Anyone In The Chiang Mai Area Keep Salt Water Aquarium Fish?

circusman

I'm new to the Chiang Mai area (Hang Dong) and am about to set up a small salt water aquarium.

Are there any people who have salt water tanks in their home? I would like to share interests with them concerning fish keeping. Thanks.

I used to export live salt water aquarium fish from Sri Lanka so I had about a hundred tanks of them and I also set up aquariums in peoples homes and hotels,

You can find most of the information on the internet. You buy the special dry Aquarium sea salt and mix it with water. The salt has added stuff to keep the fish disease free The only problem is temperature. Especially sudden changes. Chiangmai in February when the temperature changes are very great might kill the fish. It is difficult to have a salt water aquarium but very satisfying. Provided that you can buy the special salt in Thailand.

The large aquarium supply store behind Tesco Lotus on the super highway has a small section with salt water fish so I guess they would have everything you need.

I personally have only had fresh water fish so don't know anything more.

Hi Circusman, You have made your first mistake before you have started,

a beginner,setting up a SMALL Saltwater Aquarium,the bigger the better

if you are just beginning. start with 2/3 Damsel Fish ,do not overfeed,and

most important you must replace evaporated water,daily with FRESHWATER,.

change 2/3 gallons mixed Saltwater every week.(depends on size of tank)

The best Saltwater mix to use is TropicMarin,or Instant Ocean,but think you

will only find Chinese made stuff,but will be ok if you just keep hardy species.

Good Luck, Regards Worgeordie, ps if you are just a beginner,you need to

do a lot of reading and research before you start,otherwise you will loose a

lot of livestock ,which would have been better left in the Sea.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys for the advice. I have had freshwater tanks for 40 years off and on. I have been reading on the www. about salt water for over a year. Behind Tesco is the only salt water orientated store in Chiang Mai. One of the staff is a college grad in Biology. Now day, people are setting up salt water tanks as small as 2 gallons. So with care the 15 should be fine. A few small fish and some coral. The salt I bought has no label but is recommended by the staff over a bag of more known brand. thanks again for the advice. I was really just looking for another salt water tank fan.

Have had tropical marine aquaria of many sizes in the UK for over 30 years and perceived wisdom does suggest the bigger the better regarding tank size.However the so called "nano reef" tanks on the market can be very successful .Thinking of starting up again in Chiangmai when time permits.

I'm in the UK just now but return to Chiangmai next month.Please feel free to pm me if you need any kit from here.

By the way, if you ever get to Bangkok the Chatuchak market has some very good ( and very bad) marine stores with the Siam Reef Club having a very nice clubhouse there.

there are actually a number of stores that will have saltwater stuff.

the best albeit not the cheapest is certainly shogun in katiem market,behind lotus,

but just one row over is w ocean ,last time i was there she was trying to sell a 5000 l tank/ 1/2 inch glass! for bt 20 000.

there are two 2 smaller stores outside big c on the way to san sai. good luck.

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend