Storms Set To Dump Heavy Rains On Thailand This Weekend

webfact

Storms set to dump heavy rains on Thailand this weekend

THE NATION

30191504-01_big.jpg

About 50 villagers from Kookot Pattana community in Pathum Thani

100mm-per-hour deluge forecast for Northeast, North, Central regions

BANGKOK: -- Large storms are expected to bring heavy downpours throughout the country by the coming weekend, a senior weatherman said yesterday.

The regions to be hardest hit are the lower Northeast, middle North and upper Central, said Somchai Baimuang, deputy director-general of the Meteorological Department. Rainfall would be high, he predicted, at more than 100mm per hour. By comparison, a 60mm-per-hour shower ordinarily leaves Bangkok inundated for 12 hours afterwards.

Weather forecasters are keeping an eye on Typhoon Jelawat as it moves toward Taiwan and Tropical Storm Ewiniar heading toward Japan. The typhoon left at least two people dead and more than 180 injured in Japan over the weekend before passing out into the Pacific yesterday, according to news agencies.

Both storms are influencing heavy rains in Thailand, said Royol Jitdon, an expert on the Water and Flood Resources Management Committee.

Royol said his committee had nothing to do with the recent flooding in Bangkok - the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration operates the watergates.

He said he was keeping watch on the brimming reservoirs in Nakhon Ratchasima. Excessive water could leave eastern provinces inundated as it flows to Bangkok.

The committee is also working on speeding up water drainage in eastern Bangkok, but that is difficult because the waterways there are crooked and narrow, Royol added.

On the bright side, an unnamed tropical depression will be travelling past Vietnam on Thursday and could bring much-needed rain to drought-stricken northeastern provinces, Royol said.

But many provinces, especially Sukhothai and Phitsanulok in the lower North, are at risk of too much rain. Ayutthaya also faces repeated flooding, Royol said.

Eight of 12 districts in Phichit have been announced as disaster zones following floods caused by heavy rain coupled with the overflowing Yom River, which has swelled from runoff in the North.

Meanwhile, there is good progress on the construction of dams and floodgates, including the Bang Kruay watergate in Nonthaburi, said Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut. The Bang Kruay gate could prevent mass floods in western Bangkok and other provinces west of the Chao Phrya River.

A permanent floodwall on the Chao Phraya's western bank has been approved and it would prevent floods in western Bangkok as well, Theera said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-02

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" Meanwhile, there is good progress on the construction of dams and floodgates, including the Bang Kruay watergate in Nonthaburi, said Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut. The Bang Kruay gate could prevent mass floods in western Bangkok and other provinces west of the Chao Phrya River. "

Good progress? they sould have been finished by now after spending 350 Billion Baht on flood prevention.

Royol said his committee had nothing to do with the recent flooding in Bangkok - the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration operates the watergates.

The water gates had nothing to do with any recent flooding in Bangkok.

It's just pass the buck as a habit with this muppets.

"The committee is also working on speeding up water drainage in eastern Bangkok, but that is difficult because the waterways there are crooked and narrow, Royol added".

So even the waterways in Thailand are crooked....!! But seriously, what impact would a crooked waterway have on the flow of water. Have I missed something, or are rivers normally laid out in dead straight lines?

Oh, and of course, we are only the Water and Flood Resources Management Committee, so the recent flooding has absolutely nothing to do with us....!!

"The committee is also working on speeding up water drainage in eastern Bangkok, but that is difficult because the waterways there are crooked and narrow, Royol added".

So even the waterways in Thailand are crooked....!! But seriously, what impact would a crooked waterway have on the flow of water. Have I missed something, or are rivers normally laid out in dead straight lines?

Oh, and of course, we are only the Water and Flood Resources Management Committee, so the recent flooding has absolutely nothing to do with us....!!

Rivers aren't laid out in dead straight lines, but most man made canals are. The water will move faster if there is nothing blocking it's way, including a bend. The bend will cause turbulence which will affect the water speed.

If the rains continue in the Bkk area, and the predicted heavy rainfall occurs in the North, North-East & Central provences, it will be interesting to see how the revamped system works in about a weeks time when the northern run-off reaches the lower CP river.

Not a good scenario when the inept drainage system can't handle rainfall at present and the lower dams are being reported as being full. Might be a good idea to start opening the sluice gates a little?.

Happy to see that the Bang Kruay watergate in Nonthaburi is almost ready. It would certainly help us here. As long as they don't operate it in favor of BKK. One bad fact is that they did not make a floodwal on the Nothaburi side but raised the one on the BKK side effectively using Nonthaburi to dump water. But if i read correctly they are going to build a floodwall there too.

This is good news for us but not for BKK higher embankments mean more water can reach BKK. For BKK its better if other provinces flood because then they get the water slower and not in the river.

This year i don't worry much as we never flooded b4 except last year. This time the big dams still hold their water.

Ye, you've missed something. Water flows more slowly if the waterways are crooked and narrow.

If the rains continue in the Bkk area, and the predicted heavy rainfall occurs in the North, North-East & Central provences, it will be interesting to see how the revamped system works in about a weeks time when the northern run-off reaches the lower CP river.

Not a good scenario when the inept drainage system can't handle rainfall at present and the lower dams are being reported as being full. Might be a good idea to start opening the sluice gates a little?.

It will take longer than a week for the northern waters to get to Bangkok.

Means again we have this Damocles sword over our heads for not knowing if we will be flooded like last year as no information is coming throughout anyone. some say yes some say no ... hard to live like this , do I have to put all furniture upstairs ? bah.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

Nothing can really hold back Mother Nature - we are just kidding ourselves. Strange to hear North East is still in drought.

Instead of spending money on trying to protect Bangkok maybe they should come up with a plan to redirect the excess water to the north east.

Nothing can really hold back Mother Nature - we are just kidding ourselves. Strange to hear North East is still in drought.

Instead of spending money on trying to protect Bangkok maybe they should come up with a plan to redirect the excess water to the north east.

They can use all the boats they used last year during the flooding, just turn them around and and push the water upstreams!

Means again we have this Damocles sword over our heads for not knowing if we will be flooded like last year as no information is coming throughout anyone. some say yes some say no ... hard to live like this , do I have to put all furniture upstairs ? bah.gifbah.gif

I know the feeling, however the big dams have not released water so i guess we are safe.

but remember last year how slow the flooding went.. you will have plenty of time to put your furniture up. I know i will if needed. But i dont expect it this year as this village has never been flooded before except last year.

Can anyone living in Thailand tell me how this might affect Pattaya? Will it also affect the international airport? I'm scheduled to arrive on October 10th. So just wondering.

I think you should be fine. During the flooding last year many people from Bangkok came to the Pattaya to get away from the floods. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert like some people here. It is just my opinion from my observations last year.

Can anyone living in Thailand tell me how this might affect Pattaya? Will it also affect the international airport? I'm scheduled to arrive on October 10th. So just wondering.

The airport won't be affected. Pattaya might get some rain and localised flooding. It won't be like last year when everyone from Bangkok headed to Pattaya to get away from the expected flooding ... at least, not until later in the month.

How to put it in a few sentences…? Lets try. We have climatic change due to higher carbon dioxide content in our atmosphere. Mother Nature does not have eyes and a brain, it’s more like a complex organism. She does not know that e.g. fuel burn is one main reason. Hence, in Mother Nature logic, increased CO2 levels must be a result of an increasing population. To bring CO2 levels down it is necessary to reduce population. The most effective way to reduce population is to reduce some landmass where comfortable life is possible. Harder climate equals less population. Make hot places hotter, wet places wetter, cold places colder. On top of it mom tries to increase sea levels to swallow coastal areas. Climate circuit in action. As long as we do not stop to put mom in constant survival mode, we’ll have some pretty awesome weather extremes ahead of us.

How to put it in a few sentences…? Lets try. We have climatic change due to higher carbon dioxide content in our atmosphere. Mother Nature does not have eyes and a brain, it’s more like a complex organism. She does not know that e.g. fuel burn is one main reason. Hence, in Mother Nature logic, increased CO2 levels must be a result of an increasing population. To bring CO2 levels down it is necessary to reduce population. The most effective way to reduce population is to reduce some landmass where comfortable life is possible. Harder climate equals less population. Make hot places hotter, wet places wetter, cold places colder. On top of it mom tries to increase sea levels to swallow coastal areas. Climate circuit in action. As long as we do not stop to put mom in constant survival mode, we’ll have some pretty awesome weather extremes ahead of us.

Do you use a prayer mat when praying to Mother Gaia?

Plants emit vastly more CO2 than humans do.

Decaying plants emit vastly more CO2 than humans do.

What about volcano eruptions. Surely 'mother' can stop herself from spewing all that CO2 out.

What revamping is this?

They have done some cleaning and dredging. Anything else anyone knows about?

That is the daftest thing I've heard in a long time

That is the daftest thing I've heard in a long time

Indeed, what do plants do to emit significant co2?

Aerobics?

I know the feeling, however the big dams have not released water so i guess we are safe.

but remember last year how slow the flooding went.. you will have plenty of time to put your furniture up. I know i will if needed. But i dont expect it this year as this village has never been flooded before except last year.

Maybe they wait 1-2 weeks till the big dams are 110 % full before they quickly release it down to 90 % (similar to last year).