Is Flight Insurance Mandatory?

brahmburgers

I'm gearing up to book a BKK to LAX return flight for April. The bt.23,800 flight fee via Eva Air is ok, but I'm told there's an additional Bt.6,700 for flight insurance. The agent says it's required (ok, I can go with that), but my question to the forum: is it one-size-fits all, with no options to shop around for a cheaper policy or option? Anyone with inside info, please email me. //email removed - lopburi3//

I'm gearing up to book a BKK to LAX return flight for April. The bt.23,800 flight fee via Eva Air is ok, but I'm told there's an additional Bt.6,700 for flight insurance. The agent says it's required (ok, I can go with that), but my question to the forum: is it one-size-fits all, with no options to shop around for a cheaper policy or option? Anyone with inside info, please email me. [email protected]

Hi Brahmburgers

Think your agent may be misleading you. It could be that the additional surcharge is in fact a charge to cover additional insurance costs incurred by the airline. With the outbreak of the Iraq war all operators had to pay an additional premium and passed it on to passengers. It could be Eva Air are still paying it (unlikely) or using it as an opportunity to increase revenue :D

This has nothing to do with travel insurance which is certainly optional in Europe. Agents like you to buy it, they make commission, airlines like you to buy it, someone else picks up the tab if you are ill in transit, have an accident or they loose your bags. Your insurers pay as opposed to the airline or their insurers. :D

Check your credit cards some may give you limited travel cover? :D

Personaly, if you are young, healthy and have crap baggage then take a chance and spend the money on something more enjoyable. However if you are an elderly alcoholic with a heart problem and smoke 3 packs a day then perhaps it is money wekll spent. :o

Hope this helps

TBWG

Personaly, if you are young, healthy and have crap baggage then take a chance and spend the money on something more enjoyable. However if you are an elderly alcoholic with a heart problem and smoke 3 packs a day then perhaps it is money wekll spent. :o

Until he has a wipeout accident on that hired motocy and spends a week in ICU.

The figure of 6700baht given by the OP looks awfully like the tax on that ticket - might also include sceduled airline failure insurance that is about 60 baht?
So-called fuel surcharge and airport tax, most likely. All airlines add this, to all tickets. Check the price on the Internet for comparison. Look here.

----------------

Maestro

Until he has a wipeout accident on that hired motocy and spends a week in ICU.

In which case he'll be further up shit creek as virtually all insurance doesnt cover two wheeled accidents.

I know !!!!

Chivas

• 4 weeks later...

I asked again at me travel agency (Mandala) and they said the Bt.6,000+ is across the board recently mandated fee for passengers going to the U.S. - perhaps it's part of Homeland Security hubub and all the additional equipment and personel and sniffer dogs. Anyway, I couldn't see anyway around the payment so I forked it up.

From this part of the world I have just paid £95 quid tax on my Free TG air miles award Lon/Ban R/t ticket so what your have been asked sounds like simple airline tax..lots of threads on makup of it...

Royal Jordanian does prob.the cheapest net cost tic at the moment on above route but their particular add.Tax is over £150.... still cheap :o

Re Travel insurance...some C.C.do provide it when you use their card to buy your tic.but you gotta check since usually it only covers the journey itself...ie the flight ...Once you are there (wherever) you should have your REAL Insurance Cover....ie .Medical Min £5 million/legal...to hire a lawyer/Air Medivac and possessions....money cameras etc.

(also..Joining Amnesty International is not a bad Idea..yes I am...)

Yearly Hol multi trip Insurance can be had from @ £40 a year...

:D