Signal Booster For Ku Band Astro , Need Advice

ManOnTheRoad

Hi guys

Just wanna check with you guys if an in line amplifier would boost my Ku band 120 cm dish for my Astro Byond HD.

Currently i am only getting 65% to 70% of signal on my Astro byond set top box.

Dish : 120 cm Ku band , Universal LBN

SD Channels : All working perfectly

HD Channels : out of 10 only 5 working and the rest no signal or signal interrupt frequently .

any advice ?

found a site about in line amplifier but i am not sure if its reliable or not

http://suarakonsumers.blogspot.com/search/label/Do%20it%20Yourself%20%28D.I.Y%29

please advice me on this matter

5359628524_9c97e3ae5f_z.jpg

You'll have to give a bit more info. Where is your location, how long is your cable run?

Normally a 120cm offset dish should give plenty signal Bangkok and southerly.

But it really needs to be perfectly adjusted, both the dish and the lnb.

Signal strength usually is not an issue, but snr (also called "quality") is.

Unless you have a long cable run and/or passive splitters, a line amp is not going to help any.

It will amplify both signal and noise giving you no net gain on quality.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

It may boost signal level but at the same time it may decrease the quality level due to noise amplification which may result in overall picture degradation...you'll may be worst off than before for some channels. Inline amps are cheap so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, but the amp needs to be installed as close as possible to the LNB to minimize noise amplification; if you hook it up at the settop box input you be amplifing all the noise picked up on the line between the LNB and the amp....a much longer cable run than if hooking the amp close to the LNB.

When installing the amp recommend you have the settop box completely powered down/unplugged during the hookup of the amp. As long as you have a good quality LNB buying one of those "expensive/advertised to pickup the edge of the universe signal" LNBs probably won't help either. Now a bigger dish and/or ensuring your dish is optimally aligned on Astro should help.

I tried to split 1 dish for 2 STB but the signal was poor and unreliable. HD channels are out . I now unplug the splitter and uses only 1 dish for 1 STB and it works very well now but only 3 or sometimes 4 HD chanels not working during the day or during raining. I am located in Ramintra area.

from Dish to STB cable runs about 35 meter

I think ill give the amplifier a try since it only cost 120 baht.... will update about it soon :)

You will also need this Product as it has feedhorn http://www.satellitetvthailand.com/product_info.php?products_id=52

that will do the trick if you correctly align your dish with this feedhorn lnb

regards

Huh???

every lnb has a feedhorn.

With the small offset lnb's it' usually hidden under the white protective cap.

Ku band lnb are normally built with the feedhorn fixed. C-band lnb's have the feedhorn seperately....

• Like 1

You will also need this Product as it has feedhorn http://www.satellite...?products_id=52

that will do the trick if you correctly align your dish with this feedhorn lnb

regards

Huh???

every lnb has a feedhorn.

With the small offset lnb's it' usually hidden under the white protective cap.

Ku band lnb are normally built with the feedhorn fixed. C-band lnb's have the feedhorn seperately....

We have customer's in Buriram with jonsa dish and this lnb and have no problems to view astro

The invacom lnb is designed for this type of job in europe its the best selling lnb and is backed by 5 year warranty

A high performance professional universal LNB with an integrated feed-horn and 1 output.

Typically used with motorised dishes, or where the signal strength is poor

Regards

Edited by IPTVThailand

The invacom definitely seem to be good LNB's out of the reviews I saw...Indeed especially for weak signals.

But not because it has a feedhorn built in :)

And the Jonsa also is a good dish. I have one running (120 cm) with a cheap Sharp LNB and it gives excellent signal strength and good SNR. Easily outperformed a 7 foot prime focus dish with a high gain prime focus Ku LNB.

I tried to split 1 dish for 2 STB but the signal was poor and unreliable. HD channels are out . I now unplug the splitter and uses only 1 dish for 1 STB and it works very well now but only 3 or sometimes 4 HD chanels not working during the day or during raining. I am located in Ramintra area.

from Dish to STB cable runs about 35 meter

I think ill give the amplifier a try since it only cost 120 baht.... will update about it soon smile.png

The issue you have is very simple - the SD channels are on the low end of the Ku band and the HD channels are on the high end of the Ku band.

The universal LNB you have is designed to switch segments of the band (9750 does 10-11.6ghz and the 10600 does the 11.6-12.7ghz)) but a common universal LNB will not run both segments at the same time when the boxes are split, so to sort that you should use a dual head (output) LNB with a line run to each set top box.

Good luck with the HD segment on a 1.2m dish north of Saton...

• Like 1

If your cable is not excessive, adding the booster may actually make things ever so slightly worse as it introduces more noise.

I'd be inclined to check the type and quality of the cable first, as a previous poster pointed out the HD channels are at top end of frequency range and bad cable suffers more at higher frequencies.

:

:

Good luck with the HD segment on a 1.2m dish north of Saton...

Hi ... Do you mean that to watch the Astro HD channels in Bangkok, I will need a bigger dish than 1.2M?

I was actually thinking of installing an Astro Byond HD at home, I am currently staying in Phahon Yothin area.

Many thanks.

Latest Development, I installed the In Line Amplifier and i received 100% signal Level SD works perfectly even with rain downfall but the problem is HD channels is not working at all ....

I uninstall the inline amplifier fix my long cable and now im getting 85% HD works perfectly with the cable tweekings .

Without Inline Amp: 65%

With Inline Amp : 100% (HD not working)

Without Inline Amp-Redo cable (85%) both SD and HD works perfectly

Cheers