Recommendations For Tour Agencies For All Inclusive Half Day Or Whole Day Tours Of Bkk

otissp

I have some friends coming in who want to book some tours of the city.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tour agency that meets the following criteria:

-Does NOT have to be inexpensive. You get what you pay for, usually.

-Reliable, good english, friendly, good experience, etc.....

-All-inclusive.... they shouldnt have to worry about anything. Just walk around, or ride around, etc., with the tour guide and be shown the sights. (It's ok if they pay entry fees themselves, but I just mean, they shouldnt need to have to find their way around anywhere on their own, etc... assume completely lost incompetent foreigner being led around)

The usual touristy stuff - anything is fine. Temples, jim thompson house, etc....

Thanks for any tips. I see lots of places on the internet but I have no idea what they would get if they signed up. Could just be some random half motivated person with poor english skills showing up and hopping in a cab for a 2 hour wait in traffic then saying "Ok tour's over sorry for the trouble."

Well doubt it would be that bad... but who knows.

thanks in advance

Edited by otissp

It sounds easier said than done. I've used an agent on Soi 11(near the German Beer House) for 1/2 trips & they will only pick up at hotels which can be a pain getting your guests to a hotel at 0600 for a 0630 departure. I booked my Aunt on a trip to River Kwai and 50% of the people on the coach were Japanese and Korean (nothing wrong with that but she really wanted to visit the cemetery and the guide simply skipped that part of the tour out of consideration for the majority)

I learnt from that, and simply found a decent English speaking taxi driver and laid out a couple of trips. It was great for going to the malls, Jim Thomson et al the driver sat in the carpark and she shopped and had somewhere to leave her parcels.

One caution, I sent her to the Floating Market and the driver charged 2000 baht plus I added a tip for the ride however he took her to the most expensive boat charter klong tour operator (+3000) because he made commission, not a big deal but a little irritating.

I also looked at this site but didn't pursue it as I was happy with the driver.

http://www.toursbylocals.com/find_guide&area=16

if you trust TA-then follow their advice.

WHY? On this board, tipically long-term expatrs etc post, not the avreage tourist. Thus they will hardly have any exp. on what you ask.

point 2: take the 1 closest by-it really (and you should know BKKs'famous traffic) does not make any sense at all to use a service thats miles away, just becse some unknown one told its sooooo good. ANY agency ofers all tours you mention-plus a few more, if not enough pax, they'll simply combine with others-in the end you dont know which one is the 'real'' organiser.

SO: if money is no object, use a private guide-those that are often mentioned on TA, and in a taxi or hire-car by the day. MUCH better as groups, who always, believe me, always, go for shopping, earning commission, making money etc.-and at the pace of the slowest of all the participants.