Fear Of Looking Like A Bodybuilder

robblok

Just made this post to make a few things clear. Often people say i want to work out get some muscle athletic but not look like a bodybuilder.

It's real hard to look like a pro bodybuilder or even a normal one it takes YEARS of hard training a good diet and then you also need your genetics to work for you.

So the fear of looking like one is really irrational, you don't workout hard and wake up looking like one.

For anyone who wants to build some muscle its good to workout like a bodybuilder. I am not talking about the crap they write in the magazines because many of such programs by famous bodybuilders are just written to sell magazines. Even if a mere mortal could do it without juice (chemical enhancements) its not really how one should train. You don't start training like a olympic athlete as a beginner. But you do learn from how they train and look for programs made for packing muscle.

Often you can find good information on training on bodybuilding sites, so take a look there.

To look good and in shape its about training hard and as important if not more important eating right and resting enough.

Just to clear a few things up, probably nobody is going to read it but saw this question pop up a few times in this forum.

I could not look like a pro bodybuilder even if i wanted too and i train real hard.

Anyway i have found that age is not really something that limits you as a fellow forum member has demonstrated. At least 15 years older but in better shape. So there is always time to start, just remember it takes a lot of time and sacrifices even to get to look a bit more in shape.. there are no half measures.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL. If you gave me another 50 years I still wouldn't wake up looking like Mr Universe. There's millions trying to reach that level - few make it even pumped full of drugs.

... but there is a quick way:

As far as i know was that guy greg valentino injecting stuff in his biceps that were not steriods. It was that what cause the problem. Syntol or something as i recall.

It's definitely not steroids. Synthol is a mixture of MCT and alcohol. The Middle Eastern bodybuilders love the stuff.

This video is good for a laugh:

And he strikes again, even bigger this time:

Edited by tropo

Is it necessary to look in the mirror for 5 minutes every time a person finishes a set?

Just wondered as it seems to be part of the routine. wink.png

I don't know about that. On many exercises I'm watching the mirror while I perform the set, but my rest periods are about 30 seconds to a minute in between sets. At Tony's gym I go over and stand in front of the fan between sets to cool down.

What do you do between sets?

Is it necessary to look in the mirror for 5 minutes every time a person finishes a set?

Just wondered as it seems to be part of the routine. wink.png

I don't know about that. On many exercises I'm watching the mirror while I perform the set, but my rest periods are about 30 seconds to a minute in between sets. At Tony's gym I go over and stand in front of the fan between sets to cool down.

What do you do between sets?

Usually head for the water and fan.

I know your comment was a stab at guys checking themselves out in the mirror, but I don't see anything wrong with this. The whole idea of the hard work is to improve the physique and to do that you have to see what is going on. Expecting guys to train without a mirror is a bit like asking a girl to apply makeup or dress up without a mirror. It's a tool of the trade. If a person sees some progress in the mirror it motivates a person to press on.

I'll give you another tip. Flexing a muscle that you've just worked can help to build it. It's an isometric contraction. It also helps you focus on the body part you are training. I do this a lot myself - in the mirror, but sometimes I'm a bit shy about it in case someone like you is watching.smile.png

Edited by tropo

I check myself out too, but nobody is the wiser of that i got my own gym and some real big mirrors in it. Its a good way to look if your progressing, the scales only say so much. Then again its not a real good way because some days you look like crap and other days you look huge or ripped or whatever.

But yes i look at myself depending on what exercise i might use the mirror to correct how i do the movement. But that is the good thing of training alone at home. Nobody to care if your posing in front of a mirror and nobody to tell you how fat you are or how bad you look tongue.png . Ideal for me

The only disadvantage i have had from working out alone was when i failed my last rep of bench press at 100kg and it lay there on my chest and i could not get it off. I could only call for help till my ex wife and a friend came to the rescue from downstairs. Here in Thailand i have a power-rack with spotbars so im safe. Never again.

Seems like my post helped produce (provoke) some good answers. thumbsup.gif

Most guys like me watch in admiration if the truth is known........it takes a lot of work!

I don't feel attacked by the remark, you can get a good answer always. Advice too about food and training, most of us are always willing to help.

Truth is once your at a certain level of muscle and fat its real hard to see progress that is part of the reason why we check.. to see if we arent moving backwards.. its real hard to really know progress. Especially because you see yourself every day. The scales don't tell much either.. extra weight can be muscle or fat or water. Fat calipers are good if you know how to use them (i dont / Tropo does).

If my goal was to get stronger i could check my progress by the weights that i lifted... now im just trying to loose fat and gain muscle.

Wow, those guys in those videos are really gross. I can definitely appreciate a well muscled person, but that is horrific!

