Bali Hai Pier And Fighing Through The Crowds.

pattayadingo

A friend and I went down to Bali Hai pier today for a change and also because we have not been down that way for a while. Trying to walk on the pathway against oncoming people that looked Korean, maybe Japanese or similar was very hard work.

They all seemed determined to walk 3 abreast and not give an inch to others coming their way. Heads down they lurched onward trying their best, or in ignorance, to push you into the railings or onto the road into traffic, while we walked in single file. As you try to stand your ground an not be pushed aside they encountered a hard shoulder from me and I hear quite a few mutterings coming my way, yet you can only move over so much !

Is this general practice or was this a bad day?

Just throw one into the pier and you will have plenty of walking room. I do encounter this ignorance sometimes even where I am from, and most of the time just keep walking at a steady pace and let them get out of my way or get bumped if they are taking up the whole walkway.

You obviously have not learn how to walk in crowed places in Asia. I was the same my first year in Thailand until a friend told me how to do it. He suggested as I suggest to you to try this out in a busy shopping mall.

All you need to do is also walk with your head pointed down and trust me, try this for real you will be amazed. While you are walking strait try walking zig zag or just random different ways and I will guarantee that you will not be knocked into once.

Report back here after trying this.

PS: This is not a joke. I really mean it. Then you can do it anywhere you need, even on the sidewalks. It works in all Asian countries. I have not had this problem for 11 years now.

By the way seeing that the OP mentioned Bali Hai,

whats that building going to be that's being constructed in the middleof the one

way system?

The rather surprising answer is that it's a mechanically operated long stay car park.

I was wondering what it would be every time i went by there, well at least it's not another condo

or shopping mall. Parking is a problem around there so it should work well.

one man alone can be a real pain in the a...

three people walking on a sidewalk normally do not show respect for anybody around them.

there is a new improvement: one a--hole with his i-phone (looking at the small screen and walking in your direction.

increase: one a..h. driving (!)his car while looking at the screen of his i-phone

answer: it is every day practice on Bali Hai pier ...

Edited by dieter1
  • Like 1

If i ever saw someone walking like that Gone,

i would be thinking either drunk or mentally challenged! laugh.png

Don't knock it until you try it. I'm not talking about having your head 90 degrees down at the ground, I mean just walking as though you are looking down and not ahead but of course keeping your vision open.

Ohhh you mean the zig zag walk, hahahaha yeah ok got it now, lmfao. Ok maybe don' go to THAT extreme but trust me when I first got here I wouldnget frustrated at dodging all the people in the malls until my friend told me about this, now they all dodge me:)

• Like 1

The issue is one of different social patterns of various backgrounds. What we take as rude, some think is normal and it applies both ways. We are taught to queue, many nationalities are not. We are taught to talk softly, some are not. We might walk around with shirts off, other nationalities wouldn't ... and on it goes ...

Bumping intentionally into someone might make you feel you have won in the OP's situation but no lesson is conveyed as the "offender" knows nothing of what we were taught in behaviour terms and would not understand the "message".

You should try this......sit in a bar, about halfway down Walking street, on New years eve. Wait till the fireworks end and then try to get to bali hai pier. crazy.gif Not so bad until you get to the bottle neck at the end of walking street. I seen one women being carried out of the crowd, unconcsious, due to being crushed.

First time in Pattaya on New years eve, i tried that. Never again. Now we watch the fireworks and then go to bars away from Bali Hia.

Top tip for newcomers.

The people you see there are almost exclusively Mainland Chinese. See the endless row of tour busses with Chinese writing delivering them to the pier. They are herded like cattle from the bus to the boat. Treated like cattle ,behaving like cattle.

Also: Note many nights the Falun Gong activists with their posters trying to get their attention.

The activists include sometimes Farangs too, I saw.