Phuket's ' Dive Against Debris ' Reef Cleanup Sets New World Record

webfact

Phuket's 'Dive against Debris' reef cleanup sets new world record

Phuket Gazette

w1.jpeg

PADI Dive instructor Andrei Zavafin cleans up as other dive professionals on Khao Lak Scuba Adventures' Manta Queen III clean up Banana Bay on Koh Racha Noi. Photo: Isaac Stone Simonelli

w2.jpeg

Some of the boats that took part in the event line up for a photo before returning with their debris and divers to Phuket's Chalong Pier. Photo: Isaac Stone Simonelli

PHUKET: -- The 502 participants who took part in today’s Go Eco Phuket, PADI and Project AWARE-sponsored “Dive Against Debris” can now proudly lay claim to staging the biggest reef cleanup of any kind in the world.

The record turnout surpassed pre-event expectations of 14 PADI dive boats and more than 450 participants signed up to sweep the reefs off Koh Racha Noi, Koh Racha Yai, Phi Phi Island, Koh Khao Nok and Koh Hei (“Coral Island”) clean of marine debris.

“It’s a record. Obviously we are very pleased with the event. There were hundreds of divers today together removing more than 15 tons of debris from the reefs around Phuket,” said Tony Andrews, Thailand’s West coast PADI Regional Manager and Project AWARE Ambassador.

The united effort, bringing together support from dive operators, local resorts and tourism-dependent businesses, government agencies and even the Royal Thai Navy was embodied today by the collective effort by the Royal Thai Navy and a local fishing boat to recover a discarded fishing net weighing 4.5 tons.

Clear weather smiled upon the divers taking part today and all have returned safely to Phuket to celebrate their record victory over trash dumping in the sea.

The cleanup was sponsored by the Phuket Gazette and will be covered on national television (UBC/True Visions, channel 99) by the Gazette’s new show “Phuket Today”. The show airs six times per week. For the schedule, see October’s True Visions programming guide.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...cord-18046.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-01

• Like 2

When I read this report my first thought was "Well Done" to all who participated.

But then I had a query, where did all the rubbish go that they collected ?

Does anyone know ?

Edited to correct spelling mistake. wai.gif

Edited by LeungKen

When I read this report my first thought was "Well Done" to all who participated.

Does anyone know ?

It's either gonna end up in a landfill or it will be burned!

Does anyone know ?

This was a specific issue raised and addressed by organizers. We wanted to make sure the debris was properly disposed of. The local Orbortor was a participant in this event and there were three garbage trucks at the end of the pier as we unloaded, but it was looking like that wasn't going to be nearly enough. Other than a single net weighing over 2 tons raised at Raya Noi which the Thai Navy had to bring in a special vessel for, and which went to the navy base because it was too big to put on a dive boat, everything was brought to to Chalong pier to be disposed of. Each type of debris was categorized as to determine it's origin. The next step for Go-Eco Phuket will be to address the root cause of the debris, which looks to have largely come from the fishing industry.

Huge props to PADI Rep Tony, and volunteer organizers Kerry, Khun T, and Ricky who have been working tirelessly for weeks on this. No one imagined Tony's idea would morphed into this world record. A great night of music at the After party at Keang Ang 2, attended bay 100's of participants and organizers s, was perfectly punctuated by a great set by surprise special guest Job 2 Do.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

Does anyone know ?

Firstly congrats to the organaisers who made this happen. Awareness and education especially in schools is the next step.

LeungKen's question reminds me of not that long ago after competing in the Darwin - Ambon yacht race a mirriad of "urchins" were clambouring over the black plastic sacks of non biodegdadable garbage we had collected and duitifully brought ashore by dinghy. Their hands were out looking for an earn to dispose of the waste, thinking it would be helping the local ecconomy we gave them a couple of bucks. Before anyone could stop them they scapmpered off with a sack or two each. Where to ?. Straight off the end of the jetty into the harbour.!! Not even the local officals had any interest to stop it. Thats where we throw our garbage. Havent been back for a while, I wonder if it has changed.

Does anyone know ?

It's either gonna end up in a landfill or it will be burned!

All garbage in Phuket goes to incinerator.

298532_357614237658772_932199721_n.jpg

392795_323353651084831_1038236109_n.jpg

534983_323353694418160_1228301324_n.jpg

576270_357273637692832_64989095_n.jpg

283541_357614114325451_1601227251_n.jpg

402700_357155987704597_483467759_n.jpg

523195_357614040992125_1436415269_n.jpg

Great Photos of the event. It shows a lot of interest from the participating parties. Thanks to all those who participated.

The one with 12 on the one hook reminds me of my ships cat's birthday party ( his name was Scuba by the way ) when rafted up in Cairns inlet 22 odd years ago. A great party spoilt by the Fuzz for being over .05 ( on the pick ? ) and a few other infringememts I won't go into here.

Ah yes, the joys of a western democratic society.