I agree.. i mean they inject something so it will form swelling and make things look all out of proportions.

As far as i know was that guy greg valentino injecting stuff in his biceps that were not steriods. It was that what cause the problem. Syntol or something as i recall.

It's definitely not steroids. Synthol is a mixture of MCT and alcohol. The Middle Eastern bodybuilders love the stuff.

This video is good for a laugh:

And he strikes again, even bigger this time:

did he get the boob job at Yanhee

The only disadvantage i have had from working out alone was when i failed my last rep of bench press at 100kg and it lay there on my chest and i could not get it off. I could only call for help till my ex wife and a friend came to the rescue from downstairs. Here in Thailand i have a power-rack with spotbars so im safe. Never again.

I used to train alone late at night at Tony's. Failing is not really a problem for me because it is easy to dump the weights if you don't use collars - just tip the bar to one side and then problem solved when the weights have gone crashing to the floor. smile.png I only had to do this once in years.

I check my self by looking down when i can see my johnson then Im fine when I cannot off the LEO

I would not advise you to do that in the gym, people might look funny at you. Unless its a gay gym and then you probably have to run biggrin.png

I used to train alone late at night at Tony's. Failing is not really a problem for me because it is easy to dump the weights if you don't use collars - just tip the bar to one side and then problem solved when the weights have gone crashing to the floor. smile.png I only had to do this once in years.

I did not have the colars on and i could have don it the way you said. Just did not want to damage my home.

In a gym i once had the weight slide of at a triceps exercise i was on my back.. next thing i knew i dropped to the other side.

I just wish i had make a pic when i was big, none will believe it.

Even more do i wish i had kept my muscles by just maintaining them

Yea its a life long commitment you can't stop. If you stop you have to slowly stop and eat less else you might get fat. Same like with eating... we are just not made for all this food around of us.

I did not have the colars on and i could have don it the way you said. Just did not want to damage my home.

In a gym i once had the weight slide of at a triceps exercise i was on my back.. next thing i knew i dropped to the other side.

Yep, that's my technique in case of failure. If you set up heavy rubber mats, then you always know you can dump if you need to, which will give you more confidence to try that extra rep. It really helps if you know you're not going to be trapped. Personally, at the moment, I never do that slow, ball-breaking last rep that might lead to failure. I find going that close to failure gets me out of the groove and I lose the feel on the working muscle and start loading up and stressing the joints too much. Do you get that?

• 3 weeks later...

I check myself out too, but nobody is the wiser of that i got my own gym and some real big mirrors in it. Its a good way to look if your progressing, the scales only say so much. Then again its not a real good way because some days you look like crap and other days you look huge or ripped or whatever.

But yes i look at myself depending on what exercise i might use the mirror to correct how i do the movement. But that is the good thing of training alone at home. Nobody to care if your posing in front of a mirror and nobody to tell you how fat you are or how bad you look tongue.png . Ideal for me

Thats why I stopped using collars

Good point, i was working out at home and wanted to keep the floor undamaged. But i think the floor is less important as my life. Like i said it was a one time thing and it wont happen again with my spotter bars.

Good point, i was working out at home and wanted to keep the floor undamaged. But i think the floor is less important as my life. Like i said it was a one time thing and it wont happen again with my spotter bars.

I never thought of it myself, twice in my life I have had near disasters but was talking to someone a while back who said he ditched the collars and in a worst case scenario just dumps it all, not pretty but might just save you. On a similar note I was hanging upside down on an inversion table doing crunches a week ago in my home gym and it locked and I couldn't get it to release, I thought to myself this would be a particularly embarrasing way to go but I suppose it would have been interesting to know how the wife and neighbours would go about getting a 100K bloke out of that contraption. The joys of training alone I suppose but it does give you that extra little bit of motivation to sort it out.

I never thought of it myself, twice in my life I have had near disasters but was talking to someone a while back who said he ditched the collars and in a worst case scenario just dumps it all, not pretty but might just save you. On a similar note I was hanging upside down on an inversion table doing crunches a week ago in my home gym and it locked and I couldn't get it to release, I thought to myself this would be a particularly embarrasing way to go but I suppose it would have been interesting to know how the wife and neighbours would go about getting a 100K bloke out of that contraption. The joys of training alone I suppose but it does give you that extra little bit of motivation to sort it out.

I know the gravity boot problem. I am considering to get a few too but i have used them before could be problematic if you cant get up. But if you grab your legs and pull you up on those it will help.

I was once working out in a gym doing triceps exercise on the bench with a barbel. The colar was loose weights slided off on one side next moment i was on the floor ont he other side (was a narrow bench).