Do All Tourists In Thailand Get The Hershey Squirts The First Month Here?

omnilangur

Is it just me and every other friend that has come here noticing volcanic eruptions of eggplant peppers popping out like a broken fire hydrant exploding every hour? My friend has been sleeping over at my place on the floor unfortunately and my one room studio is starting to smell like a Bulgarian out house during a carnival! Should I kindly ask him to rent a room or any ideas on what medicines he should take other than charcoal not working? Hes got no insurance and not much money to go to hospital like me he is poor looking for work!

Please help!

Thanks!

dont drink tap water and dont have ice in your drinks.

eat rice only for a few days and this might help.

its not only in thailand, when you visit any country, the way the food is cooked,

the oil they use, spices etc, every body needs a few days to accustomise.

in the meantime, cross your legs

dont agree, the food is fine most of the time, but if you eat cheap crap from the street carts you are going to have problems. Also the post above re: water, is good advice.

Go to ANY of the pharmacists and they'll help you. That's a Pharmacist NOT some dodgy shop selling knock off meds on Sukumvit.

Edited by CharlieH

Many of the expats that I know, have had a mild case of the squirts as long as they have been here (but not the volcanic eruption kind). Drinking water or juice with some apple cider vinegar in it helps a lot.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

its not only in thailand, when you visit any country, the way the food is cooked,

what is this, mexico in the 70's?

ice is fine here, though i would give tap water a miss.

i would agree with avoiding the milk, i never got the squirts, and i rarely drink milk.

other than that, avoid spicy foods and stop sharing a studio with another man

Imodium helps a lot.

Loperamide/Immodium stops your guts from moving. This can be a good thing if you need to administer antibiotics or other drugs you want to stay in the system rather than being flushed out quickly, as well as when you absolutely need to travel or do something else where it's inconvenient to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes.But as a cure for diarrhea it is absolutely useless, and in some cases the diarrhea helps to flush out the source of the problem. So to use Immodium indiscriminately or for a long period of time is a bad idea. Ginger and turmeric help to stabilize your stools from getting too loose, and cost next to nothing.

• Like 2

A hotel doctor in Cambodia suggested ginger tea with honey, didn't stop the runs, but it was tasty.

Generally I don't suffer weeks of travelers diarrhea, more often then not I do get a case of food poisoning, happened twice in the last four trips. Once it started on the plane ride home, the last time it happened my last night in LOS...

I've been offered charcoal by a pharmacist, didn't help at all, immodium just makes me feel bloated. In the end I've decided it's just best to let it run it's course.

Edited by akspace

Imodium helps a lot.

Loperamide/Immodium stops your guts from moving. This can be a good thing if you need to administer antibiotics or other drugs you want to stay in the system rather than being flushed out quickly, as well as when you absolutely need to travel or do something else where it's inconvenient to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes.But as a cure for diarrhea it is absolutely useless, and in some cases the diarrhea helps to flush out the source of the problem. So to use Immodium indiscriminately or for a long period of time is a bad idea. Ginger and turmeric help to stabilize your stools from getting too loose, and cost next to nothing.

Yes Ginger and turmeric are very good. The pharmacy can go to hell. My GF and I cannot take this any longer he has got a job starting in a few weeks so he can sleep on the floor for a while and she does not mind cleaning up after us. I would enjoy the privacy, its starting to feel like that movie with the guy who never grows up moving back in to live with his best friend from childhood and he burns his living room down. Funny movie but now its happening to my life. When I want to get private time, he must leave for 2 hours every night so I can exchange weapons with my GF so NO I dont share........

A hotel doctor in Cambodia suggested ginger tea with honey, didn't stop the runs, but it was tasty.

Generally I don't suffer weeks of travelers diarrhea, more often then not I do get a case of food poisoning, happened twice in the last four trips. Once it started on the plane ride home, the last time it happened my last night in LOS...

I've been offered charcoal by a pharmacist, didn't help at all, immodium just makes me feel bloated. In the end I've decided it's just best to let it run it's course.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

if you eat cheap crap from the street carts you are going to have problems

When we are in Thailand 90% of the food we eat is bought from street vendors.

In over 12 years I have only had problems twice; both times after eating in expensive restaurants!

Yes, most tourists to tropical countries from western ones do.

Why ? There is tons of food your not used to, bacterial your body isn't sure about, the heat doesn't help, you drink to much, eat to much and of course try to always find the cheapest anything...

At least in North America you body is more used to chemicals all over your food, they nuke some things and kill bacteria.

Your bodies are weak, kind of like when you use antibacterial soap, you kill the bacteria you NEED in your system to build up a defense, you need the bacteria on your hands to kill the other stuff...

It is hard for people to understand but a sterile enviroment breads unhealthy people...

• Like 1

Yes, most tourists to tropical countries from western ones do.

Why ? There is tons of food your not used to, bacterial your body isn't sure about, the heat doesn't help, you drink to much, eat to much and of course try to always find the cheapest anything...

At least in North America you body is more used to chemicals all over your food, they nuke some things and kill bacteria.

Your bodies are weak, kind of like when you use antibacterial soap, you kill the bacteria you NEED in your system to build up a defense, you need the bacteria on your hands to kill the other stuff...

It is hard for people to understand but a sterile enviroment breads unhealthy people...

LIving in a filthy cockroach infested sewer your entire life strengthens your immune system! YEAH!

• Like 1

i would agree with avoiding the milk, i never got the squirts, and i rarely drink milk.

What do you think the ice is made of, distilled water? rolleyes.gif

I remember my first trip to Bangers, I was in the hotel restaurant for breakfast and wandered into the toilet.

All the traps were full and it was like the denouement of the 1812 Overture.

I didn't know where to cover my nose or my ears, both were under an assault the likes of which I had never experienced.

What do you think the ice is made of, distilled water? rolleyes.gif

filtered drinking water.

The locals all drink filtered water, generally reverse osmosis. Very few would drink straight tap water here (urban centers off the mains that is). It is also quite easy to tell the difference between skank ice and the purchased ice, the latter of which has the hole in the center.

by most accounts, thai tap water is potable, the issue is the lines that deliver it.

there is no economic benefit to selling dodgy ice given the expense in making it yourself. It is cheaper to buy purified ice both i terms of time and cost.

I think sometimes you need antibiotics to clear it up. I got that in Madrid about 20 years ago and managed to get home but it was a rough 16 hours at the airports and on the plane. My doctor had to give me 3 differnet antibiotics, trying one after the other before the third one fixed it right away. IIRC the third one was Cipro, but that might not work on some bugs.

I was a mess and it took at least a month trying differnet meds to get rid of it. The problem was that the bugs didn't show up in the lab. It was some kind of "burrowing" bug that didn't shed.

+1 for traveling with imodium or the generic.

Haven't seen a good diarrhea post in ages. Look I've been reading online about these things called Butt Plugs or it may have been one of those email things, regardless as far as I can figure that is exactly what these are for, stop the problem dead in its tracks.

• Like 1

I can't imagine being poor and looking for work in a country that isn't my own. Why on earth did they come here with no "back up"

Yep my thoughts exactly. Go to a pharmacy and explain that your friend has the shits and they'll give you something for it. Surely that wasn't too hard to figure out. Oh wait, I forgot who I'm talking to. You're the guy who came to a foreign country with no cash, no income and no prospects.