shacks with new or near new pick-ups parked outside. Don't they realize it's better to use their income to buy land....and house???

Yes sadly you see that all the time, I guess its more important to show others that you have a shinny new ride but living in a shack.

I am past that point a long time ago, I prefer to live comfortable and have a lesser ride.

In DK when I had a Lada car (sort of) I had a sticker on the rear window that said: Laugh only but its paid for.

Funny enough nobody was laughing at me when they overtook me, lol.

An interesting thread, and i think it;s indeed all about the mentality of most Thais that so many vehicles are bought on finance.

An example from my own ( Thai) family: When my wife 's younger brother and his wife both got a job in a nearby town ( 20 km) they needed a bike to go to work,

My Farang brother in law and me decided to help him a bit ( he's a good guy and got 2 small kids to take care of) and offered him to give him a second hand bike ( there's a shop in town where they sell those reposessed bikes) and guess what.... he wasn't really happy with the idea of getting a second hand bike, and choose for the other option, buying a new bike on finance!!!!! we still helped him,( but a lot less, when he would have agreed he would have got a second hand bike for free)

He bought a Click paid 25.000 cash (our donation and his savings) and 18 downpayments of 2000 = 61.000 ( price new click in 2011 47K??)

When somebody would have made me an offer like that, i would have been a easy choice : get a free bike

But second hand is a sort of dirty word for Thai.

Driving around in Isaan (which is the poorer part of Thailand they say) you see everywhere the latest models motorbikes and cars and yes... many times parked outside a shack.

An interesting thread, and i think it;s indeed all about the mentality of most Thais that so many vehicles are bought on finance.

An example from my own ( Thai) family: When my wife 's younger brother and his wife both got a job in a nearby town ( 20 km) they needed a bike to go to work,

My Farang brother in law and me decided to help him a bit ( he's a good guy and got 2 small kids to take care of) and offered him to give him a second hand bike ( there's a shop in town where they sell those reposessed bikes) and guess what.... he wasn't really happy with the idea of getting a second hand bike, and choose for the other option, buying a new bike on finance!!!!! we still helped him,( but a lot less, when he would have agreed he would have got a second hand bike for free)

He bought a Click paid 25.000 cash (our donation and his savings) and 18 downpayments of 2000 = 61.000 ( price new click in 2011 47K??)

When somebody would have made me an offer like that, i would have been a easy choice : get a free bike

But second hand is a sort of dirty word for Thai.

Driving around in Isaan (which is the poorer part of Thailand they say) you see everywhere the latest models motorbikes and cars and yes... many times parked outside a shack.

This is exactly what i have observed. The option of buying a used bike, that would make perfect economic sense for people on tight budgets, is dismissed, not because they are overpriced or because they would cost a lot to maintain, but because people simply want something nice and new and shiny. Well of course we all like things that are nice and new and shiny, but if it means taking on years and years of repayments that take away a massive portion of your monthly salary, and mean you end up paying two or three times the value of the bike, the question is, is it really worth it? A rational thinking human-being would say "no".

My new Click 125i cost 53k inc tax and insurance, 50km to the litre, hardly expensive to run.

When i switched from using a Wave to using a Click, it immediately cost me double at the pumps. I was quite shocked at the difference.

I imagine if you were on an average Thai salary, and using the bike daily quite a bit, it would make a significant difference.

In my area, quite a lot of the motorcycle taxi guys switched to Clicks a year or so back. A lot have since switched back to Waves.

When i switched from using a Wave to using a Click, it immediately cost me double at the pumps. I was quite shocked at the difference.

I imagine if you were on an average Thai salary, and using the bike daily quite a bit, it would make a significant difference.

In my area, quite a lot of the motorcycle taxi guys switched to Clicks a year or so back. A lot have since switched back to Waves.

The 2012 Click is completely different to previous models.